Your Favorite Newbie "quotes"

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
This is not meant to be offensive to anyone just funny stuff you hear after you been around a while.

One of my favorites is "Reef Ready" I have asked people several times in my life if they have a reef ready tank and often they reply it has rock and corals in it so yeah, they don't realize the term refers to tank with an internal overflow and sump :D not that it matters it's just kinda funny :D

"I've done all my research" It really is impossible to learn everything just asking someone at a store or spending a few days on the internet. Knowledge is an ever expanding thing. xD

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
This is not meant to be offensive to anyone just funny stuff you hear after you been around a while.

One of my favorites is "Reef Ready" I have asked people several times in my life if they have a reef ready tank and often they reply it has rock and corals in it so yeah, they don't realize the term refers to tank with an internal overflow and sump :D not that it matters it's just kinda funny :D

Never heard that term, nor the definition. Always learning! :)

DaveK

I have to agree with "My Tanks Water Show Perfect Parameters" as the number one favorite quote.

My second most favorite has got to be "I don't have a quarantine tank, so I treated the tank with <product x> that my LFS recommended. They say it works and is reef safe."

Other favorites are -

"I just bought my first SW tank with <list of all FW equipment>."

"My LFS tested my water and said it was fine."

"My tank has been set up 3 weeks now, and I just got an anemone."

"The guy at my LFS said ... <incorrect information>"

There are plenty more.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Why are my new fish in my new tank dieing & what do you mean, have I "cycled" my tank?
086.gif

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Dave you brought up another favorite of mine :) "I don't have room for a QT tank" I find it hard to believe people don't have room for a 10 gallon unless the reside in cardboard box lol :D

nunlef

posting mostly so i can hear more

"... no, it's not new, it "finished" cycling 4 weeks ago..."

that was a direct quote from me, btw. I had NO idea i would continue to see such dramatic changes 8 months in.

and that first "cycle" was nothing compared to rounds 3 and 4 ;)

Newbie: "My tank just finished cycling two weeks ago."
Seasoned: "What are your parameters?"
Newbie: "Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0"
Seasoned: "How do you get your nitrates to undetectable levels?"

Johnly

You are so cool, you never were the nOOb..go on with yourselves.....you all rock! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnly

Newbie: "My tank just finished cycling two weeks ago."
Seasoned: "What are your parameters?"
Newbie: "Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0"
Seasoned: "How do you get your nitrates to undetectable levels?"

You sir, have the only good reply.....They all are reliving their nOOb dreams Mate!

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Johnly we have all been there that is why it's funny, at least till someone comes along and blows it off topic and tries to make it something it's not. This is not meant to pick on anyone if you take it personal that's just to bad. Personally I consider myself a noob and still have so much to learn but that is the reason this hobby is so interesting and addictive, we're not going to get board anytime soon.

The major difference between now and then is the internet all we have to do now is google, we used to have to buy books and go on what the lfs and other local hobbyists knew. Now the info is at the click of a mouse and all the basics to your questions are first page google more often than not and what's not there can be found here.

I am sorry if anyone takes this thread personal, that is not my intention it's just observations we and you will find humorous in time if you stay in the hobby, unfortunately a lot of people come and go after setting up and realizing a reef tank is just as much work as enjoyment and can be challenging and stressful at times.

cindyp

here's some I heard recently
"there's no such thing as live rock it's all man made of concrete then they throw it in the ocean till it has stuff growing on it"
"my leather is growing like crazy. I put it in my tank an hour ago and it doubled in size"
"my nitrites are too high? why? I'm using two canister filters"
"i do have RI/DO but no time to use it.. :tongue: actual quote :nopity:
DOH!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Johnly,

You are right in that we were all newbies at one time - I just see this this thread as good fun, not a put down to anyone new & learning.

I do remember either asking or having all these questions & learning from reading post - the really nice thing was the members of RS helped me learn - when I did ask these question and without flaming me, it's why RS is so special - unlike some other reef forums.
050.gif

Cheers :clink:

cindyp

I love this thread!!!
it's all in good fun and brings back some pretty funny memories.
I remember taking pictures of everything that appeared in my tank
and posting pic's and driving Lynn and Big Al crazy with my whats this thing
questions. when I got diatomes I worried myself sick and then came the cyno
I couldn't help but think I did something wrong to cause all this but I was always reassured that its just part of the process.
it's just a rite of passage besides anyone crazy enough to be neck deep in this hobby has got to have a sence of humor.;)

JulesVane

No offense to "newbies" at all! At least they're smart enough to seek help & advice from a great forum like RS. I'm still a newbie, constantly learning, that's why I'm still here...