Willie's plywood adventure

Willie McDaries

I have started building a plywood aquarium,something like Varga did,so I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions,and I am going very slow
(money permitting)so bare with me on the updates,but here are a few pics of where I'm at now. :)

HPIM2959.jpg

HPIM2958.jpg

HPIM2956.jpg

HPIM2957.jpg

these are before the epoxy paint or fiberglass

Willie McDaries

here is where I am at now on the tank

HPIM2968.jpg

HPIM2965.jpg

HPIM2966.jpg

HPIM2967.jpg

I'm gonna leave the back of the over flow as plywood so there'll be no mistaking that it is a plywood tank ;)

Willie McDaries

I want to use 1 center brace and do a euro perimeter style,
I'm gonna use a sheet of plywood for this and just cut out the holes

how wide do I need the perimeter to be to keep it from bowing?

how wide does the center brace need to be?

Reddog170

I cant answer your question. I can say that your tank is looking sweet. I will follow along and watch how it goes. Great job so far, Shaun

jcgardner

This is going to be awesome. Maybe I can learn enough and attempt it myself when we do the addition to our house. Good Luck, I'lll be following along.

Willie McDaries

thanx everyone,

I did do some more today with the top bracing,the 2 braces that have the bulk heads on then is the 2 I really want to remove but I don't know if the perimeter bracing will be enough between the end and center brace to keep it from bowing,I will leave the center brace for sure,any advice would be appreciated

HPIM2993.jpg

HPIM2983.jpg

HPIM2984.jpg

HPIM2985.jpg

HPIM2986.jpg

lcstorc

Gotta admire you. I can barely make a stand that doesn't wobble.
These tanks have always fascinated me so I will be following along as well.
I wish I had an answer on the brace question. Sorry

Willie McDaries

thanx guys,

I am at a stand still for a while,but I'll post pics as I get more done,money is really tight right now,they cut our hours at work and it dont look good right now.it may be a few months
I still haven't found glass close to home,glass cages quoted me a price of $175,I could drive down and pick it up,but that be about a 5 hr drive each way and probably cost $150 or more in gas.

sambrinar

Wow the tank looks great! I am following along as well. Very interested in how this is gonna turn out!

Sorry I am clueless about the brace as well

jcgardner

Just my 2 cents, I would leave the braces because that is going to be a lot of weight and pressure in that box. I am no carpenter or engineer but if it was my build I wouldn't want to chance it.

Willie McDaries

thanx for the input jcgardner,I'm not sure of it either,there is no doubt in my mind of it holding like I have it now,its very strong,but the cross bracing is gonna block some light.

before I put the top on,you could pick up on a corner and it would twist a little but after the top,no more twisting :) its very rigid now

JoJo

nice job so far Willie. i told you it would be well worth starting that thread. i'm not sure if you need all the braces or not. how many does Varg have?

Willie McDaries

I think he added 4,but he used all thread,it doesn't block any light,thats what I should done.but didn't leave enough room for the all thread.