ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
re: ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

Hi ToeSloth - I'll see if this works - I copied the url for a direct link to your picture:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ImTny_j4wIo/SVZ4Ww0kcvI/AAAAAAAAAnE/6WxGOVZg2es/DSC00627.JPG

And then I clicked on the yellow "Insert Image" icon above the text area, and pasted in the http:...... code above. I see that this automatically puts the
codes in at the beginning and end of the link:

DSC00627.JPG

Yes - it was the pump I saw in the tank that I wasn't quite sure what it was - duh on me!

MatthewJ - does your refractometer have automatic temperature compensation? Most of them seem to. I have a refractometer calibration solution, but I only check calibration maybe once a month. I just put a couple drops of my mixed SW on the glass, close the little flap, and let it sit for a few seconds before reading it. I don't think they need to be recalibrated before every use, but maybe I'm wrong. Since I make up my salt at the same temp. every time, and then reheat it, agitate, areate, and retest again when I use it a week later I'm hoping that since I always test at the same temperature that the reading is accurate. The week apart readings always test the same. Maybe I'm falsely assuming I don't need to recalibrate each time. Now I'm wondering.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

What's also weird is that once I go to the direct image link, then your post shows that picture as it should, but the images prior to that are still red X's. I give up LOL! :)

ToeSloth

I had the same problem. It was usually caused by air bubbles on the needle. Usually tapping the hydrometer bottom on something a few times would fix. I would usually test multiple times until I got the same reading a few times in a row.

FWIW, I have a heck of a time with the refractometer too. I have to reset mine every single time with RO water at the same temp as the water I'm testing. It can be off drastically otherwise.

I stopped all the pumps and the skimmer and tested again and again and again this time really tapping on it, I got a fairly accurate reading of 1.022.

The not so funny thing about this is how I lowered the S.G. yesterday because I thought I had put too much salt in and all this time its the micro bubbles causing the elevated reading!

So now on to getting rid of the micro bubbles. I know I have read the thread on them but without a tank it went right over my head as I'm really visual with my analyis.

I have tried a few things like moving the skimmer box adjusting the air flow and recycling the powerheads and skimmer in a few different orders. I also orginally didn't have the black media pushed down all the way and didn't have the cutout in the right place.

Some of these changes helped but never enough to get rid of them.

It's pretty steady and not even close to were they should be obviously from what FTS I have seen.

Thanks to all!

Chris

Sorry about the broken picture links!

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hi. I think you have no rock in the tank yet? You really have nothing to skim, so the skimmer will be expected to pour out a lot of bubbles - no way around that, and nothing to be concerned about at this point. You could probably shut the skimmer off for now, and restart it a day or two after the rock goes in. You might find it helpful to check out the stickied post on microbubbles in the RSM - most of it was based on the older 130 model, but some of it would apply to the 130D as well.

ToeSloth

Hi. I think you have no rock in the tank yet? You really have nothing to skim, so the skimmer will be expected to pour out a lot of bubbles - no way around that, and nothing to be concerned about at this point. You could probably shut the skimmer off for now, and restart it a day or two after the rock goes in. You might find it helpful to check out the stickied post on microbubbles in the RSM - most of it was based on the older 130 model, but some of it would apply to the 130D as well.

Yeah...I went back and read that post right after I posted...I feel much better now....

Thanks for that excellent post...you know it only applies when it is happening to me! :)

So more salt to raise it to 1.026 then I should be set.

Thanks a ton!

Chris

MatthewJ

Maybe I'm falsely assuming I don't need to recalibrate each time. Now I'm wondering.

I've seen pictures of your tank, somehow I doubt you're having this problem:)

My refractometer is supposed to have ATC, but it appears there are limits. My tank is in my basement, and my refractometer apparently gets really cold. I can test some water, warm up the refractometer and retest the same water...and the reading will be vastly different. Here's my previous thread about it:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/39291-struggling-refractometer.html

I've solved it by keeping a ziplock back of RO/DI water in the back chamber of my tank. I use that to calibrate to zero before testing the tank and/or replacement salt water. I typically only test once a week at water change time anyway, so it's not too bad.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

ToeSloth - I ran at 1.023 for a couple months & shoot for 1.025 now. All kinds of opionions on the best salinity! :)

MatthewJ - I can see where having a cold refractometer might skew the results. I think there's a little strip of metal in the instrument that is affected by the temperature and somehow adjusts the instrument to account for the temperature (don't ask me how). Maybe your method is best if the instrument gets that cold. Unless you keep the refractometer upstairs and just bring it down when you'll use it. Wish I had a basement! If everything does well in the tank that will be what matters the most.

ToeSloth

Thought I would start with the picture of the snapping turtle LR.

DSC00629.jpg

So I have been busy today, I added the reef base and LR (28lbs).

I have the following parameters from my test this morning before I added the base and the LR.

Salt - 1.022
Temp - 79
Ph - 8.4
Alk - 2.8
Ca - 450

I added the cycle accelerator that Red Sea sent as well after adding the LR.

DSC00630.jpg

Mavjoy

toesloth- my salinity with a refractometer is 1.026 or 35.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

That rock sure does look like the head of a big snapper! Really eerie looking in the cloudy water. The tank is now coming to life!

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Chris,
Lookin good man! You need to glue some old shark teeth in that mouth and scare the kids away!!! You dont want them messing with the new tank!!!LOL

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Chris, now the more water changes you do the faster it will cycle. Also, more life will be saved on and in the rock as well! Every water change you do will knock down ammonia levels!
Do water changes, keep the skimme running optimum and change your carbon after about 2 weeks with fresh carbon.
I bet in about 3 weeks the tank will be cycled and ready to go!

ToeSloth

Chris, now the more water changes you do the faster it will cycle. Also, more life will be saved on and in the rock as well! Every water change you do will knock down ammonia levels!
Do water changes, keep the skimme running optimum and change your carbon after about 2 weeks with fresh carbon.
I bet in about 3 weeks the tank will be cycled and ready to go!

I will do! What is the thing about starting with low light time (like 6 hours to start) and then increasing up to 12-14 hours I can't seem to remember where I read that?

Best,

Chris

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Chris,
Yea, run the light a few hours a day at the most until the tank cycles. Then get you rclean up crew and go full bore on the lighting!
Should look great once the water starts to clear! Nice job!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

It's usually with metal halides that you start out a couple hours a day and gradually work your way up, so as not to shock the corals. It was recommended to me by several folks to limit the RSM lights to 6 hours per day at the beginning, to keep the brown diatom bloom that you'll soon get to a minimum. As with green algae, the diatom feed on light. Diatom also feed on silica, which you'll have at higher levels with all new saltwater (they come in with the salt mix). When the diatom shows up on the rock & substrate, you'll see that it gets worse the longer the lights are on, and is practically gone in the morning after the lights have been off all night. Till you get corals light isn't that important, and the longer the lights are on the more algae growth of all kinds you'll get.

ToeSloth

OK - clear picture with the readings for day two...

Temp 79
SG 1.022
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 20 ppm
Nitrite - >1

I cleaned the skimmer, black sponge and added some Salt Water to tap off since I'm trying to raise the S.G.

DSC00631.jpg

Now for the three for after I changed the LR layout.

First the front
DSC00632.jpg

LR Left Side
DSC00633.jpg

LR Right Side
DSC00634.jpg

Good until tomorrow unless there is something else...:look:

Best,

Chris

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Awwwww. You moved the snapping turtle. Oh well, he didn't look so menacing in clear water anyway. :)

ToeSloth

I didn't even realize that channel went through from side to side. Can't wait to get clear shots tomorrow of the tank.

MatthewJ

I can't figure out what is going on then with the pictures...I did why BigAl told me and I had the one at the top of the third page working then bam red X. I see the one I just posted fine...I did it the same way so I'm not sure what is going on. I copy the URL from picaso by right clicking the image and then put
brackets around it.

ToeSloth, see if this helps:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reefsanctuary-tips-tricks/40936-linking-picasa-web-album-images.html

Last edited: