Woodstock's 90 gallon

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I purchased a sea swirl!!! :whstlr: I've been wanting one for a while... I'm waiting to plumb it until I my new return pump is delivered. I ordered one just a tad strong than my current pump.

A new pic.. Beauty and The Beast :D
Beauty_and_The_Beast.JPG

Frankie

RS STAFF
cool Doni now i'll have someone to test it out. I was wondering how good they were.
awesome picture as alway:)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks everyone! :)

cheeks69 said:
Great pic Doni ! Doni are you still running the 15k's ?
BTW love the look of the substrate:)

Nope. My XM 15k's are stored in my 'reef box' in the garage :D Dec 4th I switched to Sun Aquatics 10k bulbs. One Sun Aquatic bulb stopped working (less than 2 mo old :eek: ), so now I have one Sun Aquatic 10k and one spare Hamilton 10k I had.... LOL~ Time to order new bulbs......... XM 10k's or Iwaski 65k's? Ohhhh lordy... here I go again..... :rolleyes:

Mad Mike

Woodstock said:
At first I had a little cyno on the sand but I added a new poly filter, exported as much of the algae as I could, and added a bag of phosban to my make up water container (just to be sure).... and it's all gone :) Ohhhh... I also got a new sump light to help my chaeto in the fuge grow faster.

Yeah, I like sand :) but more importantly, my xenia is finally staying alive and growing!! I love my xenia~

Beautiful tank!! Good call on the sand =)

I just put the sand back in my tank, after having it out for over a year and having nothing but problems without it. I'm convinced it's not as bad as people make it out to be. What I'm sure of is I made a lot of mistakes early on and polluted the bed, but with a tank like yours ( all the softies ) and a good skimmer most ( if not all ) of the nutrients should be consumed. The xenia will take most of it. I'm sure the sandbed needs to be maintained and thats gonna take a learning curve but I don't think they are the sorce of evil most folks ( myself included ) thought they were. Yes a sandbed can be a sink but like any other sink it depends on how you treat it and what you put in it.

I have to tell ya with just a live rock filtration I have had nothing but nitrate problems. Yeah I finally figured out what was up with my tank and why. It's still not ready for tenants but at least I finally figured it out. With the ammount of oxygen in my tank and no sand I really dont think there is enough anaerobic area for the proper dinitrafication. I'm not buying into the "they live in the nooks annd crannies of the rock". I have 300 lbs of LR and a monster skimmer. I pretty much did all I could do to try and make the Berlin system work. I know I'm gonna take a lot of heat for that statement but after watching for over a year I'm convinced of it.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ohhhh nooooo!!!!

Guess what I just found in my tank......... :waa:

Flatworms!!! (Acoel Planaria)
Flatworm_-_Acoel_Planaria.JPG

KimPossible

Just another notch in your belt :D
You'll get um' taken care of then....you'll be helping other folks!
Good luck Doni :)
My lfs is using Flatworm Exit on their recent outbreak.
How'd they get introduced?

Tarasco

It took several months for me to get rid of my flatworms. I tried a few different fish, shrimp, etc. Never went the chemical route. I noticed the population would ebb and flow, but had no idea why. Eventually after about 5 or 6 months, they just compeletely vanished.

ScottT1980

Same thing with my stituation, after about 9 months, they were virtually eliminated. I made sure to siphon as many as I could with water changes, and found that flatworm eXit never fully erradicated them. I also think my 6-line made sure to keep its belly full of them.

Good luck with it. If you are feeling extra froggy/bold, you can and I have done freswater rinses on incoming corals to rid them of flatworms. It seemed to be fairly effective, but you have to be pretty careful with what you are doing to not expose the coral to the FW for too long. You can also dip with flatworm exit for incoming coral. I also had success with that...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thank you both for chiming in! I actually received the Flatworm Exit a few days ago, but am having second thoughts about treating the tank. I will let you know what I decide to do.

Shells

Those are flatworms?? I've got those skinny, spegetti like hard 'worms' that
grow in a semi spirl on my glass and overflow bhd's. I thought those where
flatworms,

you can kinda see their shadow on this bhd (black)
Crisp Ice White appearance, full spectrum - the combination of different wavelengths produce different colors in the spectrum and appear to the naked eye as crisp ice white light. The most popular 10,000K metal halide bulb on the market for reef tanks and the most ice white in color.