Warning about hermit crabs

Curehead

I started my reef 2 months ago and started adding stock about a month ago...slowly slowly....

I noticed after 3 weeks i had the cutest hitcher....a baby hermit crab in the tiniest shell..maybe the size of your thumbnail...

he was the most comical chap.... dragging this seeming huge shell around....

he disappeared for the last two weeks..then all of a sudden he is back...he's eaten a cleaner shrimp and killed a tiget conche and is now the proud new owner of a Tiger Conche shell.....it's maybe 20 times the size of the last shell...but he's climbing rock with it....

I watched him spend all day yesterday devouring the conche and I assumed the conche had died already..but now I know what he was up to....the most dangerous things come in the cutest packages...

David Shaw

I have seen dwarf hermits that remain small, but i found even those to be destructive, climbing up everything and having a good chow down on anything they could find.

I am now crab free (no wise ass comments please :) )

Paragon

Crabs eat things. Most are opportunistic feeders. Some of us tolerate it, and others don't. You'll have to figure out which camp you're comfortable in. :laugh: .

Para

JulesVane

I made the mistake, IMO, on adding an Arrow Crab to my reef as I read that it would eat Flatworms. Well, I've watched it eat my blue legged and halloween crabs alright. And, I seem to be missing a Peppermint shrimp. ...Live & Learn! BTW...Hasn't touched a Flatworm!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I think... a gang of crabs ate whit
025.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Haven't seen witfull in about a year. I think he must have left us. :(

Crabs aren't evil - only humans have that capability. :)

GrendelPrime

crabs are the reincarnation of everything evil in the world and we need to band together to send them back to hell where they belong!!!!!! :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
reminds me of the tourist to Alaska that wanted to pet the pretty polar bear & he ate him... the polar bear was just being a wild bear...

when we add crabs to our tanks... we should expect the same.. crabs do according to there nature as the polar bear did his, when they eat your snails and whatever, just add more... if you want to keep them.... imo - a trade off for the fun of watching the crabs... they are good scavangers, just if they can't find enough dead things to eat, they will kill something to be feed like lots of creatures do...

GrendelPrime

some people have hermies that never touch a living thing and other people have hermies that go on kill crazy rampages, i get the same results from snails so ill stick with them