Tim/Val's RSM 250

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Just my opinion but in a new tank there won't be much in the sandbed to keep a sand sifting from starving to death. I lost one quickly adding one soon after my tank was set up. Nassarius snails might be better for aerating the sandbed, but the hermits might dine on a few.

tnwillia

It looks great, Go with what you have on your Aquascape. Believe me, your going to change it around many times in the next 6 months. You'll get what you want down the road. Have fun!

Dweezil

IMO ~ Way too many hermits. I don't have any. I would get many more snails and alot less Hermits. As Terry pointed out Hermits will eat snails.
I would also wait on the startfish and the urchin.

If it were me, I would go with a combination of Cerith, Nassarius, Astraea and maybe Banded Trochus snails and have a few Hermits if you like them.
2 Emerald crabs will fine.

Like I said that's just my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. ;-)

tvreaves

Thanks all for the support on the rockscape. I've already fiddled with it enough that it is no longer close to the photos I posted. I'll take a new photo after I get the CUC. We'll probably be getting them this weekend. I may wait on the sand sifting starfish.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats :woohoo: I really like the rockscape !

just some thoughts... to consider... no "right & wrong" way to proceed here... just ... imo

(20) blue legged hermits ---- crabs eat snails
(1) small pin cushion urchin ---- think I let the tank mature a few months 1st
(2) red legged hermits ---- crabs eat snails
(1 or 2) emerald crabs ----- really like emerald crabs... mine well behaved & has not eaten any of my snails...
(1) sand sifting starfish ---- think I let the tank mature a few months 1st

(5) turbo snails - love snails...
(1 or 2) peppermint shrimp - like... love cleaner shrimp
(2) clowns - Love pair clownfish !!!

In a rsm 250 I would add an assortment of snails... start with maybe 40 or 50 - Ceriths, Nassarius, Margarita Turbos, Astrea & Banded Trochus, Mexican Turbos

Love snails for CUC & sw reef tanks

tvreaves

It's bedtime and the hubby and I will sleep soundly. We are both "currently" very happy with the rockscape. :) I'm researching snails...thinking about 10 asterea, 20 trochus, 12 cerith, and 30 nerite for now. Am I going to constantly be worried about "flipping" asterea or will I only rarely need to turn them back over? That is what is on my mind right now. Good night all!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Am I going to constantly be worried about "flipping" asterea or will I only rarely need to turn them back over

In one year... I have flipped over not more than five snails five times, they must right themselves, as I hardly ever do it for them... no crabs to get um, when they are upside down... might be helping. I think I have lost 3 or 4 snails in one year, not sure if that was related to me not helping them out or not.

tvreaves

I've searched the ID threads and have been unable to ID something I found today. It is hanging from the rock (in the center of the picture). I would describe it as a fuzzy white sack with a hole at the bottom. Can anyone ID this? I'll post it in the ID thread if not. I just like coming to this group first.:heart:
Fuzzy.jpg

tvreaves

He does look quite similar (not exactly) to the scypha sponge and the article said the scypha is about the size of a grain of rice. My guy is quite a bit bigger than a grain of rice I would say. So, he may be a scypha or a close relative? Funny, I didn't know that a sponge could look like an insects egg sack. I thought it would look more like, say, a sponge. :ponder2: Thanks Glenn and Terry!

tvreaves

LOL...Glenn...I read your last post after I posted mine. We both came up with the "right on". You didn't stick with "bingo"...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Mine are bigger than a grain of rice, maybe 1/2 inch long. I can't guarantee 100% that I'm correct, but I'm pretty sure LOL! Yes- weird looking sponges, and the pineapple name suits them pretty well, except yours is upside down. :) They seem to be pretty common, and always popping up in the ID forum.