Would You Give Away Cheato?

Rcpilot

Has been struck by the ban stick
I started out with a chunk of cheato about the size of your fist. I paid about $5 for it.

Fast forward 5 months:

I've got so much in my refugium that I need to start trimming it out.

So, I posted an add on the local club site. I wanted to get $10 per quart bag. One of the guys called me up and gave me some line about being a newbie and he wants me to give it to him.

I don't mind helping people out, but I'm quite opposed to 100% charity. It's not that the $10 is a big deal, it's just--the cheato is worth at least that much, if not more. I thought $10 was a good deal. I've seen it advertised for $15--$20 per bag.

Should I just call it good karma and give it to him?
Or stick to my guns--this isn't a cheap hobby and $10/bag is a good deal?

Your opinion please.

kathywithbirds

Nah, stick to your guns. You grew it. If the baggies are double the quantity of what you paid $5 for, yeah, what the heck, sell it. If you want to be nice, maybe offer $5 for it to a chosen few or something. Or trade for something like a couple zoo polyps.

This coming from the person giving away coral. But I got it for free, and I just couldn't see selling something that someone else wnated to find a good home for. And I know RS people will give it a good home.

Just my 2cents.

Melanie

It's a little rude to call someone and guilt them into giving you something for free. I say stick to your guns with this guy. I'd give it to my friends or people I know or want to help.

Gina

RS STAFF
Keep in mind, this is just what I would do If I had too much and had to thin out.
I would offer it to whomever you wished and only charge for the shipping cost.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
This is an expensive hobby and asking $$ for frags or macro algae is very acceptable and expected.

Rcpilot

I advertised it to local reefers in our club forum. No shipping involved. I'd have to drive and meet them someplace--I don't bring strangers into my home--not even reefers.:smirk:

Another nice thing about this cheato from my refugium--it's going to be loaded with pods. Lots of bang for the buck at $10 per quart bag.

Thanks for your response.

Rcpilot

It's a little rude to call someone and guilt them into giving you something for free. I say stick to your guns with this guy. I'd give it to my friends or people I know or want to help.

I kinda thought it was rude too. I mean, who can't afford $10? Thats the cheapest $10 you'll ever spend in this hobby and the benefits you get from the cheato far outweigh that small cost.

I'd give it away to friends, or even if it was a teenage kid who was a newbie. I got no problem with that. But this guy apparently already has a 20g tank and now he's setting up a 180g with a refugium. Thats a bigger tank tham mine!! He can kick in $10 for it.

prow

i give mine away to anyone that would come by and pick it up. but if i was selling some and someone called about being new and wanted it free, i might have to double the price and reduce the size of the bag:).

fishnu

Please, sir, more?

twist_more-copping.jpg

:guns: :tears:

cracker

i give mine away to anyone that would come by and pick it up. but if i was selling some and someone called about being new and wanted it free, i might have to double the price and reduce the size of the bag:).
Agreed! I always thought if the price is to high you shop elsewhere. Nothing wrong with haggling over price but insulting the seller isn't a good way to go about it. I give mine to my LFS. The guy will knock off a buck or two on my purchases.

KodiakBear

I just throw mine in the trash. Everyone I know locally (both of them) has been in the hobby longer than I, and has cheato coming out their... um... let's say "ears."

Cassette87

I agree... that's rude to guilt someone into it. They guy is just like anyone else and looking for a bargain. Stick to your guns!

caitrina

Hey, I had my tank up for over a year now, can I get some for free? :lol: awww, c'mon man, help a poor girl out, can you include shipping costs with that too, since I am so far away? Couldn't resist...I agree with everyone else...you aren't wrong in not giving it to the guy, that was rather rude on his part/

Cougra

I tend to agree with people who think it was rude of him to ask for it free. I would stick to your guns and try to get something for it. It's well worth the price just for the time taken to go out of your way to deliver it somewhere.

Frankie

RS STAFF
After reading what the guy is up to I thought, sounds funny him wanting it for free considering the money he's willing to shell out to start up a 180.
Stick to your guns and charge the $10.
If a newbie in my area was trying to set up a tank and hurting for money i would still charge them. If things are so bad you can't afford chaeto maybe you shouldn't be setting up a tank then. I see poor people here in the south living in these trailer shamble homes with cars that have $500 a pop rims on them. I wouldn't buy them gas now would i? LOL!
Please don't read what i said and judge me. I do a lot of charity work for those who need it.

Rcpilot

I was thinking the same thing about the 180g tank. If ya got the cash to buy that tank--then you can afford $10 for a bag of cheato.