Battle between T-5 HO and PC

Reef Wall

I plan on upgrading.
T-5 HO over PC?
Wouldn't I get more Watts from PC. Plus PC is a little cheaper and takes up less room.
What are the pros and cons of each?
Could you recommend a certain set-up?
My tank is a 40 gal 30" Length by 12" Width. I don't want to use MH because I can't afford a chiller.
Plus I am having trouble finding anything 30" long. Everything I find is 24" or 36".
I am a DIYourselfer if there are any options that direction.

Thanks.

sneaks03

I would say T5 over PC, but I am not as experienced as some. Al will probably chip in with some good advice in a minute. I know PC will put off a good amount of heat as well, of course not as much as a MH.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Keep in mind that when dealing with the "Watts" you're dealing with the amount of energy USED (Input) over a period of time and not the amount of usable light produced (OUTPUT).

When comparing PC to T5 to MH you can't compare watt to watt.

• PC are the least intense of the three listed.
  • T5's are a LEAP above PC's and if you add Individual Reflectors for each bulb that # increases MUCH more
  • MH's are no doubt the brightest of this group.

Each bulb has it's own set of disadvantages and some of these are truly "personal preference" (ie shimmer effect).

Just like most every other aspect of this wonderful hobby there really isn't any "RIGHT" way to do it. What works for one person may NOT work for another. Ask 10 people the same question and you'll get 12 different answers. All I can do is tell you what works for me and how I would do it if I were in your shoes today.

Happy Reefing :)