fiasco part 2

kinghokus420

ok well this is my 2nd tank and the 2nd fiasco. I started this adventure with nothing but a blank glass box and a very empty wallet.

DSCN7685.jpg

well that just wouldnt do by itself. i needed a stand. so off i go with the table saw, drill, and and a stack of 2x4's
this is what i came up with. apparently it was good enough to attract a mermaid!
doubled up 2x4's in the corners 2 2x4's in the field and a 3/8" ply top and bottom. plus a bit of extra shear support.
DSCN0997.jpg

ok well the basic stand is done, now i need something to hide in it.. i know!! i have an extra 45g laying around, i'll make a sump! and i kick a$$, more mermaids!!!!

DSCN1003.jpg

now what!! i have a tank,a half a stand, and a sump/fuge. hmmm how am i going to get the water from the tank to the sump? get the dremel of course.

DSCN7693.jpg

ok the holes are in the tank. and im still too poor and addicted to wait for enough $ to but an overflow. but.. i do have some tinted glass out back. its not very dark but the price is right. and coralline hides everything eventually.

DSCN1265-1.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED...i need to bring it in the house now. the help is here.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
WOOHOO! thats awesome but I dont think mermaids can carry much with that tail and all. Good luck with the install and more pics please. Steve

kinghokus420

the deed is done. i had to recruit my mother in law to help with the muscles. she was next door and im impatient.

well where was i?
ahh yes the plumbing. it was straightforward and basic i avoided all of the cool stuff my mind came up with.

everythings 1" pvc. (i still need valves to control what goes where)

DSCN1266.jpg

so this is what it looks like in the garage before it came in the house.

DSCN1263.jpg

as you can see i've already stocked it with a jeep fish, i dont think it is too reefsafe though. i have the boat on ready to rescue it though!
DSCN1264.jpg

i ran out of wood to do the hood, and with summer coming up it may be next winter before i get er done.

i have 110G of water ready to go. 1/2 of it is already mixed.

DSCN1268.jpg

OK...as of 9:00A pst on monday 5/21/2007 here it sits in its final resting spot(until the wife sees it)

DSCN1269.jpg

at last the seal of approval (for a few minutes)

Photo20.jpg

kinghokus420

i forgot to add, what was going in it..
all of this will be transferred.

DSCN7639.jpg

asm G2(gate valve for now, mesh and recirc eventually) in the sump with a mag 9 for return.

thats pretty much it until i find a new job.

vdituri

Them's the cutest mermaids around!
Oh yeah the tank looks fantastic!
Can you build me a stand? Wowsers.
Premo job.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
mmm the two seater couch aint gonna fly like that, but I do like the cool LFS shopping carts. Looks like a productive day! carry on.

BoomerD

That's coming along nicely Josh...

Anyone else notice...those girls MUST take after their mom...(fortunately) ;) :p

kinghokus420

The Deed Is Done!!!!

48 hrs after bringing it in the house this is what it looks like.

DSCN1327.jpg

ATO & ballast

DSCN1324.jpg

main sump

DSCN1325.jpg

and the fuge

DSCN1326.jpg

during this whole ordeal i did find a 2-3" scutus hiding in the sump. kinda freaky looking. and my nem split last night. i woke up to 2 small ones. if my nem lives through this i will eat my shoe(no i wont)

this is what it went through a month ago

DSCN7659.jpg

everything is opened up and looking good so far. i just need to let it catch up with itself and grow for a while.

ust a recap of the goods...
135 g tank
approx 150 lb LR
2" ssb
45g sump/fuge
10g topoff reservoir
autotopoff.com dual float ato.
mag 9 return
asm g2 with gate valve
1x100w, 1x250w heaters.
2 seio 820's
2x250 xm 10k (new bulbs with tank setup)
2x110w vho (also new with setup)
phosban reactor
and a few filter bags

now im just down to getting rid of the micro bubbles in the fuge(fed from main tank) and putting some greenery in there.

jhnrb

very exciting thread, wonderful project, great work. congrats on your momentum. I throughly enjoyed this thread. keep it comming.

kinghokus420

ok time for some 1 month update pics!!
DSCN7748.jpg

DSCN7752.jpg

DSCN7746.jpg

DSCN7745.jpg

DSCN7741.jpg

i am having one helluva hair algae outbreak at the moment,, but i did change salt, all bulbs and switched tanks, at the same time. im doing 25gal 2x a week to knock it down until i can get the fuge going.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Nice job Josh! Looking great!:thumbup: The hair clip thingy in the first photo is killing me. Did your female housemates put that there, or is it actually doing something?:lol: My wife leaves those things all over the house!