What is this?

shark32

Hi,
Not sure if this should be posted in the hitchhiker spot, so I posted here. I do not know how to circle on my picture so I am going to describe the best I can where the thing is. Closer to the bottom, all the way to the right of the rock with the green circle things on it,on the end, is a small thing that sticks out of the rock and has feather like things that wave in the water. They feather arms(?) are not always out and I have never seen this before either. Could this have always been on my live rock and has now come back to life? It is very hard to see in this picture, but on the back of this same rock is a clear similar looking feathery arm thing, but that one is flat on the rock. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks and have a good night!!

100_6793.jpg

shark32

Is that what it is? I thought the a feather duster would either have to be put in your tank by you or it would come in on the live rock 'alive'. My live rock has been in the tank for almost 2 months and I have never seen him. So I guess it is possible that they can came back to life! Thanks Twofinhogie!!

shark32

After googling feather duster worms, I came across a picture of these worms curled up like a snail on the glass. I have about twenty of these worms all over my glass. I thought they were baby snails with a little algae on them. I have no idea where they came from, but I read that they are good to have. Maybe they hitchhiked in on my Cheato?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You'll probably see a lot more of the tiny feather duster types. That type seems to stay very small and pop out of miniscule holes in the rock.

I think the ones on the glass may be these Spirorbids?:

Melevsreef.com - Spirorbid Worms

Pretty common.

shark32

Thanks Reefmack,
I took a pic of the ones in my tank that are on the glass. I think they are the same as what you said:
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx29/USCSI95/100_6784.jpg[/IM
I am sure glad they are good, because there are a lot of them!!
Patti

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome! Yep - that's them! If they get to be too many just scrape them off - a bladed scraper is better and safer for the glass than dragging them off with a mag scraper. Cool little animals, and a good picture - I only rarely see them extended like that. That was a nice trick using the magnifier. :)

shark32

Thanks,
I actually see a few different critters with that loupe. I use it at work to check for fraudulent documents after we take people into custody, but I find that I use it much more on my fish tank now!! There are a lot of cool little things in there!! Thanks again!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You'll see lots the more you look! I've often only noticed things when I took macro shots of the rock - things so small that the eye doesn't spot them, but easily seen in the pictures. A big fascination with live rock is watching things pop out of it!

shark32

I wish I had more hitchhikers on my live rock!! I did get a bunch of hitchhikers on my Cheato though. Small serpent stars, small starfish, amiphods, bristleworms and some (unfortunately) flatworms. I still check my live rock hoping to see something!! That's how I found the small Feather Duster! Thanks again and have a good night!!

Uslanja

Hi shark32! Nice finds! Have you taken a look after lights out with a flashlight to see what is in there? One thing you can try is to put a red plastic film (the kind of stuff they wrap fruit baskets and such with) over the flashlight. Basically your making an infrared light. Supposedly some of the tank critters won't shy away from a dim red light but you will still be able to see in there. The life on live rock are our favourite things to watch!

shark32

Hi Uslanja,
I tried a couple of times looking with a flashlight and I startled my serpernt star and I felt bad. I will try it with the red over it. The idea of all the cool little things that go with saltwater was one of the mian reasons that I wanted to go salt!

klok95330

Yeah most of the time these little feather dusters hitch hike on the glass. After a while you will have a bunch :p they filter feed off your water too so that helps. You get good stuff off of properly cared for live lock.

shark32

Thanks klok95330, I hope I spot more of them. They are pretty cool!

JulesVane,
I have been watching your thread on those rotten flatworms. So far I have seen 3 ( a clear one, a larger white one and an green/yellow one) which means there is probably a 100 more (ugh!!). I am like you and do not want to put any chemicals in there. As I spot them, I remove them. Good luck with your tank!! I will be following and hopefully not having to post my own thread about these horrors!

shark32

Hi,
I was checking out my sump and noticed a whole bunch of tiny feather dusters on the glass as well as a bunch of those spirorbid worms. I also found a bunch of these clear guys that stick off of the glass. They are clear and have antennas at the top of them. They look like they collect debris as it floats past them. I took a pic of the biggest one. Any ideas? Thanks!
100_6867.jpg