Another Kalkwasser question

After reading many posts and talking to several people, everyone seems to give differing opinions for using Kalkwasser. I have a Kent aqua dose and I purchased Kent Kalkwasser. At my LFS, they told me to make a gallon by adding 2 teaspoons of Kalkwasser to RO/DI and gently stir it. Then let it sit for a couple hours and try and scrape the thick layer off the top. Last, they said to add the clear solution (and not the bottom) to the aqua dose bag and drip slowly into my tank.

After reading the directions on the Kent KalKwasser, it doesn't say anything about scraping the top harder layer off the final mix. Also I've read, some people add a small amount of distilled vinegar to help the Kalkwasser dissolve better. Should I be doing that? Can anyone help guide me in the right direction?

BobBursek

The vinagar thing is true but it adds organic carbon and can cause fuel algae growth. Never heard about scrapeing the top layer and I dose Kalk and never had to do that.

BobBursek

What size Kent container do you have? The 1gal drips from the bottom, the 21/5 and 5gal do not, and you donot what the settlement in the tank. It takes about 2-4 hours after mixing to settle out.

What size Kent container do you have? The 1gal drips from the bottom, the 21/5 and 5gal do not, and you donot what the settlement in the tank. It takes about 2-4 hours after mixing to settle out.

I have the small half gallon dripper, which drips from the bottom. I purchased it because my tank is a small 34 gal

panmanmatt

The top crust is a layer the kalk forms to keep carbon dioxide out. Carbon dioxide will lower the PH of the mix. I take the top layer with the water when I fill my drip container.

Add fresh water back to the mixing bucket a let the stuff on the bottom mix up again. I make about 5 gallons at a time and only drip about a quart at a time.