My first Saltwater Tank w/ Pics

Reef Wall

It has been about one and a half months since I frst purchased my aquarium on craigslist. Without this forum I think I would have been lost. Following my next few post I will show my progress up to today. and pose a few questions as well.
If you would like to comment or add any information about what I have done right, and what I might have done not so right, please do. Any information that could help me or any other beginners would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the pics.

There first three were taken about a month in after adding 1lb. of live rock and a true perc.
( don't piece together your live rock collection. Save up and add it all at once. Adding rock later can cause spikes in your amonia, nitrie and nitrate, and could cost you your livestock.)

Reef Wall

1.jpg

Reef Wall

These next few pictures are after I added another 14 lbs. of live rock. Again, this tank will need 50lbs. of live rock total. I should have bought it all at once. The LFS sells live rock for anywhere from $5.99 to $12.99 per Lb. If you look on Craig's list or other similar postings you can find it fully cured at $3.00 to $3.50 per lb. from private sellers.

( DO NOT PUT ANY LIVING THING DIRECTLY INTO YOUR DISPLAY TANK )

Parameter spikes killed my clown. :cry1:

6.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

Reef Wall

Next I needed a stand with a cabinet door to cover the sump/fuge/protein skimmer I plan to add. I researched and shopped the local LFS. I found a lot of plan to DIY on Welcome to About.com. I build the following stand in one day. Took about two to dry.

( Make sure you measure the equipment that will be below your tank before you buy, or build your stand. )

9.jpg

10.jpg

Reef Wall

Next are a few pictures of the additional equipment I made and purchased to add a sump.

I purchased a Coralife protien skimmer
Eshopps overflow 300 gph
550 gph return pump
I built the sump out of a 10 gal. aquarium and some help from You Tube.

( After reading another post I am trying to come up with a way to incorporate an algae scrubber filter above the sump. )

Here is my first question on this thread....

I will have to make a new hood in order to accommodate the overflow. This means I will have to remove my current in hood filter and bio wheel.

What do I need to make sure of before I loose my current filter set up and go with only live rock and a protein skimmer. (besides enough live rock)

Can I do this now without 50 lbs. of live rock and just complete bi-weekly water changes?

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Reef Wall

This is all I have so far. I will be building my hood this weekend and adding my overflow and hooking up my sump. Stay tuned for more.

And let me know what you think about the questions I posed on the last post.

Thanks, :hallo:

Adam Black

Keep your first reef tank simple. No algae scrubber. I'm not sure I would even have a sump. Maybe HOB skimmer/filter?

yungreefer2410

IMO your return pump probably won't be able to move that water back into that tank at a high flow rate. how big is this tank? i would do a sump. what kind of skimmer is that?

Reef Wall

IMO your return pump probably won't be able to move that water back into that tank at a high flow rate. how big is this tank? i would do a sump. what kind of skimmer is that?

The pump has a 550 gph flow rate and it is pumping 3 ft. vertical.

The skimmer is a Coralife rated for a 65gallon tank.

40 Gallon Tank

Reef Wall

Here is a picture of my quarantine tank. I made the sponge filter out of an air pump some pvc and a sponge from home depot.

14.jpg

Reef Wall

Ok, another question about my lighting.

I am purchasing a 175 W metal halide PFO Pendant. With a 14000k bulb will this be enough lighting to sustain a reef in a 39 Gal Tank? The tank is about 24" deep 30x12x24

Also, How does everyone feel about the 14000k bulb? Is there a better choice?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As far as MH goes I'm a 14k kind of guy. It's a fairly good compromise between color and growth. Lower-k bulbs (in general terms) produce slightyly more growth but also tend to look more "yellow". Higher K tend to look crisper and have a more blue look. It really boils down to what looks best to your eyes.

Yes you may get slightly more growth from a 10k bulb (depending on several OTHER factors) but most people find the higher K bulbs more pleasing to the eye.

That fixture will "illuminate" your tank well. You may have some "less bright" areas out on the ends so keep that in mind. I don't think it will be a problem at all. Generally speaking you want 1x MH bulb for every 24" of tank. I think you'll be fine just don't try to keep anything "EXOTIC" on the ends of the tank.

Reef Wall

Should I incorporate my standard 2X24" T8 standard florescent bulbs? If so what bulbs should I use with the MH? Also, what is the best 14000k MH Bulb?