What is this?

shark32

Reefmack,
They are not copepods. They are stalk like with antennas that look like a slugs antenna. They stick off of the glass like a feather duster does. They look like they have tiny branches of the sides of them. I will search around my tank and sump to see if there are any that are bigger then the one I took a pic of. I took about 10 pictures of it and that was the only one that came out remotely clear. What I need to do is hint at ol' hubby for a new camera for Christmas. LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
maybe Isopod?

Melevsreef.com - Isopod

safe_isopod.jpg

shark32

Thanks Nano,
it doesn't look anythink like that either. I will try to get a better pic! I hope they are good whatever they are.

shark32

I do not know if this is any clearer, but here is another pic. There is about 10 of these in my sump.
100_6869.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It didn't really look like a copepod, even in your first picture, and the second picture confirms it. I have no idea what that thing is, maybe the larval stage of something. Weird. Sometimes I get convinced that we see things in these tanks that no one has ever seen before!

shark32

I could not find anything online that remotely resembles it either. Thanks for all your help though. I will keep an eye on it and see if any of them change. It they do I will post a picture. While trying to get a good pic of one of them, I did come across tiny bristle worms too! Also my apologies for the many questions!! Thanks!!:D

Uslanja

Hi shark32! Keep the questions coming, we're following along and learning! With all of the life that has yet to be discovered in the oceans there is bound to be one or two that pop up in someones aquarium! This is one very cool hobby! Keep the photos coming, we love them!

shark32

Thanks Uslanja!! I love that aspect of this hobby too! All the cool things to be discovered right in your own home! I would love to set up another tank one day and order my live rock from somewhere so I could get all sorts of cool hitchhikers!! :D

shark32

Hi everyone,
O.K. I posted a picture of it in the hitchhiker forum. But I wanted to add, while I was trying to get a better picture of it (with no luck), I was looking at a smaller one that was sticking sideways off of the middle divider and what I thought was antennas in actually a cup. I don't know if that helps any. Thanks again to all who have contributed!!!!:D

shark32

I think I might have found it!! I tried to copy and paste a picture but it wouldn't let me. I think it might be a Scypha sponge. They look a little whiter than whats in my sump, but they are very close looking. Thanks!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Maybe they are just small Scypha. I have a lot of those in my sump, but I only notice the big ones.

shark32

These are by no means big. The biggest one is smaller than the feather duster that's in the picture at the beginning of the post. Drats, I guess it's backing to the drawing board. LOL Thanks!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have some in my sump about 1/2 inch long. Probably tiny ones in there too, but I guess I don't notice them. They have to start out tiny first though. :)

shark32

Just wanted to update on those clear things that are in my sump. First of all they are all over my sump and now in my DT. And they are now a milky white color. Now that some of them are bigger you can see that they are pineapple sponges. My son was looking at the sump last night and he says, 'look at the little spongebob house on the black wall.' I will try to post a picture later today. :D

shark32

Here are the current pics of the then unidentified and now I believe to be pineapple sponges. Thanks to all who helped!!

This pic and the last pic are the same one that I originally posted about.
I guess we now know what a baby pineapple sponge looks like!!
100_7084.jpg

100_7081.jpg

100_7080.jpg

I wish I had more hitchhikers on my live rock!! I did get a bunch of hitchhikers on my Cheato though. Small serpent stars, small starfish, amiphods, bristleworms and some (unfortunately) flatworms. I still check my live rock hoping to see something!! That's how I found the small Feather Duster! Thanks again and have a good night!!

I had the same problem...twice. Red flatworm hitchhikers on my chaeto. I will start quarantining all macros too and treat them with flatworm exit before introducing them to my tank. Will be easie to take care of the problem there as opposed to in my tank.