Coraline questions

I started my tank at the end of January and have only seen a little coraline growth. All my tank parameters are fine, all my corals are growing and doing great, but why so little coraline? I have all Tonga branch live rock. There has been a few new spots here and there but nothing major. My LFS told me that there are different species or breeds of coraline. They said coraline from the Fuji live rock is darker purple, and spreads or grows way faster than Tonga branch rock. Is this true, or are they telling me stories? Also I using the lighting from the Red Sea Max, which is either power compacts or t-5's or a mix (I'm not sure?). Are these lights bad for coraline growth?
Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I started my tank at the end of January and have only seen a little coraline growth. All my tank parameters are fine, all my corals are growing and doing great, but why so little coraline? I have all Tonga branch live rock. There has been a few new spots here and there but nothing major. My LFS told me that there are different species or breeds of coraline. They said coraline from the Fuji live rock is darker purple, and spreads or grows way faster than Tonga branch rock. Is this true, or are they telling me stories? Also I using the lighting from the Red Sea Max, which is either power compacts or t-5's or a mix (I'm not sure?). Are these lights bad for coraline growth?
Thanks

There are different coraline yes but it's not something you want to worry about. It will come and when it takes off you may regret "Wishing" for it!

If you have some now what I would do if I were you (and I DON'T do this anymore) is take a piece that has some and gently scrape a spot of it with something sharp. It will release the spores into your water column and spread them around. Just be careful in what you ask for because you may get it :)

Have a GREAT day and Happy Reefing :)

There are different coraline yes but it's not something you want to worry about. It will come and when it takes off you may regret "Wishing" for it!

If you have some now what I would do if I were you (and I DON'T do this anymore) is take a piece that has some and gently scrape a spot of it with something sharp. It will release the spores into your water column and spread them around. Just be careful in what you ask for because you may get it :)

Have a GREAT day and Happy Reefing :)

Does it have to be a large piece of coraline or will a small one do? Also how is it attached to the rock? Would something like a butter knife work? Thanks for the advice.

SJS

My tank has been up a little longer than yours and I am seeing a few spots here and there. Things take time in this hobby... Scraping other spots is the best way I have heard of to help it spread. DO NOT USE PURPLE UP - just my (strong) opinion! In a previous tank I used it and it caused huge diatom issues and mucked up my parameters. Just be patient!

santarem85

what i have done is take some tank water and bust a piece of rock off and put it in the blender for about 5 mins till its nice and pulverized. Tank circulation off- and pour in!

Frankie

RS STAFF
My tank has been up a little longer than yours and I am seeing a few spots here and there. Things take time in this hobby... Scraping other spots is the best way I have heard of to help it spread. DO NOT USE PURPLE UP - just my (strong) opinion! In a previous tank I used it and it caused huge diatom issues and mucked up my parameters. Just be patient!
Thank you SJS! Another wise teaching about Purple Up. ;)
Yeah, there filling your head with nonsense. Coraline color has nothing to do with where it cam from. It is all about the balance in your tank and the lighting. When you say your water parameters are good, Could you post what your testing for and what those readings are?