ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
re: ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

I didn't put the electrical panel in until had in that spot so I believe I'm good on that one. I just need to make sure I can get to the bottom in back chambers...right?

Chris

Yep - that too. But an infrequent moving of the couch will hopefully be no big deal. Also, if the tank isn't on a ground fault circuit it's really a good idea (or necessity really) to get a plug in GFCI if nothing else - you don't want to take any chances on getting an electrical shock, or worse, when you stick an arm in the tank.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Chris,
One note to consider: A great way to keep track of accumulating detrius in the back chambers is to remove the electrical box panel. IT give you a great view directly underneath the skimmer!!!! It really makes it a piece of cake to check on it!
So, I would move it to a more easily accessable area IF YOU CAN! Also, with Lil' Chris junior there a GFI is paramount in my opinion. If he starts venturing into the tank or equipment on his own you want everything working in your favor until you arrive to get him out of there.
Lookin great so far Chris!!! Keep posting more pictures!
Thanks!

ToeSloth

DSC00607.JPG

I moved the tank over a few more inches and I can now get my head back in there when I move the chair out of the way. This will allow me to see below the skimmer as instructed by many that walk before me! :)

The pumps that were missing from my shipment are on the way UPS ground... ;( and will be here Monday supposedly. I will be getting some live rock in the mean time and start letting them cure and be ready to go shortly after Christmas as the wife doesn't want a cloudy tank in the background during dinner!

Chris

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Chris, looking good dude. Thank you for your patience on the pumps! You will be ready to roll when they get there. Practice with those test kits on some new seawater. Get familiar with them!

ToeSloth

Oh Man I'm sore....between cleaning out the "man cave" in prep to move the tank then carrying it down a good flight of stairs I'm wiped!

Pump came today as well! So I was able to setup the whole thing up finally.

You know those little white pins for the hood...my oldest managed to lose one for about 15 minutes until I found it stuck in my desk chair neck at the base of the chair. That was lucky!

Pictures tomorrow of the new setup in the "man cave".

It looks good and I have a ton of room now to work on the tank and get as messy as I want!

I got a RO/DI unit as well and spent time setting it up and start making some water. This is new to me as 20 years ago I just didn't do it or no one ever told me I should....maybe that was one of my problems....:)

Have a good night everyone!

redseareef

RS Sponsor

LOL! Sounds like you got it done! I bet you are sleeping like a baby now! Lets see some pics soon!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Great to hear the pumps came. The "man cave"? Did you decide to relocate the tank? good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

ToeSloth

Another Holiday party down...

Here are the pictures I promised. Must not be a cave after all, as it's way to bright in there!

DSC00612.JPG

DSC00613.JPG

DSC00614.JPG

Half way through making the water - should have it running tomorrow, just in time for Santa to see! :)

Best to all!

Chris

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Nice man cave LOL! The tank sure has good access to it now. Hopefully the family is allowed free access to the man cave to view it.

Hope you got the tank filled by now.

Have a good Christmas Eve!

ToeSloth

72h-lisCdmKJZNEX1yODYw

Finished adding the water after everyone left last night from our family get together. I let the tank run overnight and plan on adding the salt this morning.

I'm having a time trying to figure lbs. to cups...I really need some coffee! or someone to point me to a good reference chart...

Can I get liverock tomorrow or Sunday if I get this thing settled for 24 hrs. or do I need to wait longer?

Hope everyone that celebrates Christmas has a good day yesterday!

Best,

Chris

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Good to hear of some progress! On the salt I usually use about 1/2 cup per gallon as a general rule, but add the last amounts a bit at a time and measure after each add, and after it's dissolved. If you overshoot the salinity it's a PITA to have to siphon water and replace with water to get it down. If adding to the tank do it before the substrate goes in - get the water heated and the circ. pumps running and add it slowly rather than just dumping a lot of salt in at a time. Add a bit, let it dissolve, and add a bit more, etc. You may end up with some insoluble precipitate on the bottom that doesn't dissolve, but I believe that's normal. JMO, but I'd wait till Sunday for the rock.

Yep - we had a good Christmas day thank you!

Terry

ToeSloth

Excellent advice!

I got some salt in now and I will see how much I need to adjust up, probably about another 4 cups from your measurement, I just wanted to get close without having to keep doing it over and over.

I think I will start washing the substrate soon too and wait until Sunday for the live rock!

Chris

Good to hear of some progress! On the salt I usually use about 1/2 cup per gallon as a general rule, but add the last amounts a bit at a time and measure after each add, and after it's dissolved. If you overshoot the salinity it's a PITA to have to siphon water and replace with water to get it down. If adding to the tank do it before the substrate goes in - get the water heated and the circ. pumps running and add it slowly rather than just dumping a lot of salt in at a time. Add a bit, let it dissolve, and add a bit more, etc. You may end up with some insoluble precipitate on the bottom that doesn't dissolve, but I believe that's normal. JMO, but I'd wait till Sunday for the rock.

Yep - we had a good Christmas day thank you!

Terry

ToeSloth

Well ended up with too much salt and yes that was a PITA! I had extra water made so it ended up not taking to long to get it straightened out. Need to pick up a refractometer and digital temp gauge. I don't like watching the gauges move up and down and the temp only shows up under certain light (not the one the tank) for me.

Got a picture of the oldest putting salt in, I will get that online soon.

Best,

Chris

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Refractometer highly recommended! Much more accurate and actually very easy to use. Bummer you went past the salinity - I've done that before but only in a 5 gallon mix bucket - a lot easier to adjust than a 34 gallon tank!

ToeSloth

OK I need help...

I can't get an accurate SG measurement to save my life. The hydrometer that comes with the 130D gives me a different reading almost every time I use it. I get readings from 1.022 to off the chart. I have rinsed it off with RO a couple of times as well just to make sure that wan't the issue.

I ordered a refractometer and a digital temp gauge but until they get here any additional advice. I was going to try and get rock in tomorrow but at this point I want to take it slow and get it right.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Chris

ToeSloth

I forgot to post this yesterday! I think my 7yr old is enjoying this as much as I am!

DSC00627.JPG

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Another handsome son! Is that the #1 - he looks a lot like the youngest. What's at the bottom of the tank?

For some reason I can see the pictures at the beginning of your thread, but not the last few, and I'm not sure why. I can see them if I click on the little red X, go to Picture Properties, copy the link and paste it in another browser window, but they're not displaying in the post for me.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ImTny_j4wIo/SVZ4Ww0kcvI/AAAAAAAAAnE/6WxGOVZg2es/DSC00627.JPG

Are you linking to a different picture location? Or maybe it just my browser setup. Weird.

ToeSloth

I can't figure out what is going on then with the pictures...I did why BigAl told me and I had the one at the top of the third page working then bam red X. I see the one I just posted fine...I did it the same way so I'm not sure what is going on. I copy the URL from picaso by right clicking the image and then put
brackets around it.

What is on the bottom? Not sure if you mean the extra pump I put in there just to create more circulation for when I mixed in the salt. I poured in too much from the first 4 cups and it was just sitting on the bottom of the tank. So maybe you are seeing some salt on the bottom as well.

Chris

MatthewJ

OK I need help...

I can't get an accurate SG measurement to save my life. <SNIP>

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. It was usually caused by air bubbles on the needle. Usually tapping the hydrometer bottom on something a few times would fix. I would usually test multiple times until I got the same reading a few times in a row.

FWIW, I have a heck of a time with the refractometer too. I have to reset mine every single time with RO water at the same temp as the water I'm testing. It can be off drastically otherwise.