power is off for a long time need help

soco

So im sure most of u know the power is off in ohio. Well i am one of those people. Sadly i got a generator but by the time i got it going it was too late. I have lost3 fish and now the corals are starting to go. I know i need to do water changes but my town is on a water restiction because the pumping stations dont have power either... so i need som advice to reassure me im doing the right thing. Since my ro filter wastes so much water i am planing on just using tap water. Bad i know, but i have to do something it is better than wasting what little water i might have right? Any input greatly appreciated

redneckgearhead

Ok, I am not sure why you want to do water changes? I am going to assume your fish died from heat? Temperature and keeping the water aerated are going to be your two biggest concerns, other than that your fish and coral will be fine without water movement. You will probably need frozen water bottles to help keep the temps in check, and a fan blowing on it. You can keep the water aerated by using a jug to dip water out and pour it back in, or I have read peroxide works as well but I wouldn't have a clue as to how much to use. Just as a precaution run some ammonia checks and then you may need a bottle of prime or water changes. Good luck.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah movement, air and temp (I assume it is high like scott). WC will help if the dead fish were in there for a while. If you're going to use tap water I would judt use both the good and waste water from the RO, at least it is somewhat filtered.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
good advise above ^

Sorry to hear you have lost 3 fish & some corals !

imo - if you want to do a wc, I would use ro/di a 10% wc with ro/di waste is only like someone taking one bath

fishguy4

Ok, I am not sure why you want to do water changes? I am going to assume your fish died from heat? Temperature and keeping the water aerated are going to be your two biggest concerns, other than that your fish and coral will be fine without water movement. You will probably need frozen water bottles to help keep the temps in check, and a fan blowing on it. You can keep the water aerated by using a jug to dip water out and pour it back in, or I have read peroxide works as well but I wouldn't have a clue as to how much to use. Just as a precaution run some ammonia checks and then you may need a bottle of prime or water changes. Good luck.

+1 dude calm down. go buy urself an aerator that runs on a battery and stick it in. Close all you shades in that room and close th door. Try to get a battery powered fan. As stated u gotta keep it cool and aerated. Wat fish died and wats ur temp lookin like right now?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good luck - googled power out - athens oh .... bummer !!!

AEP Says Restoring Power Could Take 5 To 7 Days
By Michael Locklear
Published Sat, Jun 30, 2012 7:46 am Dateline Athens, OH
Updated Sat, Jun 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Update 10 p.m. American Electric Power is now reporting 9,000 "wires down and other hazards" and still says "restoration is expected to continue for at least 5-7 days for the majority of the customers affected."

An outage map on the company's website shows 63.5 percent of Athens County is without power.

About 90 percent of Jackson, Meigs, Vinton and Washington counties don't have electricity.

AEP's website breaks down by city when power is expected to be restored. For the Athens area, the earliest the company expects to reach 90-percent restoration is midnight Friday.

Here a link to when you will be back up... http://www.aepohio.com/global/utilities/lib/docs/outages/AEPOhio/Athens_6_30.pdf

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Glenn - I'm not understanding you comment on the RO/DI waste water..... Are you saying he should use it over tap? I'm missing the analogy!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a good article:

Surviving extended power outages: how to keep your aquarium alive!

By Mike Maddox and Merritt Adkins

Recently, many citizens of the southern United States were mildly to severely affected by the hurricane activity that took place there this summer, including ourselves. We were forced to evacuate twice (leaving our large aquariums behind) and were without power for two weeks in our place of refuge (120 miles away from the coast!) after Hurricane Ike. Every aquatic animal we were able to bring with us survived that two weeks, and we’d like to share how we accomplished this, and what we learned. We hope that you can learn from and apply the knowledge from this article, whether your power outage lasts two hours or two weeks!

Step 1: Equipment

Seeing as we literally lived on the coast, we had additional equipment that most hobbyists probably consider unnecessary, but could find helpful should they ever experience an outage.

Common items that you should have, or probably already have:

Battery operated air pumps: available from most hardware/sporting goods stores, or online from various pet vendors. We purchased a waterproof version that ran for 36 hours on 2 D cell batteries from Academy. Don’t forget extra batteries, or even better (and more environmentally friendly!), rechargeable batteries and a charger. A battery operated air pump shouldn’t set you back more than ~$15, although there are ones that will automatically turn on in the event of a power failure that cost more. A battery operated air pump is invaluable, both for oxygenation and water movement, and they’re very efficient.

Uninterruptible Power Supplies: Often referred to simply as a UPS. Widely used in many homes and offices to prevent computer data loss during a power outage, a UPS will provide AC power from a battery for a limited amount of time. Very handy for periodically running pumps/filters/heaters, they can also be used to run low wattage air pumps for days or even weeks. UPS supplies usually run $50-200, depending on the size of the battery in the unit. A useful investment, a UPS will be useful every day for protecting your computers and other sensitive electronics.
Less common items that will help in the event of a long term power outage (aka fun toys for men and other electronically inclined individuals):

Generator: gasoline or butane powered, a generator (depending upon the size and wattage) will anything from a small aquarium system to your entire house. Their downfall is they are expensive to run (especially with gas prices these days), require fuel (something that was in such short supply we usually couldn’t run one), are usually quite expensive ($500+) and have to be run outside to prevent dangerous carbon monoxide buildup. For us, it turned out that it simply wasn’t practical or possible to keep our aquatic systems powered by a generator due to fuel shortages and other necessities. Generators are purchasable at hardware stores or via online vendors.
Portable power supply: these nifty items are usually sold for cars, and often have a built in jump-start capability, tire inflator, emergency radio, or some combination thereof. However, many also have AC plugs and function identically to a UPS. We discovered their usefulness to aquatic hobbyists during the hurricane outage by using one to power two small water pumps in our nano reef aquariums, and it could be recharged via our solar charger. We bought our portable power supply from Wal-Mart for $100 for auto emergencies, and have seen them for sale in other warehouse departments and at hardware stores.

Solar trickle charger: a small solar pane that trickle charges up to 12 volt batteries. We used this to charge our portable power supply, and an extra car battery we had. Best $20 purchase I’ve ever made, and they can be found from specialty battery/electronics vendors online.

Automobile power inverter: We already owned this 200 watt inverter for the car (Mike likes electronics, can you tell?) and used it daily by attaching it to a spare car battery. Inverters of various wattages can be had in the automotive section of any department store, and cost $20-100, depending upon the output wattage.

Many of the above items, or combination thereof, can be used to charge D cell batteries for your air pumps, which is generally the most efficient use of your limited power.

Step 2: Prepare

Forewarned is forearmed, so they say, and this is no exception. If you know a power outage could be immanent, it’s time to prepare! Our goal is to minimize waste buildup, keep oxygen levels high, prevent temperature swings, and in the case of marine invertebrates, provide at least some water movement.

Prepare on a per system basis: Do you have a marine or freshwater aquarium? Is it fish only? Do you have a reef aquarium? Each type of system is going to need different treatment in order to survive loss-free. Fish only systems (especially freshwater) will do fine as long as there are no fast temperature swings and oxygen is maintained. Reef aquariums will need water motion, and in long term scenarios (a week or more), some form of lighting. Here are a few guidelines to follow no matter what type of system you have:

Clean! Clean all filters thoroughly, and gravel vacuum (if applicable). Perform large (50%+) water changes with water of the same pH/temp/salinity (if applicable). Set aside freshly mixed aquarium water in case you need it.
Stop feeding: most healthy aquatic animals can go a week or more without eating with no ill effects, and usually longer. Less food means less pollution, more oxygen for your animals, and less fish waste.
Temperature control: If possible, insulate your aquarium with household insulation available at hardware stores before the outage. Blankets work well, also, especially during an unexpected outage. You may not be able to prevent temperature changes, but you should be able to prevent rapid temperature changes, which is essential if you want your animals to survive. Depending on how the temperature will shift, prepare with ice or frozen water bottles, battery/gas heaters, oil lamps, or fans.

Step 3: Outage

During the outage, there are a few things to watch for, and steps you can take (besides nail biting) to prevent loss of life. Consider the following:

Oxygen: the amount of dissolved oxygen will depend on a number of factors, including surface area of the aquarium, stocking level, temperature, dissolved organics, and activity of the inhabitants. One battery operated air pump should be more than enough for all but the larger or more heavily stocked systems. If your fish are ‘gasping’ at the surface, oxygen levels are critically low.
Water motion: water motion is very important in a reef aquarium. The simplest way to accomplish this (and the least power hungry) is to use battery operated air pumps. Even in a large aquarium, you should be able to provide enough water motion to keep the inhabitants alive with a few pumps. A little elbow grease and a pitcher should work on corals that are overly ‘sliming’. If you have any of the nifty power supplies lifted above, turning on the circulation pump for a few minutes every hour will help greatly (small pumps could possibly be run for the entire outage).
Water quality: ammonia neutralizers like Seachem’s Prime or Kordon’s Amquel will go a long way towards keeping your fish alive, especially if an evacuation was necessary. We managed to keep large marine and freshwater pufferfish alive in 5 gallon buckets by dosing Prime every day, and feeding very little. If your fish are still in the aquarium, refrain from feeding, and perform water changes frequently if necessary.
Lighting: not necessary for fish, but eventually necessary for photosynthetic animals. If your outage lasts less than a week, you have nothing to worry about. If you’re without power longer than a week, try for opening a window (even indirect sunlight carries a lot of energy) or plugging in fluorescent lights into a battery backup for a few minutes to an hour a day. This is when a small solar charger + portable power pack can save your corals, as we found out.

Step 4: Recovery

Let’s hear it for power! I’m sure you’re ready to bask in the now-restored air conditioning, or heating, if you’re up north, but first take a few minutes to check your aquariums. Clean out the filters again, and perform another large water change. After that, you should be good to go! Hopefully your animals survived, perhaps partly from the information you learned here!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
One more...

Aquarium Maintenance: Planning for and Dealing with Power Outages
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Print Article | Email Article

Many aquarium owners live in fear of the day when their power goes out and jeopardizes the life of their entire aquarium system. Almost anyone who owns an aquarium knows someone who has had their entire tank wiped out by a power outage. No matter where you live, you are eventually going to have a power outage, and how well your tank handles it will depend on how prepared you are. Every aquarium owner needs to have a plan and a few necessary pieces of equipment on hand for dealing with power outages. This article will explain the dangers associated with power outages and will give some tips for coping with the problems that result.

Localized power outage

There are two types of power outages, localized and general. The localized power outage is when a fish tank's main power source is disrupted, either by having the power cord come unplugged or by having a fuse blow or a circuit breaker trip. Having all plugs securely fastened and protected from foot traffic and childrens' hands are a must. A tripped circuit breaker can be easily fixed, but the source of the problem needs to be identified. A cracked heater or frozen pump motor may be the culprit. A simple plug-in alarm device that will sound off when power is interrupted is worth every penny in preventing accidental localized power loss. In big reef systems, having 2 or more electrical circuits to the tank is probably a good idea and may be necessary to run the lights, UV sterilizer, chiller, etc. By spreading out your pumps, heaters, air stones, etc. over these circuits, you can eliminate a catastrophe if one of the circuit breakers trips when you are not home.

Ground fault interrupted outlets are required to be used with aquariums in some states and are very important in preventing electric shock near water. One drawback of these outlets are that they are very sensitive and even the tiniest amount of stray voltage can trip them rendering a loss of power. When using these devices, make sure they are installed by a professional and ensure that all of your electrical equipment is functioning properly and appropriately sized.

Generalized power outage

The generalized power outage is usually a result of a loss of power due to a downed power line or damaged transformer. Most of these power outages are relatively short, but occasionally, can last days. Despite all of your precautions, these types of outages cannot be prevented and must be dealt with when they occur. Knowing what will happen to your tank and having a plan is critical to prevent a serious problem with your aquarium.

One of the first things every aquarium owner should do after setting up their tank and before adding any fish is to simulate a power outage. By turning off all of the power for several minutes, you can check your plumbing to make sure you do not have any water siphoning back that could drain your tank. When you start your tank back up, you can make sure that the pumps and other equipment will function properly. If your equipment does not perform adequately, now is the time to make changes, before you add your fish.

Short term power outage

Power outages of less than an hour probably will not significantly affect your tank. Even in very hot or cold weather (which is, incidentally, when most power outages occur), your oxygen levels or temperature should not change significantly. In fact, intervening to correct the temperature, etc., in a very short term power outage, may stress the fish more than the outage itself.

Long term power outage

Depending on the size of your tank, the room temperature, and how densely your tank is stocked, a power outage can be considered long term in as little as an hour, but for most tanks, it is considered any disruption of power that lasts for more than three hours. If you have a large or expensive tank with a sensitive fish population, a portable generator is a very cheap investment. Having the generator wired into the circuit so it goes on when the power goes out is also a good idea, if you are away from your tank for long periods of time.

Changes which occur during a power outage

Oxygen depletion

One of the first things that happens when your power goes out is that the oxygen level in your tank begins to decrease. There are several things that speed the depletion of oxygen including:

A heavy fish load
Increasing temperature
A heavy plant load
Feeding the fish
An increase in fish activity
Fish require oxygen, so if the tank is heavily stocked, moving some of the fish to a lightly stocked tank may help. If you have a heavily stocked tank and live in an area where power outages are common, a generator may be a wise purchase.

Plants will contribute oxygen to a tank when under direct lighting, but when darkness occurs, they begin using oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide. While covering a tank to decrease the light is a good idea for a fish-only tank, it may be more detrimental in a freshwater planted tank.

Fish can go for days without eating, so avoid feeding fish in a power outage because it will increase their activity level therefore increasing the bacterial activity causing an accelerated loss of oxygen.

Try to decrease the activity in the tank by darkening it with a sheet, etc. (unless you have a planted tank), and not disturbing the occupants. Quietly resting fish use less oxygen then active fish.

Consider having a battery operated pump/air stone or two on hand. While it will not replace your current air stone and pump, it will add some oxygen back into the water.

Change in temperature

After oxygen depletion, temperature fluctuations are the next most dangerous change in a power outage. Most well-insulated homes will maintain their temperature for several hours. Try to keep the temperature in the room as steady as possible. In cold weather, building a fire in the fireplace or draping a blanket over the tank to help insulate it may help. In severe cases, adding hot water or ice to the tank may be tried but realize that in a large tank, the amount of hot water or ice that will need to be added to significantly alter the temperature may be unreasonably large. Also, the sudden change in temperature as you add the water/ice, even if it is only several degrees, may be more stressful for the fish than the gradual temperature change due to the outage. Long power outages in very hot weather can be particularly deadly to a reef tank if the owner does not have a generator.

Once the power comes back on

When power is restored, be aware that the biological waste present in the tank and mechanical filtration pads may have started to be broken down anaerobically producing methane and hydrogen sulfide. These gasses can be very toxic to fish, so try to remove and clean the filter pads before the power comes back on. If the power outage lasted more than several hours, realize that your fish will be very stressed. Monitor them closely while disturbing them as little as possible for the first few days. If you see signs of ich or other diseases developing, take appropriate treatment action. Monitor the water quality as well and do not be afraid to do water changes to help get the water quality back to normal.

While a power outage can be a disaster for aquarium owners, it does not have to be. By taking a few precautions and buying some basic emergency equipment, you can protect your tank from the potential dangers of your next power outage.

soco

Sorry guys i disnt explain very well cause if freaking out. The reason i need to do water changes is because the dead stuff has fouled the water and it is makeing more things die. The water stinks and is cloudy. So i need to dilute the problem. Air and heat are not a big problem but whatever happened the first night that killeda bunch of stuff has now set off a chain of dieing stuff ito need to do like 3-4 massave wc a 10%good wc on a 100+ gall system is not going to get rid of the funk. Im asking how bad is it to use tap water? Doing no wc is a death sentence for the whole tank

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Tap water in the short term followed by RO/DI water changes later to flush it out shouldn't be bad.... Do you have any dechlorinator?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
add fresh carbon too

are you wanting to do a 50% wc? 45 gallons? ro/di would be like 200 gal waste... you could bath with the waste water...

I would be slow to use tap... if I had a choice... but I don't really understand your water restrictions... is 200 gals a lot? Do people bath with the restrictions?

fishguy4

ya dude u need to do a wc now.is ur lfs open? Buy some of their water or at least some dechlorinator. Ya ur situation doesnt sound too good :(

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Using tap once with dechlorinator not too bad. May raise phosphate levels however it sounds better than the alternative.

.............I'm feeling salty.

soco

Ya glen im planning on doing lile 30% wc like 2 or 3u times im not setup to do anything larger. Thanks everyone for the help im on way now to get dechlorinator. And as far as water restrictions go they havent given specific amount we can use but i live in a very small town and with the pumping station down we are expected to run out of water in a few days.....the power is estimated to be out for 5-7 days so theyve said at some point we will run out of fresh water........ :-(

I live in Central Ohio and what I did until I got a generator was went to autozone bought a power inverter, ran a long extenstion cord and then every couple hours I would start the car and run the powerhead (koralia 6) for aprox 20 min. The first night I lost a couple fish as well because I passed out and forgot to go sturr the water. This stuff sucks makes me wanna go spend the money on a MP40. Just for the battery backup option. Good Luck

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you lost a couple fish !
1346.gif

I want a Honda generator, but for now have a power inverter

a good :read: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ttery-backup-any-tank-any-size-step-step.html