Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
@Biggles it certainly was :) And the little troopers and looking stunning :) Definitely happy and settled though. I can't wait to get them all mounted throughout the tank though!

Thanks for the compliments and take over guys! :D If people are learning things or getting some groovy information :p Then I don't mind how hijacked my thread gets!! lol

@Snelly40 good to hear we're getting another zeo member on the forums :) It's good to have a small group of zeo users to compare notes with as you go along!
As for carbon in the tank, as Frankie said, no you don't have to use the zeo carbon. I do and I like using it but Rox and Seachem Matrix are the two I know of that go well with zeo (haven't heard of lignite carbon).
Once again I'll second @Frankie sentiment about carbon reactors. They're good but much higher chance of channelling. I think running passively in the sump in a filter sock or media bag where you can shake it or massage it around frequently is best as you'll get the full use of your carbon :)
Auto-dosers are nice but totally unnecessary. I dose everything by hand and have never had any issues with doing it that way :) I prefer it as it gets me in front of the tank for a maintenance at least twice a day so I've always got an eye on things aside from the usual admiration lol

I want to note a couple of things for you Snelly in terms of zeo products :)
- Firstly, don't buy ZEOfood7, get Sponge Power instead. Food7 is a direct nutrient and amino additive and until you are at true ULN then it just causes problems so don't worry about it to start with. Sponge Power is awesome too, it really is one of my favourites.
- If you're looking for a decent reactor that's cheap and well made check out the ones made by Fish-Street, I'm using the Z100 but it doesn't quite fit a litre of stones so if you need that much get the larger one (Z150).
- Bak and sponge power should be refrigerated. Start doesn't need to be as it's your carbon source.
- KZ recently release stones for automatic reactors, buy those if you can. They are just the same stones but without the tiny ones that can clogged your reactor if not placed in a small media bag in the reactor :) It just helps a touch :)

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the thread though :D

Snelly40

wow @Wrangy thanks for the tips!!! I am planning on grabbing my reactor later this month and the basics to get started. i am excited to see how it progresses my tank! you and @Frankie have been so helpful and i appreciate it. I'm not used to this unknowing side of reefing so tackling something new feels like starting over haha... thanks guys... i'll keep u updated on when i can grab it, probably with my mid month paycheck!!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
wow @Wrangy thanks for the tips!!! I am planning on grabbing my reactor later this month and the basics to get started. i am excited to see how it progresses my tank! you and @Frankie have been so helpful and i appreciate it. I'm not used to this unknowing side of reefing so tackling something new feels like starting over haha... thanks guys... i'll keep u updated on when i can grab it, probably with my mid month paycheck!!!
No worries at all :)
Zeo is lots of fun a very rewarding so you'll have a blast and there's lots of knowledge that comes with it so you get to learn plenty of things as well :) If you have any questions don't be shy to ask them at all!
Another thing to note are the parameters of your tank:
Alk has to be less than 8.5dKH or you'll have issues with acro's burning.
Ca and Mg levels are as normal.
K+ (potassium) needs to be around 400ppm or you're colours won't look nearly as good :)
Salinity should be about the 35ppt mark too.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Excellent advice Wrangy!
Zeo food is good for those who start a new system on zeovit. For an established aquarium it is not needed.

Snelly40

Hey buddy... Looking at the fish street reactors, price is great... but I have a credit to brs and probably gonna grab the vertex one, I've heard great things... I appreciate the tip of sponge power and I'll grab that...

"ZEOstart is one big four (ZEOvit, ZEObak,ZEOfood, ZEOstart) required for the standard ZEOvit ultra low nutrient system."

So I should avoid the zeo food and replace with sponge power?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hey buddy... Looking at the fish street reactors, price is great... but I have a credit to brs and probably gonna grab the vertex one, I've heard great things... I appreciate the tip of sponge power and I'll grab that...

"ZEOstart is one big four (ZEOvit, ZEObak,ZEOfood, ZEOstart) required for the standard ZEOvit ultra low nutrient system."

So I should avoid the zeo food and replace with sponge power?
Definitely get the vertex! :) top notch reactor.

Yep that's correct avoid food and get sponge power :) so you'll need to get start, bak, sponge power and the stones and your carbon of course and remove any other elements from the tank :) they also recommend skimming a little wetter to begin with :)

Snelly40

Ok I'll do it... Most places recommend starting with that zeofood and I believe you , I am just curious as to the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Haha thanks, I'm just doing my part to help out.

Food7 is a direct nutrient and amino acid additive so if your nutrients aren't super ULN then you'll get algae and diatom blooms due to the fact that it's pretty much just pure nutrients :) Leave food for now, I know people that don't even use it after years of zeo.

Sponge power is amazing as it really helps with sponge growth (they go nuts!!) and clams love it, it also really helps with nutrient lowering due to the sponge growth! (I must admit I over dose it a touch)

Snelly40

Ahhhhhhhh I did it!!!

Vertex RX-Z 1.5 ZEOlite Reactor

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Media 1000 mL

10 mL Korallen-Zucht ZEObak Microorganism Solution

250mL ZEOstart 3

1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Large Particle Lignite Carbon

50 mL - Korallen-Zucht Sponge Power Concentrate

Blndbunny

I love Spongepower! Actually all my bivalves and jewel clam love it, they open up really big after I dose. My encrusting sponges are all doing great and my large seasquirts are thriving :) I. Sure it's because of the Spongepower

I also just switched to a vertex reactor and I love it, the initial opening of the canister was a major PITA, I needed my husbands help :-( but now it's working like a dream, and super easy to shake the rocks

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ahhhhhhhh I did it!!!

Vertex RX-Z 1.5 ZEOlite Reactor

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Media 1000 mL

10 mL Korallen-Zucht ZEObak Microorganism Solution

250mL ZEOstart 3

1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Large Particle Lignite Carbon

50 mL - Korallen-Zucht Sponge Power Concentrate

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Hopefully you get as much enjoyment out of it as we all do as well :) I'm always around along with anyone else to answer questions so feel free to tag anyone or ask any questions here or in your thread :)

Snelly40

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Hopefully you get as much enjoyment out of it as we all do as well :) I'm always around along with anyone else to answer questions so feel free to tag anyone or ask any questions here or in your thread :)

Thanks again for the help and I'll definitely be posting pics and progress!!!

Snelly40

What's the best way to learn what zeovit even is for us noobs?

Good question... I read a lot... Love this link..

https://www.korallen-zucht.de/cms/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

In essence it's an Ultra Low Nurient System, the zeolites house/attract tons of the natural bacteria in the system and your tank truly will have unmeasurable ammonia thus preventing trites and nitrates, we do have to dose other materials now to keep this stable but these bacteria will actually feed the corals... Much more akin to natural seawater hence why corals and colors do s good.... You should do it pat, def cheaper than the 90 upgrade you mentioned but will allow you tons of options...

@Wrangy please correct me if I stated something wrong haha I'm still learning, been reading a ton tho.... Oh, do you always use Zeostart, or just at the start??? EDIT: I found the answer haha, just dial back on it but always use it :)

Last edited: