What to do in a power outage?

Oxylebius

For those of you on the east coast waiting for the large snow storm to hit tomorrow, it is not too late to start to plan how to run your tank if you loose power. Here is a list of threads that present options for power and suggestions on what to do when you loose power to keep the tank warm and critters alive. You may want to read some of these. If you have other suggestions please feel free to post them.

Powerless!!!???

What do you guys do in a power outage?

Hurricane Sandy/Power Outage preparedness

Power outage ?

Need suggestions on dealing with power outage

power is off for a long time need help

Power Out!!!

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-blo...-during-a-power-outage-or-other-disaster.aspx

Mjcj34g

I had the power go out two summer's ago. Bought a generator and transfer switch the next day. Hasn't gone out since. Bring on the snow! This generator has got to pay for itself sooner or later.....LOL

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

DaveK

My "backup system" consists of 3 battery powered pumps that run 1 airstone each. It's not much, just enough to give me some water movement and gas exchange. Since I live in a condo, having a generator is not possible. As for a computer type UPS, I don't want batteries like that around SW.

An outside the house generator would be ideal, if you could maintain the fuel supply, but it would be expensive.

Even if you do that, if you get an all out disaster in your area, that's about the end of your current reef system.

Mjcj34g

You should strike a deal with the neghbors that they can use some power of you can run a generator DaveK

soco

With a growing tendency for solar panels, it would be interesting if one can handle couple of pumps in the tank.
solar panels and batteries would definitely be able to have enough power to work. The problem is solar is so very expensive to invest in.

Oxylebius

My "backup system" consists of 3 battery powered pumps that run 1 airstone each. It's not much, just enough to give me some water movement and gas exchange. Since I live in a condo, having a generator is not possible. As for a computer type UPS, I don't want batteries like that around SW.

An outside the house generator would be ideal, if you could maintain the fuel supply, but it would be expensive.

Even if you do that, if you get an all out disaster in your area, that's about the end of your current reef system.

I was a bit taken back by your post. I know you to be frank and straight to the point, but this is a bit negative. I know that some tanks were lost when Superstorm Sandy hit b/c the devastation was so widespread and prolonged, but I expect this city to be up and running by the end of Monday, if not sooner then that. Yes, it is forecast to be a big significant storm and there will be power outages due to high winds of the blizzard, but I think a little prep can get most of us through this storm. A little planning and prep doesn't hurt and should be encouraged.

My backup is a car battery w/ inverter to run the heater and a pump for the large tank. I also have two battery operated air stones on hand. And I have many heat packs so that I can keep my turtle and her guppies from freezing by wrapping them around the tank with blankets.

An outside generator would be ideal to have. I don't have one yet.

DaveK

You should strike a deal with the neghbors that they can use some power of you can run a generator DaveK

This isn't even an option when you live in a condo. To install something external would require condo board approval, and that's not going to happen, ever. In addition, you would have the safety issues of running long extension cords to neighbors.

That's one of the things you have with condo living. On one hand you have to play by the condo rules, on the other hand this prevents a neighbor from storing a car on blocks or putting a lot of plastic pink lawn flamingos all over their lawn.

BryanD

This isn't even an option when you live in a condo. To install something external would require condo board approval, and that's not going to happen, ever. In addition, you would have the safety issues of running long extension cords to neighbors.

That's one of the things you have with condo living. On one hand you have to play by the condo rules, on the other hand this prevents a neighbor from storing a car on blocks or putting a lot of plastic pink lawn flamingos all over their lawn.
if you have a balcony you could use a tiny generator in an emergency...http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-Peak3200-Running-Watts-65-HP-212cc-Generator-EPA-III-69676.html

Dracko

For those with a sump they make both 6v and 12v submersible water heaters. But they are not thermostat controlled so you would have to keep an eye on them. They dont cost a lot, and will run for days off a fully charged battery.

spiraling

solar panels and batteries would definitely be able to have enough power to work. The problem is solar is so very expensive to invest in.

The problem with solar is - if your power went out from a storm you probably have cloudy / crappy weather for days and the solar is no good.

generator FTW

Pat24601

I keep wanting to get a generator for the whole house. If I knew I'd be here for a long time, I would have. Being without power is stressful with young kids and fish.

soco

The problem with solar is - if your power went out from a storm you probably have cloudy / crappy weather for days and the solar is no good.

generator FTW
Actually that's not how most solar works nowdays. They charge batteries that can last for quite a long time now. And even with clouds and bad weather they can still charge. One of my friends runs a solar company and if u can afford the initial setup cost you will always have power. Idk how the smaller units work but even those are very costly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

PCDS

I was planning a UPS for my nano tank as it has an over the back, siphon overflow system. I some times get very short power interruptions which have not been enough to cause a problem with the main tank but if the return pump stopped long enough to break the siphon, I may be in trouble. Is there a problem near ( within a few feet of) the salt water?? Looking online I've seen a lot of UPS systems mentioned. I just had an electrician sort out the power supply for my tanks. I mentioned I was going to get a UpS and he was not concerned. Just curious.....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hope everyone has power - looks like many got record amounts - lets see some snow pics

snow-generic-writing.jpg