Yo!

malcnunn

Hi ... I'm Malc , 42 and from the UK . Started my first marine reef tank 3 weeks ago and the "bug" has me . I mean i've dabbled with all kinds of tropical tanks throughout the years and before starting this project thought "how difficult can it be " :)
well... its awesome!! i cant get enough of it and i never knew how interesting all this shizzle is ! i'm having trouble sleeping thinking about all the stuff to do , what goes with what etc etc etc .
I'm an engineer by trade and love the ocean and i wanted to do it as natural as possible and so I decided to go NSW rather than RO+salt . I know most people wouldn't probably go down this route through the risks involved in loosing livestock etc and especially where I live I suppose we dont have the best sea water in the world but since its a new setup Im willing to give it a go . I'll post a new thread later with how im doing if anyone is interested in the nsw route .
anyway just wanted to say hi and say im hooked !!!
laters !

jpsika08

Welcome Malc, :) lots of UK members here.

Hope you start your tank thread soon so we can all enjoy your tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome!

Re: NSW - It's how and where you obtain it that makes the difference. Keep in mind that anything that's discarded, spilled, dumped, poured whatever on land quickly and easily gets into the ocean. It usually doesn't go far OUT but spreads around along the shoreline. This just happens to be where we obtain our NSW usually. Remember this is a CLOSED LOOP environment and everything you put in to it will accumulate. It's just usually a lot easier, healthier and less risk to make you're own SW so that you KNOW what's going into the tank.

Also NSW can't be stored like synthetic can. You'll have to deal with Living Organisms so transport and storage are now "Time Sensitive".

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Cheers !

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome!

I've always liked the idea of NSW but as Big Al said, it comes with it's risks. I would love to get 5 gallons of it here and there from a good source and put it into my tank......the biodiversity "has" to be beneficial!

Start a Tank Thread!