Whippetguy's 16g Nano Tank

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
A little update. I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and left my tank to my adult niece who always does a great job with my tanks and other pets. Unfortunately, there was a short power outage and my heater didn't reset at the correct temp before she realized it, tank got too cool. My little yellow eye combtooth blenny didn't make it. Everything else survived the incident intact. He was such a great little character and will be missed. I think my little clown misses him. I'm on the look out for a tailspot or pink streaked wrasse to make up for the loss.

Blndbunny

I'm so sorry for your loss :( you mentioned doing a pink streak wrasse have you considered doing a possum wrasse? My LFS had one in recently and he was such a cool fish, and very social

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about your combtooth blenny
1346.gif
glad to hear you didn't lose anything else !

Andy

i love this tank. if i get a new tank (which i want!!!!) im defo gona put some barnacles on display they look cool!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
i love this tank. if i get a new tank (which i want!!!!) im defo gona put some barnacles on display they look cool!

I'm amazed at how many of my fish like to stay in them. In this tank, my blenny and my clown liked them. In my main DT, my starry blenny and my hogfish like the larger barnacles. In fact, my hogfish sleeps in one of the barnacles, making a little cocoon inside it.

reefreeper

Your tank is still lookin good man, i really post some updates on my tank, just got a few new zoas today

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

any updates on your tank? ive been following your progress for the past few weeks so i decided to join. i have the exact tank and am wanting the similar setup. i like your tank alot. how did your LR purp up so quickly? looks good and any tips for rearranging lr? i think my tank is a bit too high? just curious ill upload a pic. open to ideas thanks.

reefreeper

any updates on your tank? ive been following your progress for the past few weeks so i decided to join. i have the exact tank and am wanting the similar setup. i like your tank alot. how did your LR purp up so quickly? looks good and any tips for rearranging lr? i think my tank is a bit too high? just curious ill upload a pic. open to ideas thanks.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hey reefreeper, I replaced my lost combtooth blenny with a tailspot blenny a couple of weeks ago. It promptly disappeared after 5 days in the tank and I assumed that it had perished and then last Thursday I noticed it sitting on top of the pump in the back chamber of the tank looking happy and content. After 4 days of trying, i finally caught him and put him back where he belonged and have since placed some netting covering the overflow grates until he gets too big to fit through. As far as the color of the rocks, some of the rock I purchased already had a good color but it has spread pretty well on other parts of the rock. I've rearranged my rocks several times, though. I think you just have to play with it until you get it how you like. Thanks for the nice comments.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Here are the latest tank photos from today. I finally settled on the Aquamaxx skimmer which works great and a IM minimax bio pellet reactor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370109413.789015.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370109425.572889.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370109435.578310.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370109446.291594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370109457.612178.jpg

Last edited:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just a quick update. I changed out the stock LEDs with a Maxspect Razor 10k 20in. which fits perfectly over this tank. I love the sunrise/sunset effects. I think I messed up with the transition, though and have been fighting cyanobacteria for a few weeks since I made the change. I'm thinking I prolonged the lighting too long and maybe not ramped up high enough yet. Nothing else has changed in the tank so I'm playing with the light. I also had an aiptasia field growing in this tank. Having a fire shrimp and a pistol shrimp in the tank already, I was skeptical about adding a peppermint. Turns out, i was wrong, the little pep lives on the left side of the tank and fire has the right and the pistol keeps his happy home underneath the whole thing. The aiptasia was wiped out in under 2 weeks. I consider myself very lucky cause the outbreak was horrible and I actually got one that loved the stuff.

Here's a couple of photos. These are from the new iPhone 5s and I must say, I'm very impressed with the quality of photos it takes.
null_zps2a7c0527.jpg

null_zpsf5d05f81.jpg

.... very impressed with the quality of photos it takes....

No joke... that shrimp pic came out really nice. And glad to hear the lil aips got handled. I'm breaking down a 60 gal Solana XL to get rid of the little buggers.... wasted too much money on other control methods that failed. :wave:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a few in my 65g, wish I could transfer the peppermint there since he did such a good job. My hogfish would make quick work of him, I'm afraid.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats on getting the peppermint shrimp that did a good job! Pictures look great!! Must be just the user skills because I can't take good pictures with my iPhone 5....my iPad works better for taking pictures for me.

kyle4201

Congrats on getting the peppermint shrimp that did a good job! Pictures look great!! Must be just the user skills because I can't take good pictures with my iPhone 5....my iPad works better for taking pictures for me.
Samsung note II,, AWESOME!!! :)