Tok's RSM 250

Tokalosh

Wow great to see ya back here with those wonderful photos. What shutter speed did you use? Those shots are awesome!

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Thanks GTBlacklce, I'm currently using the following setup....

Very clean glass, inside and out.
Canon D400
Canon EFS 18-55mm lens
Close up +4 filter

So the above pictures were shot with theses settings.
ISO: 1600, 55mm, f5.6, 1/125 sec.

Oh and LOTS of patience..

Tok

Last edited:
Thanks GTBlacklce, I'm currently using the following setup....

Very clean glass, inside and out.
Canon D400
Canon EFS 18-55mm lens
Close up +4 filter

So the above pictures were shot with theses settings.
ISO: 1600, 55mm, f6.6, 1/125 sec.

Oh and LOTS of patience..

Tok

Thanks for the info, Dario!

Magnificent shots of the fishes indeed. Thought of getting closeup filter but never got my hands on it. I've got Sony a6000 with the kit lens of 16-50mm and 55-210mm...will give it a shot in future without any closeup filter. [emoji12]

I'm very sure you were very patient... To get those nice shots at only 1/125 sec for a moving fish..... Man I just wonder how many shots you've tried and the amount of time spent just to get those few nice shots... You have my respect!!! [emoji6] [emoji106]

Cheers!
-Gary

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Gary, if I were shooting film I think I would be very bankrupt by now.
An't digital a wonderful thing?
LMAO!!! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I totally agree!!! Digital cam is the best thing that could happen with photography lol! Oh not forgetting to mention image editing softwares too [emoji6]

I could somewhat feel how it must've felt then for you... As I tried taking shots of my borraras brigittae in my previous fw tank... And without closeup filter... It was a nightmare as those lovely fishes were to tiny... [emoji28]

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Tokalosh

Well after a BIG tank crash and many months of going round in circles I finally found the culprit....

Who would have guessed that this sort of thing could wipe out what was once a great looking tank!!

Believe it or not, the skimmer was still working like a charm and has never given me any trouble at all, not even noise issues. On the other hand I'm a little disappointed that this has failed, all the other pumps are doing great and have never given me any problems.

Tok

modulok

What happened to your tank? I had the same thing happen to my second impeller. But mine had trouble starting and had rubbed a lot on the pump. Upgraded to reef octopus and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Danreef

Well after a BIG tank crash and many months of going round in circles I finally found the culprit....

Who would have guessed that this sort of thing could wipe out what was once a great looking tank!!

Believe it or not, the skimmer was still working like a charm and has never given me any trouble at all, not even noise issues. On the other hand I'm a little disappointed that this has failed, all the other pumps are doing great and have never given me any problems.

Tok

Unfortunately you haven't seen my thread about this issue in 2014. I had the original and 3 more pumps sent by RED SEA for free, under warranty, with exactly the same problem. Not one, total 4.

Finally Red Sea sent me just the impeler. The new impeler was white. I also bought from my side a new pump and it came with a new white impeler.

After all these "impeller broken pumps" they sent me, the representative told me they will be having a conversation with Sice.

Fortunately the new "white" impeller have been working as a charm. I do have also the pump I bought (that also has a new white impeler) as backup.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

Danreef

I will add that my impeller due to the rust of the Crack increased its volume and the pump stop working. I discovered it in that way.

I also have to say that my SPS were NOT affected by the rusted impeller.

Tokalosh

Thanks for the info Danreef, as you can see from the picture of the impeller below, my SPS's had no chance against that much copper. I do think it's a good skimmer and up until now has not let me down. My main concern now is that my spare impeller which is also the black type is not going to last that long either. More unnecessary stress as to when it will fail is something I could do without.

I think it's time to ask Red Sea a few questions.

Tok

Adrienne

My skimmer pump which I have just had replaced as it originally failed while less than 12 months old never had issues with the impeller (thanks to Danreef I knew to keep checking it) and now I see why. My one is white :)

Tokalosh

As far as I know, to protect the magnet from corrosion and to strengthen the brittle magnet material, it is usually preferable for the magnet to be coated. There are a variety of options for coatings, but nickel is the most common and usually preferred. Nickel plated magnets are actually triple plated with layers of nickel, copper, and nickel again. This triple coating makes magnets much more durable than the more common single nickel plated magnets. Some other options for coating are zinc, tin, copper, epoxy, silver and gold. Gold plated magnets are actually quadruple plated with nickel, copper, nickel and a top coating of gold.

@RedSeaKev Kev would you be able to confirm this?

Tok

Oxylebius

I will add that my impeller due to the rust of the Crack increased its volume and the pump stop working. I discovered it in that way.

I also have to say that my SPS were NOT affected by the rusted impeller.

Dan, you did have trouble with your sps, tank crash, was this issue not due to your impeller issue?

Danreef

Dan, you did have trouble with your sps, tank crash, was this issue not due to your impeller issue?

No... the impeller broke within the first 2-3 months of the tank being setup. Read the posted link.

My crash was for nutrient excess and a bad use of techniques to reduce it (i.e.NOPOX).

Cheers
Daniel

Oxy. ...I open my post to Kev. I wrote it on July 20 and the tank was setup in May of the year. The Crack was there from the start but took 2 months to the rust to increase the impeller diameter to stop the pump. You can see pictures in that posting.

My crash / tank issues started after I got the TOTM that was in October.

Due to all that I do not believe at all there was a connection with the impeller issue. It was the hight nutrients and my ignorance and mistakes to reduce it.

Well.... that is what I think !!!

Last edited:

Tokalosh

Tank Crash Update

Well its been an ongoing battle ever since my tank took a nose dive towards the Marina Trench. It's hard on one’s self to see what was an award winning display now looking like the Ganges.

Still I Rise….. I’ll have my tank looking better than before in no time. It’s hard but I have to keep reminding myself that nothing in this hobby happens fast and that what worked for me in the past must still work for me now.

Maintenance is key, especially now more than ever after finding that skimmer impeller cracked. Now I keep everything in tip top shape all the time. You will be surprised at how fast things get covered in slime and all sorts of unwanted debris.

I’m currently fighting a plethora of various algae so much so that my tank sometimes gets mistaken for a side salad. Keeping on top of the water parameters has been tough especially when your clean up crew keep dying off. The only critter that seems to be pulling its weight is my sea urchin, who is constantly munching on the salad.

My water parameters from today's readings are as follows:

PO4: 0.12
Mg: 1600
KH:7
Ca: 500
NH3: 0
NO3: 0
PH 8.3
Temp: 26 deg C

Not happy with the Mg and Ca, but I’m sure this will sort itself out after a couple more water changes.

The fish are all doing well but I can’t say the same for my mollusks, as they keep departing their shells involuntarily. Last night I caught a bristle worm making a break from the side salad, great catch and never to be returned to my tank.

Picture of the side salad to follow.

Thanks Tok