Metal Halide bulbs

Reef Wall

I have a metal halide fixture that is 175w. The guy at my LFS said I could use a 250W bulb in it because people are not really carrying 175W bulbs. Is this true? I thought you could only go lower on the bulb wattage?

DaveK

You LFS store lied. Get a new LFS. (consider standard lecture about LFS often being clueless inserted here)

Metal halide bulbs and ballasts MUST be matched. In other words, you can NOT use a 250w bulb with a 175w ballast. You also can NOT use a 175w bulb with a 250w ballast.

While the mogul socket is the same, and the bulb will fit, if you change to a 250w bulb, you must also replace the ballast.

175w bulbs are easily available. Check online stores. You can even buy them at Home Depot, but they are 6500K bulks and not recommended for a reef system.

Reef Wall

You LFS store lied. Get a new LFS. (consider standard lecture about LFS often being clueless inserted here)

Thanks for the input. I will choose a different LFS. I did look online and found some 175w 14000k mogul bulbs for as little as 12$.

MH 175W 14K Metal Halide Aquarium Light Bulb, Pulse Type, Mogul Base

$11.50 new

Why is it so cheap? others are up to 95$.

Phoenix 175 Watt 14000K Mogul Base Metal Halide Bulb

$94.99 new

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I Can tell you this much... you may save some upfront but you'll quickly go back to the "other" bulbs. I was using some of those "eBay/Online" bulbs and after one round with them (roughly 6 months) I went back to the QUALITY bulbs. Not all bulbs are created equal and your tank will tell you so.

smoothie

The ebay plusrites are only good for about 3mo then start going south.
Get a good quality bulb. Some se can only be ran on electronic or pulse start ballats so find out what you have before buying

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
See if AquaMaxx makes bulbs that will fit your unit. The company was started by some people FROM the Phoenix Bulb Co. and so far I'm hearing VERY comparable results. I am running them in my MH (I'm only running it a couple of hours a day though) and so far (been 3+ months now and they look SWEET!

Hemlock

I just ordered 2 250w 14k DE from soslightbulbs.com for 49.95 I've heard good things about them so I will give them a try.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! Never heard of that site before. Hemlock keep us posted as those are very good prices. How is the S/H though?