Droopy Leather Coral

Reef Wall

I have purchased my first soft coral. Well its really my second, I had a pulsing xenia on a piece of live rock that I bought. The one in question is a leather coral. I placed it in my tank yesterday. It has been droopy ever since. It had its nets out last night so I thought he might perk up today after a little time in the tank. Its been 24 hours now and still droopy. What can I do? Is this normal? I don't want him to die because my yellow clown goby has already taken to him.

40 gal'
40Lb LR
2" LS
1 pulsing xenia
1 leather
1 fire fish
3 hermits
3 nasarius snails
1 large turbo
1 green chromis
1 50/50 T8
1 Actinic T8
maxijet 1200
Eclipse hood filter w carbon and bio wheel

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
+3

They pout often and usually for no apparent reason. After a "transplant" like this it's expected it will pout for a few days and slowly start to perk up.

Reef Wall

Is there anything I might need to know about placement in the tank and future care of the leather coral.

I have read that it puts off toxins that have to be eliminated. The thread said you can see it and to use a turkey baster to suck it out of the tank.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jess

+4
Leathers will pout regularly. Even when yours looks better, it WILL do the same thing again so don't freak out. I used to at first also. But now I know it's just doin' it's thang.

As far as placement goes, they like high light and good flow. I have mine at the tippy top of the tank and it's loving it. Pay no attention to my thread about the hole in mine! :scram:

Here's a pic from yesterday you can see the placement...(camera phone, bad pic)

0916091555.jpg