Toadstool problem

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have the Hanna checker and got a different result 3 times on the same sample. Phosphates are difficult because they may not be in the water column at the time of testing, they could be the algae or leaching from rock or sandbed. It's safe to assume you have phosphates as its nearly impossible not to.

eric w

So based on those do I run GFO.. Or not.. If you always have it are those acceptable levels.. I know I will hear zero is the only safe level.. So what do I do??

engineer goby

Run the GFO it won't hurt and might help. Try and keep flow around the toadstool medium without being direct and try not to disturb him. They can be very temperamental and handling them can make them pout for several days. Lastly grab a beer and relax

Snowman

Eric,
I also use the API test kit and get the same readings as you for the last 1 1/2 yrs. i don't think the amount showing is going to be a problem. You should have gotten 2 color charts for Phosphates with your API test kit, one for saltwater and one for fresh water. As others have suggested I wouldn't be moving the toadstool around too much. The more you bother it, the longer it wil stay closed up. It just might need some time to go through whatever it is.

Mike

Snowman

Eric,
I also use the API test kit and get the same readings as you for the last 1 1/2 yrs. i don't think the amount showing is going to be a problem. You should have gotten 2 color charts for Phosphates with your API test kit, one for saltwater and one for fresh water. As others have suggested I wouldn't be moving the toadstool around too much. The more you bother it, the longer it wil stay closed up. It just might need some time to go through whatever it is.

Mike

eric w

just a quick update...he finally starting sheding and has open a little all day..thanks for the help...did not realize how much effort a fish tank was going to be...feels like a have 4 kids instead of 3....

engineer goby

just a quick update...he finally starting sheding and has open a little all day..thanks for the help...did not realize how much effort a fish tank was going to be...feels like a have 4 kids instead of 3....

glad he's opening up, should be fully open by the end of the day or tomorrow

Snowman

Good news! Like Rob said, he should be completely opened by days end or tomorrow.Mine took 2 days to finally open all the way. And yes, a tank is like raising another kid!

dmatt88

Well there ya go. Keep this in mind n please don't take offense. Chill out in this hobby. Things get weird. Colors get weird. Fish disappear. Corals lose n gain color. Take a deep breath n watch ur ecosystem develop. Its fun. Just let it all flow. Matt

.............stay thirsty my friend.

eric w

Thanks.. And no offense taken.. But if I can prevent something from dying... I figure it can hurt to ask..thanks again all...

dmatt88

I hear ya dude. I was there. Now I understand that things do weird stuff so I pour a cocktail n pull up a chair. We as hobbiests tend to overreact pouring crap in our tanks to help out. Reality is, when there is an issue or a pending issue ya do a wc n add some charcoal. Get the stuff OUT of the tank. N if ur running t5 lights make sure they're not too old. Enjoy the ride dude. Its gonna b crazy for a year or 2. Then something else happens but the basics don't change. Cheers mate. :beer:

.............stay thirsty my friend.