ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
re: ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

The extra hermit(s) probably came in on the rock. I had a few hitchhikers that way also. If the one the emerald ate had no shell they are easy prey for a lot of things. :(

ToeSloth

Wow! I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since I have been on here posting. I read off and on but recently I decided that I wanted to really work on my tank to try and get it to a little better level. I'm not going anywhere for the holidays this year so this is a good time with days off to do extra work on the tank.

After reading on a bunch of different thread I purchased a mediabasket from InTank and a Aqua Medic Turboflotor blue 500 from bulf reef supplies. I have the media basket now with the media I'm going to use (another post about the media later) and the skimmer is supposed to arrive Monday. I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to attach the two really without dropping what seems to be significant dollars on the tunze magnets and clips that others are using. I thing if I did my calculations correct those pieces alone would be well over 50 dollars US. Anyways I'm looking for advice here on attachment ideas.

I also purchased new factory lamps (I have been replacing the annually) and two new fans for the hood. Put those in this morning and I can tell a huge difference already! I think I'm going to start replacing these every 6months. Now I just wish I could keep my algae blenny from perching on the zoas so they would come out more!

I have also spent some time working on the current skimmer and pump to try and get less micro bubbles, I seem to be in a good place even know I will be changing out the skimmer soon. I just want one that is going to pull out more stuff and run more media outside the chamber of death.

I also have order in for replacements for my Pure-Flo II RO/DI unit and I also purchase an inline TDI meter that I will be installing. early next week.

After that I have a order coming on the 28th for the RSM quick crew fro reefcleaners.org - I'm looking forward to having more cleaners in my tank! I think that is the one area that I really missed the boat somehow when I started up. I thought that around 10-15 snails would be enough and I could never figure out why I had so much gunk/algae on my walls versus all the other tanks I was seeing pictures of on here! I was cleaning manually honestly! :)

I expect a nice bonus at the end of the year and I plan of do a number of other things like a monitoring system and a ATO for sure. I look forwarding to sharing with you all again as you have been doing consistently with everyone else while I have been lurking.

Best!

Chris Lee

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Hi Chris - welcome back !!! - really sounds like nice additions to getting the tank back in tip top shape :dance: the snails should really help too !

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM

Welcome back! I took some time off from the forums and recently came back as well!! Let's see some pics!

ToeSloth

Thanks for the welcome back messages! I'm still looking for some thoughts on mounting the new skimmer to the media basket or the tank if anyone has any ideas. Again I do realize I could buy the magnets and the U clips from Tunze they are just half the price of the skimmer and more than the media basket. Seems like there ought to be a cheaper or a better alternative. IF I don't get any advice I will left to try something on my own which could be bad! :)

So the other item I would like to talk about is the media that I have been running and what I plan on running in the new media box. I have been running stock stuff with the sponge cut in half and carbon below the pumps (I never put in the biological filter media). Nothing else going on besides the skimmer and live rock and sand. I bought a bag of Chemi-Pure Elite for the bottom and a bag of Purigen for the middle and blue and white filter pads to cut for the top.

What do you all think? Can I take out the carbon from the chamber of death after I put this other stuff in? And if so when do I make the change? right away or do I need to wait some time with the new stuff in before removed the carbon?

Any other media items or ideas are welcome as well. I think I pulled these items that I bought from what others are doing but I could have missed something.

I will get some pictures up this coming week for sure as I'm working on the new skimmer and media box. Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Best,

Chris

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sump? Do u have pics of where u r trying to mount?

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

ToeSloth

No sump so the skimmer will go where the current one is now. I have seen a few people do this just fine it's just attaching it to the tank or media basket that I'm looking for additional advice on. I would prefer not to spend 50 dollars plus on the tunze magnets and clips.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

What do you all think? Can I take out the carbon from the chamber of death after I put this other stuff in? And if so when do I make the change? right away or do I need to wait some time with the new stuff in before removed the carbon?

If you add cpe, you can remove the carbon from the cod.

ToeSloth

Ok got in all the rest of my orders. First thing I did was replace the media in my RO/DI unit and it's running now with a TDS meter installed as well. That was a pretty easy install overall!

Ok on to the other stuff!

I got the Turboflotor all setup but I still have no way of mounting it in the back of the tank. I was looking for advice here but I have seen any of yet. Hint!!! Hint!!! ;)

Here are some shots I took tonight before during and after. (adding in a few minutes)

2d347c60.jpg

6d9da27d.jpg

f19fdbb3.jpg

b2bc0572.jpg

9b34ba70.jpg

I did sit the skimmer in the back of the tank with the new empty media basket to check it out and make sure it worked. I also was thinking sitting it in there would give me other mounting ideas. None come to mind yet!

Best,

Chris

Last edited:

ToeSloth

I didn't sleep very well. Dreaming of acrylic and magnets...going to the crafts and hobby store tonight and maybe Home Depot to find some solution for mounting the skimmer.

Have a great day everyone!

Chris

ToeSloth

ToeSloth

OK! I added the media basket and the Turboflotor 500 into the back tonight! I bought a few large rare earth magnets to affix it to the outside wall of the tank. It works...but I wouldn't call it perfect as it still wiggles when any decent amount of pressure is applied. I don't know how this compares to what I have seen others do with the Tunze clips and magnets but it sure was a lot cheaper! I will keep a look out for larger rare earth magnets to put on the outside and that will most likely make a nice difference.

Dry fit...not quite!
3d3a735a.jpg

Oh the other thing I had to do was break off one of the clips as the magnet I glued to the skimmer took up a little to much space on the inside chamber.

Clip On
8d0f7966.jpg

Clip Off
0fde859d.jpg

Up and running and adjusting the levels
cd60383c.jpg

Water lever seems a little lower all around not sure if that is do to additional displacement of the old skimmer or what. I will adjust some at the water change in a couple of days.

I added floss, purigen, and cpe into the new media basket and I haven't taken out the carbon from the chamber of death yet... so that could also be messing with water flow and levels I guess.

I dropped a PM to Mischko as well to ask him about some floss I saw that he used in the water output area that I could see but I didn't see any write up. I probably just missed it in his amazing tank thread! http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/62962-mischkos-130d-reef-tank.html

Have a great night everyone!

Best,

Chris

ToeSloth

Seems the piece of floss is keeping the bubbles down but I seem to be having restricted flow through the skimmer so I'm not getting as much production into the cup. If I turn the flow down it stops because of the floss. I'm doing something wrong for sure. Suggestions? I'll keep playing with it and report back! :)

ToeSloth

Removed the floss and added half the sponge to try and stop the micro bubbles from the water output dumping straight into the thermometer chamber.

41a301dc.jpg

I also added a couple of zoa frags- when they open up I will take a couple of pictures.

Best,

Chris

Last edited:

ToeSloth

I'm so excited to try growing new things in my tank! I hope I can do them justice..
89ed25f2.jpg

I tried to get this one in focus but to no avail, bad angle for my iPhone and it kept focusing on the plug! :)
f37634fb.jpg

Last edited: