The Bluespot Club

edoday

would a BS be ok in my 28g nano with 2" sandbed? I have a 32g sump attached so the total water volume is probably around 40 gallons. I'd love to have one of these beautiful fish.

Thanks,

Ed

sambrinar

would a BS be ok in my 28g nano with 2" sandbed? I have a 32g sump attached so the total water volume is probably around 40 gallons. I'd love to have one of these beautiful fish.

Thanks,

Ed

They really need about a 4" sand bed.. they dig DEEEEP, otherwise yes should be fine depending on what else is in the tank..

cstamper

Thanks,

Ed
My BSJ is happy in his 24 gallon Nano you should be fine.
You'll love this fish!

lcstorc

Just wanted to check in and send a Happy New Year wish from Sunshine and Moonshine.
Both are still doing great.

krak256

i noticed that my blue spot jawfish had some white patches of skin yesterday. i noticed a change in behavior because whenever i feed, he's usually the first one out looking for food.

right now, he is out of his burrow. i can see white patches of skin and he is breathing rapidly. he also has a small lesion and tail is pretty ragged.

Here is a pic:
bsj.jpg

what should i do?

i read lee's write up on formalin baths. since he has a small wound, i shouldn't do a formalin bath correct? what can save him then? is this brook or the dreaded white spot disease?

edit: i put him in a breeder net as the cleaner and other fish were pestering him. he seems worse. it seems as if he's swimming blind and his eyes aren't responsive

i also posted this under disease and treatment.

krak256

ugh... about 30mins after this photo was taken, my blue spot died...

does anyone know if he had brook or whether it was the blue spot disease? for a while before he got the white spots, he did have frayed fins. i thought nothing of it. sometimes he jumps at night, so i thought it might have been from him jumping into the screen top.

has anyone ever had a blue spot live for several years? i just want to know before i try one again... if i do. i just wonder if its a lost cause.

cstamper

I'm sorry to see your loss...it sucks.
I'm not sure about the disease processes with your fish, however I've had mine for a little over a year and he seems to be doing great. After the first few weeks in my tank he stopped jumping around and settled right into his home.
lcstorc, sambrinar, bluespotjawfish, and Basser1 should be able to help out more with your possible disease questions. Sorry once again-

Edison

I'd like to introduce Spot the new addition to our tank.

After waiting about 45 minutes at the lfs the new fish arrived and the owner handed me this little fellow.

He is enjoying his new home and has dug a small burrow towards the back of the tank. He eats like a pig and looks to be very healthy.

We have a neon Dottyback and when we first put the Jawfish in, the Dottyback flashed the new fish and was acting a bit aggressive. The Jawfish noted this and nipped at the Dottyback. Since then, the Dottyback has kept to himself and stays away from Spot's territory.

I fabricated a cover out of bridal veil and am about to head out and get some egg crate so I can make a combo cover out of egg crate and bridal veil.

Spot.jpg

Basser1

Welcome to the club! Spot has some "big fins" to fill. Spots' namesake, Spotty which was owned by Scott, was sort of a super-star on this board! Spotty was probably the most vibrant yellow BSJF I've seen! You can see a pic of Spotty on the main page.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how Spot is doing!

Edison

Thanks, Basser1. Spot stayed in the back for about 16 hours then began construction about 5" from the front of the tank.
The Dottyback was watching Spot move substrate and rubble around and moved in for a closer look. Spot reacted by spitting a mouthful of rubble at the Dottyback. The Dottyback reacted by picking up a piece of gravel and placing it in Spot's burrow.
They get along well now. As long as any other creature does not get within about 2" of Spot (or his burrow) there is peace in the tank.
The Hermit crabs and Emerald crab have learned not to stray too close. If they do, Spot will puff up his little cheeks and give them a warning nip.

Here's a picture of Spot guarding his new home. You can see Dottyback watching cautiously in the background.

spot1u.jpg

stew

Here are some bullet points about the Blue Spot Jawfish (aka, Blue Dot Jawfish, Blue Spotted Jawfish, Blue "Dot" Spot Jawfish, Blue Dotted Jawfish etc). These point were taken, in many cases quoted, directly from "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner. Anyone feel free to add to the list!

*They come from Mexico's Sea of Cortez.

*They grow to a length of 6 inches.

*They are mostly caught using "organic" methods. A poker is driven into
the sand next to their tunnel and leveraged at an angle to force the
occupant out, then the specimen is caught in a soft net.

*Rarely are chemical methods used, but when they are these lots tend to
die readily.

*They shouldn't be kept with: Groupers, Tilefish, large Wrasses, Jacks,
Snappers, Triggers or fast moving fishes (it scares them).

*They are carnivorous and will eat frozen foods. An occasional live morsel
is appreciated.

*They typically breed from Spring until Fall.

*Males become bright white in the front half of their bodies during
spawning.

*Females are quickly courted by males who sport blackish dots on their
heads during this time.

*Males orally incubate the eggs for about a week.

*The young are free swimming for about two weeks before they settle
down and dig their first little burrows

*In the aquarium they need a minimum of 3-4 inches of sand and small
pieces of rock rubble and shells to construct their burrow.

*The aquarium must be covered because they are jumpers!

*They will delight you with their dazzling display of color and amuse you
with their burrow building antics.

*They have a face that's adorable!

*Does this make you want to join the club?

stew

I found out the hard way that they are jumpers. I have a refugium which is fed by a overflow box. I bought a Blue spot and two days later I could not find him. Well, He jumped into my inside over flow box and swam into the out side over flow box and jumped out. I found him on the floor behind my tank. I made a cover for the inside over flow box and Bought another one. He is doing fine. Expensive lesson!

serval

I had a bluespot (which was by far my favorite fish) for 3 months. After that he moved twice and then closed his burrow with rubble and never again emerged. I can only imagine he was sick and that's how he dealt with it. I have some questions:

1. they are from Sea of Cortez, hardly tropical temperatures. Are they more disease prone in tanks that average (like mine) around 79-80 deg F?
2. I have 3 bottom dwelling gobies (shrimp gobies, 2 with shrimp) in my tank. Is adding a bluespot too many bottom dwellers for a 55 gal (dimensions 30"x22")?
3. Should I try again? Since I don't understand what happened to mine (he ate right up to the day before he covered the burrow and died), I feel hesitant to try again.
Thanks.

Hooked

I hope to be a member here soon. I've set up a AP24 and buried a PVC tunnel under the sand for a jawfish. My tank has cycled, but I wanted to wait a little while before adding a jawfish. I'll probably do that if I can find one in April.

maroon2

Well I became part of the club, but I think its only going to last me about 4-5 days. My jaw fish started getting the white patchy look on their skin and is acting weird. I'm taking him back to the lfs tomorrow.
Here's a pic before the travesty
DSC_0014-8.jpg

Basser1

Sorry for your loss. Hope you don't get discouraged and try another one. I'm on my second one, have had him since last August. These fish have the best personality!