Tok's RSM 250

Fshlvr

I read this thread with fascination, then I found out there is a rsm 250 owners club and I joined right away. Tok, I'd like to say thank you for this thread, it has inspired me and frightened me all at the same time.

My rsm has been cycling for about 4 days, and after hearing your tank cracked TWICE I'm freaking out a little :/ Once I figure out how forums work, I'll be posting some pics. I feel like I have soooo many questions for you!

First, have you done all your upgrades to your tank because of personal preference, or are they very necessary? I just purchased a chiller today, it'll be arriving fri or sat, but other than that, should I start looking for upgrades already?

Second, I currently have a simple 30g fowlr tank that I've been running for 2 years, the new rsm is cycling with 30 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand. I plan to use the rest of the rock from the established tank and some sand. Is this a good idea? Also, do I need to do anything to these rocks before I put them in the new tank?

Third, the pump on the left seems really strong for me. I understand corals need this current, but since I'm not used to it, it seems like the water moves a little crazy. Is this something I'll get used to? Will my fish hate it? (they havent had this amount of current for 2 years)

I'm sure I have more questions, and I'll be reading the other threads, but I wanted to introduce myself and I am way too excited after reading this thread.

Thanks in advance and thank u again tok for sharing such amazing pics, I hope my rsm will look a little like yours someday :)

Tokalosh

Fshlvr, thank you for reading my thread and a BIG welcome to RS.

I hope I have not scared you off in owning a RSM250, I do not know what the causes of the cracks were and I’ll probably never will. My 3rd tank has passed the critical time line from when the other two cracked and touch wood is doing well.

Let’s pray it stays that way!

At this point I’d like to give credit where credit is due and give a BIG thumbs up to Red Sea for sorting out both my cracked tanks quickly and professionally. Thanks Guy’s!
I would not freak out too much, just make sure your tank is level and has been installed correctly i.e very flat surface. These tanks are great and can last year if looked after correctly.

Good to hear that you RSM is in the cycling stage, don’t rush it take it slow and you will be rewarded at the end of it all. The rest of the rock from your FOWLR tank I’d move over as soon as you can. Adding this at a later date may cause another mini cycle. As for preparing the rocks for the RSM I’d just give them a good rinse in some freshly mixed water and put them in the RSM.

The pumps on the RSM are great and I have not upgraded them. The one on the left is a lot stronger than the right and needs to be to maintain good circulation in the tank. Fish love current and lots of it, this helps keep all loose debris for settling at the bottom and prevents dead spots which are not great. It also keeps you fish fit and healthy.

I have made a little adjustment to the left outlet and will be more than happy to post pictures of the mode I’ve made latter. I did this because I have installed two MP10’s and found that the left outlet was interfering with the flow of the MP10’s. The right hand outlet I made a little bigger and connected the right had pump to my chiller. This is one piece of equipment I could not live without and has been a god sent to my tank.

It’s good to have you on board and we will all look forward to seeing your build.

All the best

Tok

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Fshlvr,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Great advise above from Dario !

Go to the top of the forum Red Sea Max Owners Club
Click on +Post New Thread and start a tank thread, share your tank with us & ask any questions you have, the great members of RS will help you have success :dance: With a new thread, many members will feel free to help without asking & answering to many questions in Tok's tank thread - Cheers Mate :clink:

To find your post (if you are new to forums) click on your screenname, then click on View Forum Post - hope this helps
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

Fshlvr

Thanks Tok and Glenn. I've read both your threads and I will be starting my own soon and will have lots of other questions. Thank you for welcoming me, and for your help. I feel so glad that I found this forum.

Keep a look out for my thread coming this weekend!

Jose.

Tokalosh

:pBJ::woohoo::pBJ:

It's arrived!!!

Very well made Steve, well done!

Now I'd like to know what the best set up is going to be, keeping in mind I do intend to run chaeto in one of the compartments.

Thanks

Tok

Norm

:pBJ::woohoo::pBJ:

It's arrived!!!

Very well made Steve, well done!

Now I'd like to know what the best set up is going to be, keeping in mind I do intend to run chaeto in one of the compartments.

Thanks

Tok

Lol, congrats man. Get it wet already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjs1981

Hey Tok

in my media rack i use chemi-pure at the bottom then purigen middle chamber then i use cheato in top chamber with nanoglo light and fine filter wool

Tokalosh

Hey Tok

in my media rack i use chemi-pure at the bottom then purigen middle chamber then i use cheato in top chamber with nanoglo light and fine filter wool

I'll give this set up a go and see how it goes. What is you light period for the cheato?

Thanks

Tok

Tokalosh

Tonight I fed the zoo and decided to take a few snaps of my shrooms feeding.....

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

I also took a snap of my right return nozzle for Jose....

IMG_3977.jpg

Tok

mjs1981

Hey ToK

Basically my light with the cheato does the opposite cycle to my tanks main lights
My tanks main lights run from 11am til 8pm then the nano glo light on the cheato comes on and runs from 8pm til 11am
I have been running this cycle a fair few weeks now an I have seen quite a growth fro the cheato