nano hood pics

tommyp

Woo hoo brand spanking new forum/site!!!! Great job Teri et al.

Well here are some pics of my 5.5 diy hood with 19w daylight curlies. These diy hoods work great for nanos! need to add some actinic soon.

Attachments

• dscn1663.jpg
    dscn1663.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 258

Craig Manoukian

Welcome!

Those are a great idea for nanos! Great space savers and they will run cooler than regular PC lights! Are they the same spectrum as other aquarium lighting?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

tommyp

thanks all

CM- It has been set up for a month now. I used fully cured rock and LS from my 65. Never saw a cycle with salifert tests. I added more live rock than what is in the picture. I am using it as a semi quarantine tank/nano. It has a green clown goby a lone ric and a tiny cleaner shrimp. Kinda moved a bit fast on this tank and am sort of regretting it as goby is showing some signs of ick. He might have been stressed at the newness of the tank or just had it at the LFS. I had them hold him for a two weeks but never saw any signs of ick there but he developed it two weeks into being in the 5.5. Glad I didn't drop him in the 65 right off. Thinking about using the ruby reef ick meds but not sure.

The lights are 6500k I believe you can get them at Depot for 7.50. The fixtures are $2 or so at depot as well they are not water proof but pretty well protected.

fid,

For the hood it is pretty easy. It is just 4" crown moulding from depot. You have to cut to fit the dimensions your tank. I did 45degree miters on the corners and then put a regular 1x piece of poplar for the back. I put glue blocks inside the coners which also serve as a lip to hold the hood over the tank.

The back piece is lowered so that when i put the lid on it it would sit flush. The lid is 1/4" luaun cut to fit.

I'll check the 20watt coral life was going to use the 13watt actinc from hello lights

I'll post a more in depth hood making post when I make another I didn't take in progress shots of this one. I have to do up a new hood for the 65.

Thanks

Tom

whodakind

wow that's nice great job bro...now i have an idea how to make me one for my 1.5 gallon pico...thanks !

whodakind

:bigbounce wow that's nice great job bro...now i have an idea how to make me one for my 1.5 gallon pico...thanks !:sinking:

yeah why not.. heres a nano hood i built for a 2.5 gallon AGA tank. They are 10w each so 30w on a 2.5g tank equals 12watts per gallon. nice!
IMGP1804.jpg

and on the tank.
IMGP1800.jpg