Uploading Photos to RS

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
There are 2 ways to show pictures on this site. One way is to attach the picture in a thread as you are posting a comment. The picture must be really small before attaching it.

The best way is to upload the picture into your gallery. This way you can link the picture to any thread.
1) Resizing your picture down to around 800x600 is best,
2) Click on “Photo Gallery”, “Upload Photos”; you should now be on the ReefSanctuary Photos Image Upload page, choose a category that best describes your picture using the drop down box; Browse to find where the picture is located on your machine then click “upload/submit”,
3) On the next page, enter in a Title, Description, and keyword, then click Submit. The photo is now in your Gallery.

To link the uploaded picture in a thread;
1) Go to your gallery and click on the photo,
2) Right click on the photo and copy the URL,
3) Paste the URL inside these brackets [ IMG]urlgoesinhere[ /IMG] (make sure not to use any spaces).

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Also, when linking to a thread - there is a "UBBCode" in the description of the picture (you know - that box thingy that is right under the picture in the photo gallery...shows who uploaded the photo, the file size, a description of the pic, etc), so all you have to do is copy and paste that to the thread. No need to worry about the img tags.....makes it much easier.

ReefLady

Staff member
Quick note, the per photo size limit is 100KB for registered members (200K for contributing members). Woodstock was referring to the limit on the total size of all files in your gallery.

T

terry

Woodstock said:
There are 2 ways to show pictures on this site. One way is to attach the picture in a thread as you are posting a comment. The picture must be really small before attaching it.

The best way is to upload the picture into your gallery. This way you can link the picture to any thread.
1) Resizing your picture down to around 800x600 is best,
2) Click on “Photo Gallery”, “Upload Photos”; you should now be on the ReefSanctuary Photos Image Upload page, choose a category that best describes your picture using the drop down box; Browse to find where the picture is located on your machine then click “upload/submit”,
3) On the next page, enter in a Title, Description, and keyword, then click Submit. The photo is now in your Gallery.

To link the uploaded picture in a thread;
1) Go to your gallery and click on the photo,
2) Right click on the photo and copy the URL,
3) Paste the URL inside these brackets [ IMG]urlgoesinhere[ /IMG] (make sure not to use any spaces).

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How do you resize the photo? My photo is 1200x900.

I sort of do it the EASY way..

Open up the photo in MS Paint (Under accessories) and click on Image > Sretech/Skew. Then in the first two boxes put a percentage of the original. It's trial and error but I have learned that with my MACRO shots (they come out around 1000 x 1000 ) I have to put 20 in both boxes. Hit OK and the image will shrink. Hit SAVE and re-check the image size. The first time it's not to "simple" but after that it's a walk in the park.

lcstorc

Giving this thread a bump and a summary.
There are 3 ways to get pictures in a thread on RS.
The first is to simply attach the pic to the post by going to the go advanced screen and manage attachments. This is very size limited I believe 50k though a mod can correct me if it is a different number.
Second you can load your pic into your gallery and link to it in the post. Go to photo gallery and upload photos to do this. There are still file size limits but these pics are in your gallery on RS and people can share your reef by browsing through various categories. I believe the limit is 1k for regular members and 3k for premium members.
Once the photo is in the gallery then you scroll down can copy the ubb code to your clipboard. Then go to your post and paste. The pic will appear in the thread.
The third way is to actually load the photo on a photo hosting website. Photobucket seems to be most used but there are many options. They all have their own limits etc. Once you have your photo loaded you should have access to the UBB code there. Again copy and paste into the thread. If you copy the html code you will display a link.

Hope this was helpful. I could be completely wrong on the size limits. The Premium Membership screen shows the limits for premium members.

brandon

hi im having trouble using irfanview. Im resizing the pic to 800x600 and thats fine but when i save it, the image changes to a bitmap format and i cant load my pics on here. Can anyone tell me how to change it back to a jpeg format?

vdituri

Brandon,
You should be able to open the picture again and then click

File
then Save As
There is a line that says "Save As Type" you can click on the pull down menu and chose JPG format.

devious

Can anyone suggest the best camera for shooting my tank I have 2-250 watt 20,000k metal halide and the color seems too wash out in pictures.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome ReefMack! It's good to see fellow NCer's on the boards!

Yes PB links are allowed and exactly how I do my images here :)

Again welcome and tell us about yourself :)

Hey doni, Thanks. Here is my 10 gallon. don't have pics of the 40 yet but here is my simple 10 I decided to start for my son. Please let me know what you think. I will be adding more live rock, coral and fish soon.

DSCF8314.JPG

bbe22

How do you link multiple images together in a single post?

If you use photobucket or a similar sight, you can just post one image using the "insert image" button then linking the correct http, hit return, then do it again. If you want, you can add text or a space by hitting return a second time in between the images.

If you aren't familiar with photobucket, once you upload pictures, hit "share" above the image, then hit "get link codes", then copy the one that says "Direct link for layout pages" and paste it into the "insert image" icon in the forum message.

Didn't mean to elaborate, and hope it helps.

Last edited: