Willie's plywood adventure

Willie McDaries

well howdy cat,been going good,got a couple new fishies :D

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

CBB is about 1.5" long and the clown is just over an inch long,both are very tiny compared to my other fish but they're both happy and seem very healthy

my PB tang picked at the CBB for a little while but that didn't seem to deter the CBB from picking from the rock,little guy has been eating nonstop since it's been in there

I had to turn off my MP60,the goofy little clown wouldn't stay away from it,I didn't want the little guy chopped up just yet,he was eating as soon as he swam out of the acclimation cup

I also added 12 peppermint shrimp and a bunch more astrea snails,I counted 15 aiptasia last night but there's 3 missing,I assume the peppermints found those :D

catran

Hey, I wish peppermints would work for me! Sorry I haven't been on much, I work like crazy prior to and a little after Christmas!
Good luck with the CB, he looks awesome!!

Willie McDaries

any you guys ever heard of these guys ?

they make some nice looking low cost LED fixtures,they don't have all the bells and whistles but look like they may be a good light for the cash strapped crowd...

what do you guys think ?

DM-132s - Reef Radiance

8774008.jpg
635855.png

8476621.jpg
8554969.jpg

DM-132e - Reef Radiance

5005775.jpg

then they have the "design your own" system based on the DM-132s frame coming soon

Design Your Own Light - Reef Radiance

I've been looking at DIY kits for months now and wanting to go LED to reduce my power consumption and heat,even with using the least expensive DIY components,these were a better deal for me plus they use the same Bridgelux LEDs that I was looking at in the DIY kits and I'm sure they look better than anything I could throw together LOL so I ordered 2 of the DM-132s,I'll post my opinions on them once I get 'em over my tank :D

I'm sure that later I'll probable want the cool automated dimming and all that but for now,I just want to reduce my monthly power bill LOL

Here is my 2 cents on LEDs.
The new generation of lights seems to go a long way in addressing color rendition in corals (if not growth) but most use lenses to focus light.
As a photographer I am keenly aware of light and what I have noticed is almost every tank that uses LEDs has an issue with light bounce from the sand. If you look you will see a ridiculous amount of contrast between the tops of corals and the bottoms. There should be far more ambience and bounce from your light and LEDs with lenses just don't do that.
The one exception I have seen is the Mitras which seems to create far more bounce and ambient lighting effects than other LED lights.
For me I am sticking with a t5 fixture and supplementing with 2 AI Sol/Vega upgrades (basically because I already had them).

brian_e

I feel your pain on the power bill I just got all my stuff hooked to my apex and found out when my heaters come on my tank pulls rite at 20 amps of power

Willie McDaries

LOL yep,the power consumption has got to be reduced on mine Brian or I'm gonna start removing coral and go back to fish only,I'm tired of spending so much on electricity

Ian,I ordered the lights with just white/blue LED,I plan to still use my T5s to hopefully fill in the missing spectrum and they should help a lot with the ambient lighting too,at least I hope they do :D

brian_e

I been getting great growth with just running my cool whites 60% witch is only about 450 ma
My royal blues run 100% at 750 ma and I bet my green slimmer grows close to 1/4 a week

Willie McDaries

I been getting great growth with just running my cool whites 60% witch is only about 450 ma
My royal blues run 100% at 750 ma and I bet my green slimmer grows close to 1/4 a week

yea but you have a kick butt DIY LED system :D did you use the Cree LEDs of Bridgelux ?

brian_e

I done 120 cree rb and 60 cree cool whites but I just done a 30 cube with rebels
Also if u where to order from rapid led the prices drop once u get more than 100

Basile

Hello Willie i don't know if you remember me, Basile the Rockwork Guru, they use to call me, among other things, i just said hello to BIG AL . I had trouble getting in because of my links in my singnature using unsused links it would seem. I Just came back. anyway if you remember if not go see my work in general era look for the sticky rockwork thats me. TTL Let me know how's the tank.

Willie McDaries

Hello Willie i don't know if you remember me, Basile the Rockwork Guru, they use to call me, among other things, i just said hello to BIG AL . I had trouble getting in because of my links in my singnature using unsused links it would seem. I Just came back. anyway if you remember if not go see my work in general era look for the sticky rockwork thats me. TTL Let me know how's the tank.

Basile,it's sure good to hear from you again,I've been wondering how you've been doing,looks like you're back in the reefing business...and of coarse I still remember you,I don't forget my friends,especially the one's who have helped me so much in this hobby,great to see you back sir

my tank is still doing great,it's been a while since I've updated my thread with pics though,gotta blow the dust of the camera and stap some more pics :D

Basile

I'm loosing my mind i forgot we spoke earlyer lol. those pills are really good. My project is on hold right now its a bit too complicated and i have to give specifics to the manufacturer or they wont accept the contract, so i have to study more about plumbing. bummer lol Just planted my tomatoes, but its going to be 5 oC in your case, 37 o F ya i know cold summer is hiding on us this year, we get the 20's during the day but at night, its winter dam it. I don't remember if i told you but my little Basile passed away, ya, got poisoned by an Ahole! Ya i got two new little critters with right now, lol 9 weeks old lol. Well thats it for me time to hit the sac. TTL.

Willie McDaries

well,I have good news and really bad news...good news.we purchased a new home and will be moving soon,bad news is,there's no where in the new home for my tank and looks like I may have to go tankless until I can build a room on for my tank,I am considering setting up a smaller tank and fragging all my coral and just start the big tank up with a clean sweep rebuild...I do have aiptasia and blue clove polyps I'd love to rid my tank of anyway plus I can plan a rebuild into a more energy efficient system next time around,I've already became replacing my halides with LEDs,and I got the LEDs from our newest sponsor here Reef Radiance,guys,check him out,Rick has some great deals going on right now for the next few days

Basile

well,I have good news and really bad news...good news.we purchased a new home and will be moving soon,bad news is,there's no where in the new home for my tank and looks like I may have to go tankless until I can build a room on for my tank,I am considering setting up a smaller tank and fragging all my coral and just start the big tank up with a clean sweep rebuild...I do have aiptasia and blue clove polyps I'd love to rid my tank of anyway plus I can plan a rebuild into a more energy efficient system next time around,I've already became replacing my halides with LEDs,and I got the LEDs from our newest sponsor here Reef Radiance,guys,check him out,Rick has some great deals going on right now for the next few days

Congrats on your new home as you can see i've been on a stake out for you LOL . God do they make a patch for tank withdrawll sydrome. I was a mess when i had to leave mine so you know i understand what your going through......you know that. Happy home going or comming, same city, state, street...

Willie McDaries

Congrats on your new home as you can see i've been on a stake out for you LOL . God do they make a patch for tank withdrawll sydrome. I was a mess when i had to leave mine so you know i understand what your going through......you know that. Happy home going or comming, same city, state, street...

thank you Basile,the house we bought is just 3 doors down from here..it's almost in rock throwing distance...we're gonna keep this house too and I will run my tank here unless I just can't afford to keep electricity in both houses...I wanna tear this house down...

sorry to hear about little Basile being killed,it's so sad to lose a pet especially when it is one that meant so much to you and I do remember what that cat did for you,but when it is because some ahole killed them,it's really bad...if you lived a little closer to me,I could stock you up on cats,they will likely not go with us to the new house but that is their choice if they wanna follow us,that fine,but they've just roamed loose here all their lives and we feed 'em when they show up here..I guess they are more community cats than our cats LOL

Basile

thank you Basile,the house we bought is just 3 doors down from here..it's almost in rock throwing distance...we're gonna keep this house too and I will run my tank here unless I just can't afford to keep electricity in both houses...I wanna tear this house down...

sorry to hear about little Basile being killed,it's so sad to lose a pet especially when it is one that meant so much to you and I do remember what that cat did for you,but when it is because some ahole killed them,it's really bad...if you lived a little closer to me,I could stock you up on cats,they will likely not go with us to the new house but that is their choice if they wanna follow us,that fine,but they've just roamed loose here all their lives and we feed 'em when they show up here..I guess they are more community cats than our cats LOL

Thanks, well knowing cats and i had them all my life they'll follow. one of ours didn't like are new house and was make the trip 5 miles back to are old house to be with his old neightbors Kiki ,Tamis, and Bungalos all cats of course. Are old neighbors use to call us saying he's sleeping on the pinic table again, after have been gone for a week. Took him a week to reach to make the trip 5 miles..... You three house down its a Garfield distance lol. Yes i miss Basile , i got two new ones Lulu and Thoedule the name of one of my uncle......long story , great story for another day. But i go time and again to call them Basile at time with a lump in my voice. That cat had been sent to me at the right time these are my choice, kina different. Will post them soon. Take care got to move on i'm meetting a guy for my tank TTL about it.

Willie McDaries

Congrats on the new home - look forward to your new build !

thanks Glenn,I'm looking forward to the rebuild but not the tear down,I'm pretty certain that I will loose something as it always seems to happen with a move,I just hope it's none of my fish...I think I'm gonna try to frag and save pieces of the coral I like most and hopefully rid my rock of some pests and just start over,but my mind could change...I've suffered through all the cycling issues with cayno,hair algae,and all the other stuff associated with a new setup,now looks like I'll get to do it again LOL