Willie's plywood adventure

Willie McDaries

thought I might try to work on the top some this weekend,may be add some more bracing to the stand,and try to figure out my sump tank

Willie McDaries

well I got a start on my sump today here are some pic,its 44Lx22Wx16D...about 60 gallons

HPIM2999.jpg

HPIM3000.jpg

HPIM3001.jpg

Willie McDaries

looking very good :thumbup:

are you going to be making the baffles out of plywood aswell?

thanx Jeremy,
thats something I haven't figure out yet,I'll need a bubble trap of some sort for sure,I thought may be doing a bubble tower like Marc melevsreef.com does in his sumps
chvy_probes.jpg

the box on the right side,with the holes in the bottom,you place some rock rubble in there and the water flows in from the top,over the rocks,the bubbles are contained in that area,the water flows out through the bottom,bubble free

the sump I have now I use a piece of 4" pvc capped on bottom with holes drilled in the sides next to the bottom,it works the same way as his bubble tower.

Basile

That look good man, could you glue accrylic panel on wood. wouldn't they sway after a while. I Red that somewhere.You can glue accrylic on accrylic but accrylic on glass or other medium, it bends after a while. can't remember where i red it though. Maybe i'm wrong. just a thought.I'd go with plywood since you got the fiberglass material for it.

Jeremy0322

That look good man, could you glue accrylic panel on wood. wouldn't they sway after a while. I Red that somewhere.You can glue accrylic on accrylic but accrylic on glass or other medium, it bends after a while. can't remember where i red it though. Maybe i'm wrong. just a thought.I'd go with plywood since you got the fiberglass material for it.

I used Lexan on glass and it lasted for over a year, and when disassembling the sump it was a PAIN to get out. I did use ALOT of silicone though.

Willie McDaries

I'll dont know yet what I'll use,I doubt that the silicon would hold the acrylic very well to the epoxy using it as a divider in the sump,but it might,I might try and see,it'd sure look better than plywood and wouldn't take up as much room.

I ordered a sheet of tempered glass for the tank yesterday,should have it in a week or so, :) the glass was 24"x94"x1/2" tempered-$192.54

Jeremy0322,I meant to include the cost in the first post,there always time to edit the post though :)

Last edited:

Willie McDaries

I was convinced by someone on reefcentral that my stand needed beefed up a bit,I took his word and heres pic of what I did.

here you can see,I doubled the 2x6 perimeter framing and added a 1x6 between them all glued,clamped,and screwed together,also added more cross pieces that are now on 12" centers...this was to support the plywood joints on the bottom better
HPIM3002.jpg

I also added more upright 2x4s in the corners,
HPIM3003.jpg

I don't know if it was necessary or not,but it sure made the stand a lot stronger and heavier :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks good man! I agree about the stand. Better safe then sorry. So when is the glass arriving?

l3fty999

I was convinced by someone on reefcentral that my stand needed beefed up a bit,I took his word and heres pic of what I did.

here you can see,I doubled the 2x6 perimeter framing and added a 1x6 between them all glued,clamped,and screwed together,also added more cross pieces that are now on 12" centers...this was to support the plywood joints on the bottom better
HPIM3002.jpg

I also added more upright 2x4s in the corners,
HPIM3003.jpg

I don't know if it was necessary or not,but it sure made the stand a lot stronger and heavier :)

Ok, sounds like you have the stand problem under control, but how much weight can your floor support? I would check it out now while it's convenient to do so. I myself live in a prefab home, so I have to pay very close attention to this.

Good luck
Aaron

Willie McDaries

yeah,better safe than sorry with the stand

frankie,I ordered the glass last Tuesday,the lady said it usually took a week to 10 days to cut and temper it and get back to them,they order from another place.

13fty999,I've for sure got to add extra support to the floor,as best as I can guesstimate I'll have about a ton and a half of weight :)

basile,someone needs to keep an eye on me :)

lcstorc,thanx for the link,I'll check it out

and thanx guys,for everything :fingerx:

Basile

We should be thanking you! Your project is so interesting . can't wait to see all set up.:wave:

Willie McDaries

basile,
this is a project I'm really enjoying doing,I wasn't going to post it until I had it almost finished,JoJo convinced me to start a build thread......it has proved to be a great idea,I've gotten ideas and suggestion I'd never thought of,and used....for that I am truly thankful

I want to try the PVC and foam rock formation thing like you're doing in your tank,I just got to get this thing done first....1 project at a time is all my shop can handle,I can't turn around in there now.....my brain can't process more than 1 thing at a time either, :)