Temperature and coraline

I was at my LFS today and one of the more knowledgeable reef guys says he notices coraline grows much faster at 76 degrees than warmer temps of maybe 79 - 80 deg. Anyone experience this?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You may be onto something here. My coraline has taken OFF and I just added a new A/C unit to there that tank is. The temp now stays closer to 77 than 79. It could be a coincidence or maybe not....hmmmm more questions than answers :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thats right. The reason this happens is nuisance algae doesn't grow well in colder waters giving the coralline algae a chance to take over. I have noticed this in my own aquarium and why i keep my tank on the colder side.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I may go through and lower the average temps on ALL of my tanks!! Maybe shoot for more of the 77 range....

The main reason I brought this up is because if it's true, this may be a way to control it. Some people complain that it grows to fast, and others complain of little growth.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
water chemistry goes a LONG way for coraline growth as well.... some people don't test for the right things (calc etc) and think they have GREAT water chemistry...

djbacon

agree with al about water quality - regarding temp though - mine swiongs from 79-80 usually and rebetly with the heat as high as 82.

My coraline is out of control - I wish it would slow down, I cant keep up with the back wall anymore - tempted to let it take over.