ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

steveh

re: ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

There's nothing wrong with the cycling going on. My LR was FILTHY. Completely uncured so took a while to sort it out.Personally I would try to keep the Alk a little higher (around 3.5-4 MEq/L) and I was dosing Coral Buff daily. It helps with the coralline algae. However it's not critical. Your RSM is lookin' good!

ToeSloth

There's nothing wrong with the cycling going on. My LR was FILTHY. Completely uncured so took a while to sort it out.Personally I would try to keep the Alk a little higher (around 3.5-4 MEq/L) and I was dosing Coral Buff daily. It helps with the coralline algae. However it's not critical. Your RSM is lookin' good!

Thanks Steve! My rock was fairly clean and had been in the LFS for 3-4 weeks before I picked up my pieces!

Good suggestion on the Alk levels - so the Coral Buff boosts this? I didn't really look at the bottle because I was going by the recommendations in the booklet fo the cycle and I believed that the Coral Buff was needed more when you need to worry about the levels when approaching adding corals to the tank.

I'm going to the store tonight to pickup some CuC but not to many since I don't have a lot of algae.

best,

Chris

ToeSloth

Caps won in a SO after a 1-1 game! Tough game though.

Got a bunch of snails and crabs last night. Damn they were busy! Emerald's having a field day in the tank. Brown algae kicking in and they just ate it up. I didn't get a chance to look at the tank this morning due to Dr appt. I will be testing tonight to keep an eye on the first small bio load.

Best

Chris

ToeSloth

Been a few days so I thought I would post some pictures. I also added a fish this last week on Wednesday. Looking good so far. CuC is all doing really well. First thing to get green hair algae is my snails shell!

Emerald in the LR
DSC00652.jpg

Up close of the Blue Green Chromis - Kids named him Gluby (Because fish go Glub Glub)
DSC00653.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

Should I scrap the snail eggs off the back wall? I also notices some bright orange on them and the snail laying them. Weird to me.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Best,

Chris

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Looking good! I like "Gluby" too :) Do what you want with the snail eggs. I get them on all sides and scrape them off. They won't really harm anything.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

This is a first - me and redseareef agreed on something! :spinner: :dance: :wave: :yup: :thumbup:

ToeSloth

I value both opinions greatly but we aren't talking skimmers here thank goodness, so we should be good for the time being! :)

Thanks for the snail advice, gonna scrape them off. Going to do a water change tomorrow as well. Have a good day everyone!

Best,

Chris

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Lookin great Chris! RM will always steer you in the right direction. He's a true reef-a-holic like the rest of us!!! I can vouch for him:thumbup:

redseareef

RS Sponsor

I once had a fish like Gluby a long time ago. That guy was tuff as nails! HE had been through alot and one time jumped out of the tank. When I found him he was beat up bad.................almost dead.
He recovered but looked bad for a while! Realy bad. Messed up eye, bacterial infection, looked ruff.
You ever hear about the missing dog? You know, missing ear, gimpy leg, one testicle, blind in one eye...............goes by the name "lucky" well that was this fish.
He completely healed up and then just disappeared one day???? I figured he probably jumped out and the dog walked by and ate him.................LOL
We had a weenie dog at the time with a bottomless pit for a stomach.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Lookin great Chris! RM will always steer you in the right direction. He's a true reef-a-holic like the rest of us!!! I can vouch for him:thumbup:

Now stop buttering me up RSR, just so you can beat me down again! :)

ToeSloth

I wanted to pass along real quick that I lost my fish through a mistake when cleaning the tank. My kid turned of the heater by accident and didn't turn it on when we turned the pumps and the skimmer back on. When I went down this morning the temp was 74.3 F. Everything else is fine. My son was really upset thought, but it was good time to learn a lesson.

Numbers from my tests today were really good, so I believe that's all it was.

Best to all!

Chris

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Don't feel bad - I've done the same thing and it was off for 3 days till I realized it. But, it was summer and the house was warm enough to prevent any problem. Things happen.

ToeSloth

RM and Rue, Thanks to you both! I did a water change and all tests right before check normal, so I'm going with the temp drop for now.

Tank looks great and I did get the Hydor Flo on circulation pump 2, I have pictures I will post later, as I think I did it different and want to get opinions.

May try and brave out later towards DC to get me my replacement fish..we will see what traffic looks like. I have never seen so many people on the Mall in my life!

Best to all!

Chris

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Not a good day to be going towards DC - there must be a huge amount of inauguration traffic today!

Had 4" of snow here last night, and still only 25 out. Not a typical "sunny south" type of day. These southern cities just don't know how to handle caring for roads under these conditions. Pretty slippery driving. Still only 25 at 11:30, and 15 tonight.

ToeSloth

RM - Being that this town is so transient people have to learn every year how to drive in snow in DC.

So I replaced the Damsel with the same and added two red leg crabs, although one looks albino.

Here is the shot the Hydor Flo. I know RM said he took a screwdriver to and made the opening wider to fit over the pump nozzle, I'm sure that gives more control for sure for direction. I just found the one that fit right on the threaded end of the pump and so far so good.
DSC00676.jpg

Carbon replacement question? What do you all use for replacement, buy and make your own bags or off the shelf bags like the 110 size I saw today at the LFS or purchase the same one that came with the tank from somewhere....

Best,

Chris

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

That's the alternate way of mounting the Hydor Flo and is probably the best secured that way. I wanted to be able to adjust the direction of the flow, so I fiddled with one of the adapters till I got it to go on the existing powerhead fitting. However, it can fall off fairly easily with my method if I bump against it with my hand in the tank. You'll probably eventually see one of your snails getting a free ride on the turning Hydor Flo - how they manage to crawl on and off a rotating object is amazing.

On the carbon and other similar media I just buy my own bags and fill them, and refill and reuse the same bag several times. I often make a mix of carbon and Phosguard. SeaChem sells a product called SeaGel which is the same thing. Cheaper to mix it myself! I've bagged my own purigen also.

ToeSloth

Numbers after the water change today, I have noted on the last two water changes that the skimmer goes nuts right after and requires adjusting or the thing would just full of water in no time, this really seems interesting to me as any other day and it really doesn't do too much, but it early in the tanks maturity.

Temp 78.3
SG 1.027 (this is a little high?)
NH3 >0 but not by much though
No2 0.05
CA 450
Alk 3.0
Ph 8.5

Baby blue leg hermits??? I only bought 5 and I have an extra sitting at the bottom with no shell - the other 5 are accounted for. I thought I had lost one last week but he is actually here today, unless I lost one and another baby took his place as well!...Talk about a shell game.

I mean hell I have one with a redish shell and I didn't even buy one with a redish shell, must have been in the LR or the sand when I did the setup.

I also added a clownfish Friday night, all things look good.

Hope everyone has a fine week!

Best,

Chris

While typing this my little emerald ate the baby blue leg crab! :surrender: