Toadstool problem

Snowman

Hi Guys,
I have a toadstool in my tank about 2 months now, and it's about the size of a half dollar. Everything was fine until 3 days ago, it just didn't open up, and hasn't yet. Is there any signs I should be looking for. I know they close up for a while some times, but how long before I should worry? Also, is there a way of me knowing if it's still alive?
Thanks for any help,

Mike

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
It's perfectly normal for it to stay closed for a few days. How is the flow? It might be shedding. It's also possible a crab or sand has annoyed it

dmatt88

First things first buddy. Check All ur tank parameters. And share. Then we can b better prepared to help.

But as an fyi leathers get pissy n pout. They also shed. It'll last a few days to a week unless ur water has a problem.

And the rescue plan for 90% of what ails our tanks is do a wc n add carbon.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Snowman

Matt, these are my params as of late:
PH-8.2
SG-1.025
Nitrate-15.0
Ca-440
DKH-8
I did a 5 gallon wc yesterday. Is there a way of checking whether or not it's still alive?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Firm is good, mushy or squishy is bad. I had a Kenya tree that pouted for over 2 weeks and did fine after it opened back up.

Snowman

Ok, I gave it a little more flow last night, and this morning the stem was leaning from the flow. After readjusting the flow, it's upright again but still not open. I don't see any dark spots or anything, and would rather not feel it to see if it's firm (only because I think that might bother it more). Am I correct in assuming if it was dead, it wouldn't have been erect again after adjusting flow?

Thanks
Mike

engineer goby

Ok, I gave it a little more flow last night, and this morning the stem was leaning from the flow. After readjusting the flow, it's upright again but still not open. I don't see any dark spots or anything, and would rather not feel it to see if it's firm (only because I think that might bother it more). Am I correct in assuming if it was dead, it wouldn't have been erect again after adjusting flow?

Thanks
Mike

Mike my Toadstool droops and hangs low more then it ever sits upright. Usually mine is erect wshen it's closed up, other then that it hangs low. Post a pic, it's hard if not impossible to make the dead or alive call without a picture.

engineer goby

I find that to be the easiest way. Upload the pic to photobucket then just post the img code as your reply to the thread. The nice thing about doing it this way is you don't have to scale down your picture.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I would also say that your trates are high, and I see you didn't test for phos. I would suggest an additional water change as well. Everybody is correct they can and will pout for days on end only to open up better than ever. While they are not super picky I'm not to comfortable seeing your nitrates at 15. The first thing I usually do when things aren't looking happy is a water change and when done properly won't hurt a darn thing and can only help. Best of luck!

Snowman

Jjmoneyman,
I just tested my trates again before, they are under 10.0ppm on an API test kit. Everything in the tank is flourishing but that leather.
I'm going to take a pic and posted in the next few minutes for all to examine.

Thanks
Mike

Snowman

IMG]http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o515/Mmerc28/Tank/DSC_3476.jpg[/IMG]

ok guys,my first try at posting, so here is a pic of the toadstool. Hope tis helps

dmatt88

Mike my Toadstool droops and hangs low more then it ever sits upright. Usually mine is erect wshen it's closed up, other then that it hangs low. Post a pic, it's hard if not impossible to make the dead or alive call without a picture.

Tmi. Sounds like its pouting. Id still do a wc. Get those trates closer to 0.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Snowman

DSC_3476.jpg