Tok's RSM 250

Tokalosh

Hey Reefmack thanks for checking it out, this nanny nation of ours is starting to pee me right off. I spoke to our vet and they have turned me down, I then spoke to my LFS and all he can offer me is Oodidex from Esha. This is not ideal as it is one of those universal miracle cure additives. No go with the online UK LFS either.

I'm set up with paypal do you think you could source it for me and I'll square you up?

Thanks

Tok

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
To be honest I'd be afraid I'd get in trouble with the customs people in trying to get around shipping a restricted substance in the UK. With this kind of thing there's usually extra paperwork involved. Have you tried to see if any of the US online LFS would ship to the UK?

I did find this comment on a UK forum:

"In the UK you can only get met through a vet, however, octozin is a 'safe' form of the drug that is readily available. Met can be purchased on-line from some of the american websites tho', never had any trouble getting it that way. "

Appears to be a freshwater forum....

http://www.svas.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3388.0

Tokalosh

Hey Reefmack

Never guess what, the other half just handed me a box of 400mg Metronidazole tablets, she got prescribed for toothache.

Trouble is I have no idea how to break it down for dosing, any suggestions??

If you know of anyone that has got the product, it would be great if I could get a copy of the information leaflet that comes with.

Any help greatly appreciated

Tok

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - that was luck! No idea on the dosing - maybe a post in the fish disease section (post 17) would get you an answer, but I don't know how quickly. I doubt that the info. that originally came with the med would apply in aquarium usage.

It's an antibiotic - will you be treating in a QT tank? If you treat in the main tank you'll probably kill off all of your good bacteria.

Tokalosh

You right Reefmack I will keep that in mind. I do think that Blue Tangs are the biggest drama queens I've seen when it comes to fish. My better half was scrutinizing the poor guy last night and what I thought looked like white spot was small bubbles and sand. I'll keep a close eye on him over the next few days.

I love this pic I took in Oz at Sydney’s Aquarium

IMG_0877.jpg

The rest you can all see here.....

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/off-topic/69486-toks-trip-sydneys-aquarium.html

Tok

Tokalosh

After feeding my fish garlic dosed food over the last 3 days, the dreaded white spot has refused to die. :mad:

I have no alternative but to dose with Oodinex and hope for the best.
Although I've managed to obtain some Metronidazole (although it being the human equivalent) I do not know how much I should dose the tank.

I've done some reading on Oodidnex (which is suposed to be reef safe) and have read a lot of contradicting reviews, I'll give it a go and dose correctly and let you all know what the outcome is.

Wish me luck.... :thumbup:

Tok

RSM250PEARL

Good luck Tok! I've used that stuff before in a different tank. I had a yellow tang and a regal tang with whitespot, treated as directed and got rid of the ich. Saved both fish and nothing else was affected. Mind you I only had leather corals in that tank and some shrimps as well as some CUC. You're bound to come across mixed reviews tho. I'm not sure if I'd risk it now with the more delicate stony corals I keep.

Tokalosh

White Spot Update:

Yesterday I did the first dose of Oodenix all 59 drops of it. I removed all carbon and RowaPhose as well and very reluctantly turned off the skimmer.

This morning the spots on my Blue Tang had subsided and he looked a lot better, none of the fish were trying to rub against the rocks. Apart from my dot dash who seems to be gasping. I'll have to keep a close eye on this little guy.

All my corals look fine and none of them were throwing a strop.

I then did the second dose of 29 drops and all is looking good for now. My better half says that the tank looks like something from out of the Matrix, as it's all green. :yup:

I'll give you all another update tomorrow.....

Tok

Tokalosh

White Spot Update:

After getting home last night I noticed that my Blue Tang looked a lot happier, but I did notice a small increase of white spots on his body.

It's now day three of running the course of Oodenix.

This morning I woke up to find My Blue Tang with what looks like small tiny little worms protruding out of his skin. Although the fish seemed unperturbed about his predicament he is still eating like a pig. I did the final dose of Oodenix all 29 drops and all I can do is hope for the best.

If I do have to run a second course of this medication could someone please tell how long I should wait before running the second course?

Thanks

Tok

Tokalosh

White Spot Update:

Yesterday when I got home from work I noticed no drastic changes to my Blue Tang.

That evening I threw the rule book out the window and dosed the tank again before I went to bed 34 drops of Oodenix. I awoke to a Blue Tang that looks like a pin cushion. All I could see was about four white spots on him and loads of little holes of where the parasite had exited his body. I did not dose the tank today and will have to see if there is any improvement when I get home.

Just to let you all know that the skimmer has not been running for 5 days now and the rest of the fish do not have any white spot and all my corals are still looking good.

Is the Oodenix working, well only time will tell?

I’m not giving up just yet.

Tok