Yarr's 100G Reef Project

Yarr

Certainly do. It is inbuilt on both inlet and outlet sides of the RO/DI. Tap water is sitting at 580ppm atm which is about averag for this area of the world. Well below acceptable limits written in legislation here. Output side is reading at 0. I checked ot make sure the probe was in properly, which it was, so im happy with that. Tastes good too :p

One of my roles in the army is to create drinking water. That is a task that we did, along with some pretty freaky other stuff, in Sumtra after the Tsunami on Dec 26. I got a pretty decent grip on what elvels of what is sposed ot be in pottable water. The smaller unit produces 7500L per hour of good water and the large unit which we used most of the time over there produces 20,000L per hour. Would make water changes rather fast.

Yarr

I've been thinking with my sump setup to make 1 system to support both my tanks. Even though i will lose quarantene ability i think it iwll be most cost effective and stable due to the greater volume of water. Should be fun too :D

anyone have any ocmments on this ?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Keep your QT abilities.... even if you have to purchase a small 10 gal for a QT. Imagine having a tank full of sick fish :( It's not fun trust me.

Yarr

Good idea.. I just figured more water volume more stable betterer and easier for me to maintain.

Good idea on small system though. iw ill have enough stuff left over after ive finished to fit out a small system

Yarr

I've just found out that it is legal in my state to collect livestock whether it be fish/Live rock or corals from the ocean/water ways and beaches for indiviaual non commercial use, and aslong as it isnt in a nature reserve. I am a very firm believer of protecting the reefs and the landscape in general but this does open up a great oppertunity for me to procure selcted pieces of rock ( which i have a massive shortage of here and cant ship any from interstate ). I'hve heard of a fella that walks out at low tide and get stuff from an exposed reef once every few months. We get 8m ( about 24 foot ) tides here and the reef only gets esposed about once a month. So i figure that there isnt too much of an issue with over farming. At the next oppertunity i will go out to said reef and have a looksee. Moreso for my own curiosity than anything. Itd be a great outting to have a look at a reef in its natural environment without actually getting wet :p Ill see if i can get pics for you all :)

Yarr

Yeh.. if i grab anything at all that is. wanna have a looksee befor ei do anything.If i do. it'll be rock mainly i think

Woodstock

RS STAFF
What a nice opportunity!!! I wanna go!!! LOL~ Definately get some pics for us!

:D

Yarr

ok. I started the process of moving all my stuff over to the 4 ft so i can go BB on the 6. Everythign is now moved and i am draining water. I've decided to drain and bin the water so i can start anew. I know this will take a lot longer to cycle and whatnot but i think it is the best way to go.. that way i am starting from a fresh slate and not introduce previous problems ( nitrates/phosphates ).

All i need to do now is start the hunt tomorrow for a supplier of that plastic cutting board stuff. Find some marine proof glue and it will be gold :)

On a side note the 4ft is looking quite full and quite nice if i must say so myself :)

I will see if i cant get spics of it. I SO need my camera fixed :/

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Sounds like a good plan! How convenient that you have another tank to use! I would like to put cutting board on my bottom too.

Yes... get your camera fixed so we can see!

Nelkna

Hunama Bay..now THAT brings back some memories ...A fantastic place ... ....Can't help but enjoy ....
:swmfish:

Yarr

ok Update. I've just moved everything out of the 4ft back into the 100 gal. Some of the fish werent too happy about it but im sure they will get over it :)

I bought the cuytting board material to line the bottom of the tank with. I did not stick a layer of substrate to it liek i was going to do. After i sat the board ( 3 pieces ) in it looked quite fine like that and i thought it was acceptable witout adding the risk of importing toxins with any form of adhesive.

The 4ft is now clean and drained. All the substrate is gone and i am just about to start re-filling it using RO/DO water. It also is now BB and has a layer of cutting board on the bottom.

Im pretty flat otu with work at the moment. Working very long days and not staying at home. Having said that i am trying to do as much as i can to the tanks. This still includes setting up the sump, getting a new Skimmer and plumbing both tanks into 1 system. I need to manafacture OVerflaows and find a way to get them into the tank whilst full. I need to make standpipes and also physically construct the sump. oh.. and if that wasnt enough i have started planning the return manifold :D I wish i coudlget you all some pictures and get started on all this but as i said before work kind of inhibits this somewhat. If anyone has any hangon EASY to uderstand overflow/standpipe designs i woudl be most appreciative.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Is this photo helpful?

0012250799-800.jpg

http://www.saltyzoo.com/PhotoAlbum/...&list=629,630,631,632,633,634,635,636&res=800

Yarr

Thanks guys.

I was thinking.. why can i not have the overflow in the tank and the pipe going straight out over the side into the sum instead of going do a holding area on the other side of the tank then siphoned out ?

do i at all amke sense ?

tommyp

I don't think it would hold syphon if the power went out. it would just suck the water out of the display and then loose syphon. Power comes on and your sump is pumped dry and tank overflows onto the floor.

Tom

Yarr

Nothing much to report. I am waiting for time and money to start building the sump and stuff. Sine going BB my Nitrate and phospahte levels have started to drop quite well. Still a bit of phosphate in there but i attribute that to the LR shedding as part of a cycle. Should come good in time.

All the time i was out in the field with work ( army ) i was thinking how i would plumb both tanks into a common sump. Where to place the valves.. i must say that it is a bit daunting. Im sure it will be fine in the end.