chromis spawn?

tommyp

I have a chromis that is rubbing its belly on the back wall of my aquarium. going in circles. I have 5 chromis in my tank and every 30 secs or so another will come over and swim in contact with it in circles than swim away.

Its pretty crazy. I'll try to take a video on the dig cam.

Tom

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:( It won't play. I get this error..
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I tried quicktime and windows mediaplayer... I get this message with quick time...
you may experience problems playing a video track in "chromis.mov" because the required compressor could not be found.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ahhh the second link works good!

Wow.. that does look like some sort of a spawning dance....

tommyp

I have the latest mac version of quicktime that has some newer codecs that might not play in the windows versions. I am glad the avi works.

Tom

Jerome

I don't know to much about fish behavior, but spawning would make the most sense as far as an educated guess would go. I found this quote of marine fish spawning "Clownfish and damselfish (such as our green chromis), however, attach their eggs to rocks, defending them from predators and keeping them clean until they hatch. The larval fish are then planktonic as described above." I do know many fish "practice" before the actual spawning. Circling and vibrating are also common mating courting practices, but needless to say I am guessing...