Search results

1. S

Acrylic VS Glass

I currently have a glass tank and I'm thinking about purchasing a acrylic tank next time. My only concern is that scraping coraline might scratch the acrylic and create a nightmare. Most of my LFS say to get glass for this reason, however, glass is what they have in stock. I know acrylic is...
  2. S

JBJ nano cube HQI 28?

This tank looks pretty good, however, I am hoping to find someone who owns one and hear their opinion. I currently have the Red Sea Max, and I'm 50 /50 with it. I don't like the very limited amount of room in the back for adding a pump for a chiller. I like the lights, however, I feel they...
  3. S

Brain coral help

I've had a brain coral for several months with no problems. It opens and feeds properly and looks great. However, besides the sand there isn't a good place for it in my tank. So I gave it to my brother and it was fine for about three weeks, then overnight it started massive bleaching. It...
  4. S

Scrippts ocean water - Do I have an advantage?

Hi, my question might seem odd, but might I have an advantage using real ocean water from Scrippts in San Diego(over using synthetic salt mixes)? My water is delivered to my LFS and then cycled 24 hours and runs through a UV. I used to have another reef tank a couple years ago, and it was...
  5. S

Basic ricordea questions

Today at my LFS I was given a rock with 4 white and pink ricordeas. In the store a week ago, they looked great, but today they looked small but still had color. The owner thought they were dying so he just gave them to me. These are my first ricordeas and I'm not sure where to place them in...
  6. S

Calcium gluconate ?

When I was at my LFS today, I saw a new product I haven't seen before. It's called Calcification by Aquavitro (a seachem product) and it contains calcium chloride and calcium gluconate. My question is what is calcium gluconate? Sometimes Kalk just isn't enough to maintain my calcium level, so...
  7. S

Green star polyp question

I sliced off a peice of my green star polyp mat and rubberbanded them to a rock. They open fully every day,however, I wondering how long they should take to attach to the new rock. One person told me one or two days, and someone else said two weeks. Anyone done this lately. My water...
  8. S

Temperature and coraline

I was at my LFS today and one of the more knowledgeable reef guys says he notices coraline grows much faster at 76 degrees than warmer temps of maybe 79 - 80 deg. Anyone experience this?
  9. S

Another Kalkwasser question

After reading many posts and talking to several people, everyone seems to give differing opinions for using Kalkwasser. I have a Kent aqua dose and I purchased Kent Kalkwasser. At my LFS, they told me to make a gallon by adding 2 teaspoons of Kalkwasser to RO/DI and gently stir it. Then let...
  10. S

My coraline/reef learning experience

When I started my tank I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get any coraline to grow. I now know why and in less than 3 weeks my coraline (and my corals)have gone crazy. My hair, green and red algaes haved stoped growing and I can see white on the rock again. My couple of snails easily maintain...
  11. S

T-5's / Power Compact question

Is there a difference in how fast Coraline grows with t-5's or power compacts opposed to halides? Has anyone had both halides and t-5's and noticed a difference? Just something thats been bothering me for a while. Thanks
  12. S

Ecosystem products?

Has anyone else tried there 3 part calcium and magnesium balling supplements? My fish store has had super success with there 3 part system. I decided to try them and so far they seem pretty good. After speaking with their tech support, they claim there three products pretty much supply the...
  13. S

Coraline questions

I started my tank at the end of January and have only seen a little coraline growth. All my tank parameters are fine, all my corals are growing and doing great, but why so little coraline? I have all Tonga branch live rock. There has been a few new spots here and there but nothing major. My...
  14. S

Coraline question

I started my tank at the end of January and have only seen a little coraline growth. All my tank parameters are fine, all my corals are growing and doing great, but why so little coraline? I have all Tonga branch live rock. There has been a few new spots here and there but nothing major. My...
  15. S

Red sea max chiller pump install?

Has anyone installed a chiller in the Max? I purchased a Current USA -Prime 1/15 chiller and now I need to purchase a pump to feed it. Most pumps seem to be a little to big for the little compartment where the pump is supposed to go. Anyone had similar problems, and how did you make it work?
  16. S

Ocean water VS premixed saltwater

I tried seaching and found a couple of threads but nothing that fully answered my questions regarding ocean water. I'm live in Southern California. All of my local fish stores sell premixed saltwater and ocean water from The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego . My local...