Search results

1. Reef Wall

Green Hair Algae Removal

Ok, so I have a veritable forest of green hair algae growing in my DT. I have physically removed it multiple times only to have it grow back. I have had enough so I purchased the Phosban Reactor by Two Little Fishes. Has anyone had success with this product? My other question would be. Do I need...
  2. Reef Wall

Coralife Super Skimmer 65 No Bubbles ?

So I get home and my skimmer is producing no bubbles. I have had my skimmer set up for about 5 months working fine. Made no changes and now no bubbles. My first thought was to clean it. I did and it worked better, but not like originally did, for about 24 hours. Then, again no bubbles. Repeated...
  3. Reef Wall

Editing your Threads

I moved some photos around on Photobucket and now they do not show up on my tank build thread anymore. I was simply going to edit the thread with the new photo location but the edit button is no longer present on the posts. Is there any way to edit my old posts so I can update the photos?
  4. Reef Wall

My first SW Reef 40 Gal

Here is a link to my tank thread. I am trying to get it moved from "Saltwater beginners" to Reef Chronicles" Enjoy. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...nk-w-pics.html
  5. Reef Wall

Water Storage + Hot Garage?

I have been contemplating the idea of buying a RO/DI filter to make my own fresh and salt water. The only place I have to store my water containers is in my garage. I live in North Texas and the summers can get above 100 degrees for weeks on end. What, if any, effect will the heat have on my...
  6. Reef Wall

Purple Up?

Purple up is a supplement to increase Coraline algae growth. It does this by raising calcium levels. My question is, has any one tried to use this to keep calcium levels up, not just for Coraline algae? Will it work for all your coral?
  7. Reef Wall

Green Star Polyps Wont Grow?

Ok, so I have serched the posts and all I find are post about how,"Out of control," their GSP's are. "They won't stop growing." Well I have the opposite problem. They wont grow. They look good, and healthy. They just wont spread. I have a tree coral and a Duncan and some mushrooms that are doing...
  8. Reef Wall

Can a Metal Halide Double The Electric Bill?

:banghead: I switched from standard 24" 2-bulb T-8 lighting to a 175 w Metal Halide. My wife is about to part out the aquarium because our electric bill this month is double from what it was last year. Went from $110 to $220. I am trying my darnedest to try and come up with another reason...
  9. Reef Wall

Metal Halide Color

I just installed a 175W MH with a 14000K Mogul bulb. I am not very happy with the color the bulb is putting out. I was hoping for a more bluish color and this looks almost like a 10000k bulb. I don't remember the name brand. It might have been south Pacific Sunlight. I don't really want to go to...
  10. Reef Wall

What is this?

Does anyone know why my firefish's gills on one side is swollen and red?
  11. Reef Wall

Droopy Leather Coral

I have purchased my first soft coral. Well its really my second, I had a pulsing xenia on a piece of live rock that I bought. The one in question is a leather coral. I placed it in my tank yesterday. It has been droopy ever since. It had its nets out last night so I thought he might perk up...
  12. Reef Wall

White spots on back glass

There are white spots on the back glass of my reef tank. They are small but growing. The back glass of the tank is painted black and it looks like stars in the sky. Does anyone know what this could be?
  13. Reef Wall

Metal Halide bulbs

I have a metal halide fixture that is 175w. The guy at my LFS said I could use a 250W bulb in it because people are not really carrying 175W bulbs. Is this true? I thought you could only go lower on the bulb wattage?
  14. Reef Wall

HOB Overflows

I have an Eshopps HOB Overflow (300gph). I've had a few people say that they would be afraid of it overflowing the tank. If I put a check valve on my return that should prevent my sump from overflowing in the event of a power loss. How do I make shure the HOB overflow begins working again when...
  15. Reef Wall

New to Saltwater

Hello all... I have been wrestling with my new 39 gallon saltwater aquarium for about two months now. If you would like to follow my thread, get some answers or help answer my questions, please follow this link...
  16. Reef Wall

My first Saltwater Tank w/ Pics

It has been about one and a half months since I frst purchased my aquarium on craigslist. Without this forum I think I would have been lost. Following my next few post I will show my progress up to today. and pose a few questions as well. If you would like to comment or add any information about...
  17. Reef Wall

Lighting colors for Fluorecent bulbs

I was just wondering what the best combination for bulbs on a two bulb fluorescent fixture would be? I tried a 24" ZooMed 10,000k daylight and a 24" Coralife Actinic. The color of the tank was a bright pink and the fish colors did not stand out. Would the light output for coral growth be the...
  18. Reef Wall

Just lost my clown

I have just lost my clown to what I think is Ich. The only other fish in the tank is a firefish. It also has started to develop white spots. I plan on purchasing a small quarantine tank today with minimal filtation ( corner filter ) to treat my firefish. I have a few questions. What is in the...
  19. Reef Wall

Made a mistake!!!!

Help, One of my fish died this morning, my clownfish. I also have a firefish in the tank. he looks a little stressed too.... Tank has been up and running w/ healthy fish for two months. 40 gal 10 lbs live sand. activated carbon filter w/ biowheel/ eclipse hood. 1-24" T-8 actinic, 1-24" T-8...
  20. Reef Wall

Battle between T-5 HO and PC

I plan on upgrading. T-5 HO over PC? Wouldn't I get more Watts from PC. Plus PC is a little cheaper and takes up less room. What are the pros and cons of each? Could you recommend a certain set-up? My tank is a 40 gal 30" Length by 12" Width. I don't want to use MH because I can't...