Search results

1. kinghokus420

Refractometer calibration woes.

After reading several threads about cheapo refractometers, you know the RHS-10ATC ones, and how more than a few arent quite calibrated right. I decided to check mine for myself (blue handle). I hopped on to a sponsor site, ordered the pinpoint solution and waited. when it showed up i started by...
  2. kinghokus420

wire for vho's

what size wire do i need to hook up a 2 light 110w vho retro setup? i have the ballast and endcaps. the less than helpful gentleman at the hardware store irritated me so i left without a definitive answer. he was pushing solid copper wire and/or romex due to high startup voltage. was he right...
  3. kinghokus420

Lumatek digital ballasts

Has anyone ever used one of these? i've found it at 2 different sites for the same price, but the reviews of it are the same(word for word)? i need new ballasts, one is seriously crapping out on me right now. these look like a great deal. so with "my people" right around the corner.... i get...
  4. kinghokus420

250w hamilton lights

400$ 48"Hamilton lighting fixture ballasts unknown age. ive had them approx. 2 years with zero problems. 2x250w MH 10k reeflux bulbs approx 9 mos old. have been run 8-9 hrs a day 2x110w VHO, Super Actinic R, URI 3mos old 10 hrs day NO SHIPPING.(it waaay to expensive) local...
  5. kinghokus420

flatworms? need id help.

i just noticed these guys on the glass of my refugium. small grey and forked tail. they seem to be concentrated near the light. i only see them in a small area. 6x6. nowhere else in the tank. anyone have an idea?
  6. kinghokus420

Feather Starfish

my lfs has a really cool looking feather star.instead of forking out some cash, i left quickly to do some research. from what i found the seem to be filter/detritus feeders that require stable parameters. i've got the water covered. what i would like to know is if anyone has any experience with...
  7. kinghokus420

Stupid ich.

why is it when i have a planned housefull of guests for turkey day that my tangs all of a sudden have an ich outbreak? stupid ich. now i have to explain to my wifey why i need to set up another less than attractive tank in her livingroom to treat the fish. stupid ich. stupid tangs. i know what...
  8. kinghokus420

moving sump to garage

ok, im having a mental block here. i want to move my sump/fuge, pile of crap, and everything else out to the garage. the problem im having, is how do i get the h20 from the tank to the garage. the main tank is approx 30' away, the drains are 36" from the floor, the garage floor is 48" below the...
  9. kinghokus420

isopods

ok, well maybe i have spent way too much time staring at my fuge today, i noticed a proliferation of isopods on the glass. my question is, how do iknow if the isopods i have are good and not the parasitic kind?
  10. kinghokus420

coralline on macro algae

i was just looking at my super sloooooow growing macro ball and it appears that it has pink coralline spots on it. is this normal? my fuge is getting covered but the macro itself? i think i need something faster growing. i dont know what flavor the macro is, it is just what the lfs had in their...
  11. kinghokus420

spider conch

i just found a spider conch at my lfs but i cant find much info on them. it appears to be common spider conch, lambis lambis. the little i can find on them has conflicting info about what they eat and do. google isnt much help. anyone know anything about them?
  12. kinghokus420

mixing chromis?

can i mix blue and green chromis? or do they need to stay seperated. i was thinking that a mixed school would look different.
  13. kinghokus420

fiasco part 2

ok well this is my 2nd tank and the 2nd fiasco. I started this adventure with nothing but a blank glass box and a very empty wallet. well that just wouldnt do by itself. i needed a stand. so off i go with the table saw, drill, and and a stack of 2x4's this is what i came up with...
  14. kinghokus420

i dremeled the tank today.........

i was looking at the lifereef page this morning and decided i really didn't want a siphon type overflow. so i sat there thinking about how spendy a glass bit was and then i remembered it...the dremel. yeah that's it i will dremel a couple of holes in the tank and build a couple of overflow...
  15. kinghokus420

spots on bta

My green BTA has recently developed brown spots all over it.it looks like it is changing color. but only in little round spots. some of the tentacles have shriveled but othewise it still does its daily routine without fail. it lives on the underside of a rock so it must turn 180* to get light...
  16. kinghokus420

bleaching maze brain help!

howdy all, I'm having some issues with my tank as of late.. my newest addition a maze brain is bleaching and my tank is getting overrun with hair algae. i didn't get any hair until the coral started bleaching. I'm sure i put in too intense of light too soon (lesson learned). all of my...
  17. kinghokus420

Just a few pics

I just wanted to share a few pics of the fiasco. this is all i have in there so far.
  18. kinghokus420

big tank in ny

just found this, a 72x18x24 on propertyroom.com its a police auction site. :wit: its in nyc metro the bidding starts at 20$ great deal for any ny'ers out there.i would jump on it but the drive from cali would kill me...
  19. kinghokus420

reef talkshow

i just found this on another forum its pretty cool. its a reef talkshow on the web. www.talkingreef.com josh
  20. kinghokus420

Airwaterice

i just bought their 6 stage dual reef/home ro/di and what a great filter. very solid and no chintzyness at all. super simple to install. i highly recommend them. very fast shipping and well packaged. i can definetly taste the difference in my drinking water. (still saving $$ for reef) josh