Yarr's 100G Reef Project

Yarr

Got the tank back.. has holes in it.. the right ones. and no extra cracks.. good stuff all around i think.. also started paining it today... the back that is. will post some in progress pics when i can be bothered uploading them :)

Yarr

Ok.. water is back in the tank.. livestock is back in. no losses. fittings are in the holes.. need ot find a screen that i can place over the holes.. that wont be too hard.

The fuge is in the sump curing. I will make ths skimmer stand inside the sump soon. that wont be too hard. Im just lazy :)

No word yet on new tank arriving. and we havent even begun to make the new stand yet. nee dot get onto that. had issues with car needing 700 bucks in repairs this pay so things are put back a bit.

Yarr

In one of ym many hours tryign to get to sleep last night i had an idea. At the moment i was going to just let the returns to the 100 gal just enter tanka nd do their own ithing in hope of letting it mushroom and flow around. They are 2 holes located kinda centrally. What i was tihnking of doing now is plumbing them both into a common pipe with 4 outlets evenly spaced along the bottom of the tank. I am tihnking thise will work better because i still get the mushooming aswell as getting a more evenyly distrubuted flow at the same time as not letting much settle on the bottom which i hpe will allows more stuff in the water stream to be sent to the skimmer to die a painful death :D

Then i got thinking.. if the pump stops i drain the entire tank into my sum... that cannot do. so i started thinking of ways to break the siphon WHEN that happens. I was thinking of tee'ing in a little bit of capped pipe and drilling a bucnch of holes in it on each of the risers just below the waterline. When the pump is on i will get water ocmin gout of them.. big deal.. bu when it goes off and the tank gets to that level then i figure the added air will break the siphon. Im just trying to work out how many holes it will take to do the job without letting too much water escape though it.

Does anyone have any comments or ideas for this ? I realise a closed loop would be bettre but i cannot afford to run another external pump for each tank so tryin gto do the return and the 2 tanks ( 100 gal and 180 gal ) with the 1 pump.

tommyp

Drill a small hole at the top of the piping just under the water level this will work to break the syphon. I did this on my tank. I have a 1/4" hole or maybe a little smaller it doesn't take much. It is on a big return so it really shoots a little jet out the hole.

or

Put a check valve in. Have it split off the return at the top of the pulmbing and have it plumbed with a couple 90's to return water back to the tank ( above the water line a bit). If it fails open the water will just dump back into the tank with out issue. When the return pump is running it forces the check valve closed and when the pump stops the check valve opens and breaks syphon.

Yarr

yeh problem i see with a check valve is that it could get stuck.. with salt buildup aswell as algea and all sorts of other things. i wouldput put 100% faith in it personally.. i want redundacny and garanteed sucess rate. The area we live in is prone to tropical storms and power interruption is rfrequient. if only for a few minutes at a time. Still long enough to make a big mess and empty the tank.

Yarr

Thankyou all for the birthday wishes :D

ok... the new tank FINALLY arrived.. alls eems well. io havent seen it yet as i am still away on course. stupid army! I get to go home for a few days over easter so will be able ot hae a look at it then.

Our largest clown died the other week. i dont know why.. just happened. everything seemed ot be ok with the params and stuff.

Kylie hasn't been able ot do a great deal of tank maintainance as everytime she goes near it she gets dizzy and feels sick.. which brings me to...

IM GONNA BE A DAD!@!@!

Yarr

Thanks guys for the kidn thoughts.

update.. first on kylie.. she is doing well. getting a nice cute preggy belly.. it rocks! um.. 19 weeks now.. found ou tlast night that she is due on Doni's birthday! how odd is that.. :)

now for the tank.

A mate came around otday to measure up the new tank and stuff so we can start buildin gthe stand. he is giving me a hand mainly becuase 1> i lack serious motivation atm and 2. i lack serious motivation atm.

Once it is started ot get built then i will get back into it and get it all hooked up.

Then it is off to start buying those real expensive child keeping things.. thes things are more expensive to keep than fishtanks.. whoo woulda thunk it!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
That is too cool!! October babies rock! ;)

Lack of motivation... I can relate! It helps a lot if you can have someone else to help keep you focused. Get jiggy~~ :D

Witfull

just wait,,,,babies get bigger,,as does their monitary needs~~~

mine are grown up now and finally,,,,finally, my money is my money again!

Yarr

I am so pissed of and disgruntled at the moment that i am thinking about giving the whole thing the arse.

butterfly.. dead.. pair of bi colour angels.. dead.. tomato clown... dead..
params are ok. everything is ok.. but apparently not.. why is it i cannot keep fish for any period of time. why is it that whenver i get motivated to do soemthing to this tank and make it better.. something bad happens and it becomes so much of a struggle it isnt even worth the time. why is it that i hav to spend so much more money than everyon eelse just to get up to an acceptable standard.. for a few eyars now i have had a marine tank.. in that time it has never ever once looked like any decent tank i have seen on the net.

WTS 100 gal, 180 gal and a whole pile of ****.

blue_eyes53813

Im Sorry you are having such a hard time.. I think all of us go through stages of "gosh why am I doing this" Some get flatworms and hairalgae and lose alot of fish for no apparent reason.. This Hobby can be very rewarding at times and very frustrating too. I hope you hang in there and keep trying..

I too am going through the same thing.. My tank has been going great, Got it stocked the way I want and thinking to myself that I can sit back and watch it grow....... I noticed the drastic hair algae in between two rocks yesterday.. I am thinking also,,,, I should just tear it all down and put up a book case.. If this hair algae takes over , I probably will do that....

But again we have to learn from our mistakes and not do it again and hopefully have that tank we want..... Thats where RS comes in for the help...

Losing the amount of fish that you did may be something simple, like adding to much to fast or a predator in the tank... I think yours can be fixed ... Just be glad you dont have to deal with the dreaded ick or hair algae or flat worms.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:( Ian, It must be something...

• Water parameters (temp, trAtes, salinity, amm, nitrItes)?
  • Are there any inverts living? Snails, crabs, shrimp? If not, test for copper! If you do not have a test kit, take a water sample to your LFS and get them to check it.
  • How is your water flow? Low oxygen might be an issue?
  • Any signs of disease on the fish? Flashing, darting, gasping for air, spots, white film, etc.?
  • Are the fish eating well? What are you feeding them? Old food can spoil
  • What fish do you have now? Any large aggressive fish?
  • Are you dosing with anything?
  • How are you topping off? Daily?

Yarr

no flat worms yet.. but had to deal with the others already.. also.. mantis shrimp.. crabs.. other shrimp. BUCKET load of bad advice.. bad substrate, appalling skimmer.. which now ibecusae of it i have to repaint the wall behind the tank becuase of water splash making paint bubble.

what. else.. nah that wildo for now..

thanks for the kidn thoughts though.

Yarr

params are fine.
I dont have any inverts since ridding the tank of the last pests
water flow is in the vicinity of 15X turnover
no signs of disease apart from the butterfly that i told you about
fish are eating fine. i threw some food otu the other week coz i didn tliek the look of it but it is still new
only fish left alive are a lunar wrasse, perc clown, and a damsel looking thing. that is the most submissive fish i have ever seen.
not dosing with anything currently. Calcium is fine all morphs and bubble coral and other wierd looking thing i have are doing great.
i top off every second day with RO/DI water.