Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Introduction:
As many of you know I've been running my little cube for just shy of 2 years now and it's been one heck of an awesome ride. Plenty of up's and down's but more than enjoyable in the end. Due to some continually niggling problems that the tank had been having, I decided that a restart was the only way to move forward and given that the tank has now been restarted I think it was best that I restarted my journal as this is my new beginning. Using everything that I've learnt and the mistakes I made when I first set the tank up I've now tried to improve on it all and hopefully have things work a lot better and smoother!
Here's the link to my old Journal:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/85186-wrangys-50-gallon-reef-cube.html

System Objectives:
I have always loved Acropora sp. and the various other corals that make up the "SPS" grouping and so because of this, once again, I'll be aiming my tank completely towards running an sps dominated system. My aim is to keep them as happy and healthy as possible, with some wicked colours :D I'll also have my collection of ric's and zoa's coming across with me and my dearly beloved T. maxima clam!! (Who will be getting prime position in the tank!)

System Type:
SPS dominated with a few other colourful corals and some pretty fish!

Display System:
Strike up Date:
20th of January, 2015

Display Tank:
600x600x550mm & 200L
(24x24x24" & 50 gallons)

Display Lighting:
At the moment I'm running a 60cm Illumagic Blaze unit that is a 100w LED system, I love it and it's given me some great results but as I'm starting again, I'll be changing the lighting up a bit so stay tuned!

Stand:
Stand is an aluminium frame with perspex plates. Stands 800mm tall.

Hood:
Rimless baby!

Sump:
Sump is the stock 3-chamber sump that comes with my tank and holds enough to make things work!

Refugium:
No refugium will be run on this system.

Support systems:
System Water:
Red Sea Salt (Blue bucket)

Display Water circulation:
2x Jebao RW-4 powerheads
1x Tunze 6045

Return Pump:
Jebao DC3000

Skimmer:
RLSS R6-i, internal skimmer

Evaporation Top Up:
ATO run by the Tunze Osmolator

Other Support Systems:
Due to the success and positive influence that ZEOvit had on my tank I'll be running it from the get-go this time around to enjoy some more of those lovely ZEOvit benefits! I've started the 14 Day Cycle and I'm currently only on Day 2 but it is working it's magic as my fresh live rock and the tank has no smell whatsoever so the system has kicked in. For the moment and until the tank has matured and settled down a bit I'll only be running the basic 4 elements plus Sponge Power.
This is what my dosing schedule for the tank looks like:
ZEOlite Stones: 500ml shaken twice a day
Carbon: 200ml, replaced monthly
ZEObak: 2 drops 3 times a week
ZEOstart: 0.2ml dosed twice a day
Sponge Power: 2 drops every other day

Chemical Support:

Chemical Maintenance:
Brightwell Ca, Alk and Mg. All dosed via my Kamoer 3-channel dosing unit

Current Water Chemistry:
Not applicable as the tank has just started cycling!

I suppose I can put up some terrible photo's so it's not too boring haha
Here's where I'm at right now:

And here's where everyone is living semi-happily for the next few weeks :)

Hopefully everyone enjoys the ride with me as I'm looking forward to taking this journey again with a little more knowledge behind me!
And if you have any questions let me know, I'm only too happy to help out and answer what I can!

anarchy

I've always been a fan of the natural reefing method of just doing WC and dosing what depletes but these other methods such as ZEO have showed great results

ANARCHY

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've always been a fan of the natural reefing method of just doing WC and dosing what depletes but these other methods such as ZEO have showed great results

ANARCHY

I'm a huge believer in the natural method, especially for those new to the hobby :) however I love control and tinkering to near perfection haha so that's why I've chosen the zeo method :) especially given the colours and growth that are able to be obtained by it :) something extra for me to play with haha

DaveK

I was wondering what problems you were having with the old system that made you start over?
Also, what are you going to do different to prevent them the second time around?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Very nice! I'm interested to see some purdy sps corals :)
I'm only going to be getting the purdiest of the purdy this time around :) So hopefully I'll have a rather nice collection going soon! I've definitely got a few nice ones to bring across :)

I was wondering what problems you were having with the old system that made you start over?
Also, what are you going to do different to prevent them the second time around?
Main problems were bryopsis and bubble algae, secondary was the live rock has been leaching all sorts for a while now.
To prevent any of this happening again, everything that's going back into the tank is going to be dipped and cleaned and inspected thoroughly. None of the old rock is going in the tank and any plugs or bits that frags are attached to will be redone on new footings to really stop it making it into this system :)
If you can think of any other suggestions that would help, let me know!

Frankie

RS STAFF
If you're trying to purge the rock of excess phosphates, you might want to look into using the zeozim. It works wonderfully in bringing the nutrients to the skimmer

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you're trying to purge the rock of excess phosphates, you might want to look into using the zeozim. It works wonderfully in bringing the nutrients to the skimmer
I'll have a look into it but because the tank is all new with new rocks hopefully I won't be needing it :) Everyone is happy in the tub too so I can't complain. A few acro's have RTN'd but not my favourites so touch wood they don't :) I'm going to do some tests today to see where it's all at so I'll know soon lol

I'll be watching and learning from your exciting re-build !
Thanks :) Hopefully you can learn a thing or two through my re-build :) Ask away if you have any questions at all!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well on another note, yesterday was a bit of a get together and LFS crawl with a few other reefer's here in my state so that was a bit of fun :yup: I promised myself I wasn't going to buy anything and I made it to the second last store! I was so close!! Then the greatest thing happened :D
I found something I've been looking for for quite some time now, a drop-dead gorgeous T. crocea and boy did I find one!! This beauty is about 3-4" in length with about 6 different colours on it! I saw it in one of the tanks, half hidden by eggcrate and I fell in love, I didn't really need to be going a spending the kind of cash I did lol but this is one of the best and only T. crocea I've ever seen like this in Australia so it wasn't really a decision of should I but more what can I go without till I'm paid next :p haha Anyway enough talking, here she is in all of her glory!

I am absolutely overjoyed at having found such an amazing specimen :D These photo's don't even show the half of it! I'll take some better shots tomorrow when she's open a little more :) The mantle edge is green and her inner mantle is as blue as my wonderful t. maxima!

Aside from that I'm getting closer to being happy with my scape :) This is what I've come up with so far! The rock on the bottom running to the front of the tank isn't in final position and needs to be cut in half to make it shorter as it's going to be my ric and zoa home :)

From the side:

Let me know what you all think :)

Blndbunny

Such a pretty new clam! I can't wait to get a pretty one for my system

Are you planning on going bare bottoms with this build?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Such a pretty new clam! I can't wait to get a pretty one for my system

Are you planning on going bare bottoms with this build?

I was so excited when I found it, I nearly wet myself! :laughroll

Nope, just not adding the sand till I'm happy with the scape then I'll add it in. Mainly so I can siphon all the gunk out of the bottom that's come off the live rock and also so I don't have to worry about disturbing it while I move things around :)