Hurricane Sandy/Power Outage preparedness

wscttwolfe

So I've been doing some reading about this hurricane nonsense the weather sites are talking about...

"The GFS model, which has been one of our two top models for predicting hurricane tracks the past two years, has been very inconsistent with its handling of Sandy. Runs of the GFS model done 6 hours apart, at 8 pm last night and 2 am EDT this morning, were 300 miles apart in their position for Sandy on Tuesday, with the latest run predicting a landfall in Maine on Wednesday morning. On the other hand, the ECMWF model, our other top model for predicting hurricane tracks, has been very consistent in its handling of Sandy. The ECMWF model has Sandy hitting Delaware on Monday afternoon, the same forecast it has had for three consecutive runs. The other models tend to follow one extreme or the other, and NHC is picking a solution somewhere in the middle of these two extremes. " Source: Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Sandy slams Cuba, intensifies over the Bahamas | Weather Underground

So: IF these guys actually get this right (a big if), and this thing slams the mid atlantic, and I lose power for 24-36 hours (in downtown washington DC? can the power even go out in major cities?), then what can I do to prepare, and minimize fish and coral loss?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
well heat and flow come into play here.....wrapping the tank with a thermal blanket helps. I plan to use my gas stove to heat water and put it in a water bottle to keep heat.

also, unless you have a batter back up........battery powered air pumps can be used to produce some movement of the water......it helps a little. Also, manual stirring with a turkey baster is a good hourly addition!

wscttwolfe

Thats a good tip. I'm also thinking that these fish and corals can all survive at least 24 hours of shipping, in a tiny amount of water relative to a tank, with no water movement and no heat. So that gives us some leeway hopefully.

Also planning on a 25% WC day before, if this thing does come my way

theplantman

+1 on battery backup, know how much the equipment you want to run eats in power and size the backup appropriately, or get a portable gas powered generator. Had issues like this myself every time an ice storm hit when I lived in Atlanta, would lose power for days.

tommyboynj

I'm in NJ. Gonna need some prayers for this one. I lived in the tropics for 3 years and got hit every year. Once with a cat 4. No power for 9 days. no running water for 14 days. big time suck. I get tired of listing to the "this thing isn't gonna be that bad. It's all hyped up". Once you have actually seen what a full blown hurricane can do, your attitude changes quick. That's why I now have a generator. Keeps the well pump, fridge and tank up and running. However, if a tree falls on my house. I'm screwed :maddown:

wscttwolfe

i found an outlet in a common area that is supposedly powered by an emergency generator. Will I run 200 feet of electrical cord from that to my tank? absolutely.

Of my power goes out I'm going to be sitting at my tank with a turkey baster in one hand and a bottle of vodka in the other until the power comes back on lol

hackstr13

Guys get a 12 volt converter and in a pinch just hook it up to your car and run the engine off and on to keep the battery in the car charged and you can run a heater and a power head or two that way ... this from experience .. 900W converter should do it. HTH

Robert

Sailagain

I got a generator as soon as my tank was starting to get stocked with coral and fish.

I was in the LFS yesterday and a customer was saying how she lost her whole tank last year when the power went out for 5 days. She had just come from Home Depot trying to buy a generator. Of course they were all well out of stock by then.

I think if you are going to spend $100s if not $1000s of dollars for stuff to go into your tank - a $350 generator is a good insurance policy.

Of course this wont work if you live in an apartment building.... I don't think they would take kindly to a generator in the parking lot and 500 ft of cord to your apartment. : )

tommyboynj

So what is the real killer to tank in a power outage? No lights? No circulation? No heat? No filtration?

I'd say circulation and heat are you two biggest concerns. Prolonged periods of no light will take their toll. But no circ and heat for periods beyond 6-8 hours are gonna be a big problem. Said my reef tank prayers at church this am.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
How is everyone on the coast up there doing? Any updates ? (if you have power and a connection to be able to post)

Here hoping for the best for all !