Tim/Val's RSM 250

tvreaves

We may have made a mistake. We headed out to the local LFS to get 2 common clownfish, then the hubby saw the maroon clownfish, and we ended up taking one home. It's not until now that I am reading up on the maroon specifically and finding out that they are the largest and can get quite aggressive, especially with age. My plan was to get all easy, non-aggressive fish. Any thoughts?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Val. Do you have any previous fish or was the Maroon the first? I'm not sure what to tell you. The Maroons are rated as one of the larger, more aggressive types, but every fish is different. You may be fine, but I guess only time will tell. I suppose you could return it, if you can catch it without a lot of difficulty.

thfwp-smiley-09.gif

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a maroon along with a "normal" clownfish and they get along just fine. Granted they are still young and small, but they are happy.

Val - How's your tank temperature been since you have the new pump?

tvreaves

Greg, glad to hear you have a maroon. Right now I just have the maroon and two green chromis as far as fish go. The maroon is about 2.5 inches, much larger than the chromis, but he hasn't shown the slightest bit of aggression and he is happy to let the skunk cleaner get a hold of him. He watches me as much as I watch him. Terry, I'm going to go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt. I did with my rescued pit bull mix and he has been amazing.

My tank is hot, it gets up to 84-85 degrees. It did on hot days before I got the sicce so I'm not upset with the pump. The temp. seems to be fine for the hardy fish but I do plan on getting a chiller at some point so that I can turn off the two back cooling fans and cut down on the noise.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds good Val. As I said no 2 fish seem to behave the same, so the way yours is behaving, as well as Greg's, it all looks like it'll work out just fine. :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hey Val - those temps make sense. It seems that the tank will run about 7 to 8 degrees or so above the ambient temperature. My house was at 78 degrees and I was seeing temperatures of around 86-87 degrees prior to adding the chiller.

tvreaves

Sorry, I was a silly highschool girl when New Kids on the Block were popular...went to over 10 concerts...they are a part of me...lol.

tvreaves

I just wanted to post a FTS at 2 months...not much to show except proof that I am doing at least one thing right...going slowly. Unfortunately, it is because the only decent LFS in the area is closed on Sunday, Tim's only day off.

Tankat2Months008.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's shaping up nicely and the tank is so nice and clean after 2 months! That LFS being closed on your one day off is not only keeping you from going too fast - it's also saving you a lot of money!

fruit bat

Hi Tim / Val..

How did you set up you skimmer ? We set up our 250 yesterday and I am finding the Skimmer a little frustrating. The air valve turns a little without any effect till you get to a certain point when it then goes balistic and spews far too much froth / water. It seems that the air valve is so sensitive it is going to be very difficult finding the right setting. I have screwed the neck up and then lowered it till the froth is at the lip, but I am not sure if this is correct as it seems to overskim quite easily. Any advice ?

tvreaves

Hi Chris and Sarah,

Unfortunately, what I do, is babysit the skimmer and water level. I work from home so I am able to check on it many times a day. If I couldn't, I would definitely get another skimmer, and probably should anyway. I keep the "gate" almost all the way up, the neck all the way down, try my best to keep the water level constant, and make the tiniest of adjustments to the air valve. You are right, it is very easy to turn the tiniest bit too much and end up with major flow. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. I don't have a chiller yet, if you do you will probably have less water evaporation (I run the cooling fans 24/7) and will be able to keep the water level more constant which should result in less water top-offs and skimmer adjustments (I would imagine).