Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks good @Snelly40
There is a bit more going on most zeovit users are not aware of. The stones selected are selected not only for the porosity and ability to house bacteria but also for there ability to cause ion exchange. So, take the ion ca++, (calcium) it can absorb this ion and exchange it for say k+, (potassium).
The stones actually effect the waters chemistry helping to remove nutrients along with weeding out any unwanted abundances of ions.
It's a bit more complicated than that, but I think my post makes sense enough.

Pat24601

Good question... I read a lot... Love this link..

https://www.korallen-zucht.de/cms/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

In essence it's an Ultra Low Nurient System, the zeolites house/attract tons of the natural bacteria in the system and your tank truly will have unmeasurable ammonia thus preventing trites and nitrates, we do have to dose other materials now to keep this stable but these bacteria will actually feed the corals... Much more akin to natural seawater hence why corals and colors do s good.... You should do it pat, def cheaper than the 90 upgrade you mentioned but will allow you tons of options...

@Wrangy please correct me if I stated something wrong haha I'm still learning, been reading a ton tho.... Oh, do you always use Zeostart, or just at the start??? EDIT: I found the answer haha, just dial back on it but always use it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to research, but I seriously might. It sounds pretty cool.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's a pretty cool system, especially once you start to dive into the chemistry and reasoning behind it :) Personally I enjoy the large amount of control and tinkering that the system allows you.

As Frankie summed nicely there's a few more elements to it that go on than the basic bacteria cultures it creates.

Today is a fish adding and coral gluing day for me! Hopefully I can catch the others in the tub to add to the tank and I might even get a chance to finally get my clam across :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Some new shots as demanded by my reefing overlord Acroman (@Biggles ) :laughroll:

The frags have all settled into the tank really well, which is awesome because I didn't want them to lose their amazing colours!! So here's some shots of them, they're still on the sandbed as I haven't had a chance to mount everything yet:

My little zoa garden

Front tank shot:

Side tank shot, I'm really loving the way it looks!!:

Biggles

Really pleased to hear those frags like your water Dom, looks like you have a lot of acros to glue down mate, maybe i should send Kevin around to help lol..
Think of the color contrasts not only now but in time, how different acros will grow and subsequently interact with each other in regards to color. I have at least 15 more acro frags here for you whenever you want to come over :)

This is what your milli looks like in high light btw.

g_zpsdtnyb1n0.jpg~original

anarchy

Really pleased to hear those frags like your water Dom, looks like you have a lot of acros to glue down mate, maybe i should send Kevin around to help lol..
Think of the color contrasts not only now but in time, how different acros will grow and subsequently interact with each other in regards to color. I have at least 15 more acro frags here for you whenever you want to come over :)

This is what your milli looks like in high light btw.

g_zpsdtnyb1n0.jpg~original
Those colors are amazing

ANARCHY

Biggles

It's a very pretty acro, it actually has green radial corallite lips that are more obvious in medium light. You can see hints of them if you look closely lol.
Dom and i have formed an SPS crime fighting duo and will be rescuing many pretty acros from the hands of evil LFS owners......... my pet koala Kevin will be joining us when he's not off his face after getting into the kalk container yet again.

k_zpsc4tzjqeo.jpg~original

anarchy

It's a very pretty acro, it actually has green radial corallite lips that are more obvious in medium light. You can see hints of them if you look closely lol.
Dom and i have formed an SPS crime fighting duo and will be rescuing many pretty acros from the hands of evil LFS owners......... my pet koala Kevin will be joining us when he's not off his face after getting into the kalk container yet again.

k_zpsc4tzjqeo.jpg~original

I'm apart of the U.S. branch of your crime fighting squad
Also tried tagging you in my build to get your opinion on a few things

ANARCHY

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've been doing a lot of planning and studying of the colours to really make sure that I get a good mix and plenty of contrast going throughout the tank! Not just chucking them anywhere this time around lol
I'm looking forward to giving them all a little more light though! Especially some sexy new t5 lights soon :D
I can't wait to get the other frags either, nor for that milli to colour up! Have you got it in high flow or less?

Yes Acroman and Stylo Boy :p you're doing more rescuing than I though, I'm just taking the easy route and stealing your already wonderfully coloured and hardy acro's haha I may need Kevin aka Kaos Koala to help with the gluing though lol need to be really creative!

Biggles has probably the best colours in Aus! So I'm one of the lucky few able to get some of his incredible frags :D and have an amazing reefer friend as someone who can help me out!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I agree Captain Anarcho is definitely the way to go :p love it!
Thanks for the heads up Frankie :) I'll definitely need a purple/coral + type bulb!

So as you guys and gals may know I adore my flame hawkfish and as I now have the ability to be able to add some more fish to the tank, I've decided to try and pair up flame hawks :) I got a cute little female this morning so the next week and then few months will be interesting!

I've created a new thread about the journey so check it out and let me know what you think :)
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-flame-hawkfish-mating-journal.94222/