Feather Starfish

kinghokus420

my lfs has a really cool looking feather star.instead of forking out some cash, i left quickly to do some research. from what i found the seem to be filter/detritus feeders that require stable parameters. i've got the water covered. what i would like to know is if anyone has any experience with them. i have 1 other serpent star in my 135 if it matters.

michael_cb_125

I would not get a feather star. They are not like other Sea Stars. These guys need tons of free floating food. They need to be fed often, and this usually equals unstable water in our closed systems. These guys just have a terrible survival rate in captivity. ~Michael

reefjitsu

Not a good candidate for aquariums. I have heard of a few rare success stories, but they are generally unkeepable. Too bad, because they are awesome critters.

lcstorc

I saw one at my lfs as well. I thought about buying it until I heard how difficult they are to keep. It died soon after still at the lfs.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
This is one of those species that fits the saying, "...If you don't buy it, they will stop selling it." Even if you wanted to try, I'd say pass on it. Have the will power to tell the collectors, distributors and sellers that as educated hobbyists we won't buy this species.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
They should be left in the ocean unless you are on a rescue mission from the LFS, as they may be better off in your tank than a LFS but Scott has a valid point.

framerguy

i'll just let it be
That's the best choice you could make. The LFS shouldn't even have it at all! It takes a gargantuan size tank to even stand a chance of keeping one. Even a 500g is probably to small.