Tim/Val's RSM 250

tvreaves

Here we go...day 3. Our first attempt at SW. The only issue so far is that we can't figure out how to take off the skimmer cup. We end up pulling out the entire unit with the motor. We have 20lb base and 35lb LR. We are cycling it without the bioballs, charcoal, or skimmer. We have the lights on for 7 hrs a day. We welcome any constructive criticism. Thanks!
SaltWaterAquariumDay2007.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tim and Val - Looks great !!!
1218.gif
Your off to a good start!

Love the open look - lots of nice options for adding coral !

pocketreef

Good start. Plenty of room. :laugh:

No big deal with the skimmer cup, do some kindly shaking left and right that eventually the cup disconnects from the body. Remove the air tube before. I usually do not turn off the skimmer.

tvreaves

I gave the skimmer cup a little shake, it came off, thanks! But...I turned on the skimmer pump to check things out and it isn't working. I only tried it for a few minutes the first day of set up and it was working then. The pump has a little hum but no water is being pumped in. Any thoughts?

pocketreef

That is why I said I usually do not turn the skimmer off....

You'd better contact RedSea and ask for a new pump. Check some threads about your problem, plenty of info.

tvreaves

Thanks...I've spent several hours over the past few weeks reading about these Hydor pumps. I just didn't think it would happen to me and so quickly! I emailed Red Sea to see if I could exchange it brand new for the Sicce pump before I even took it out of the box but was told "no". I was hoping maybe I hooked something up wrong but I guess it really isn't that complicated. Time to call Red Sea...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I emailed Red Sea to see if I could exchange it brand new for the Sicce pump before I even took it out of the box but was told "no".

This is not right... the new pump can't cost Red Sea $30 - get it together Red Sea - raise the price of your RSM 250 the wholesale price of the new pump & ship the new pump with the new RSM 250's. Then give all the current RSM owners the chance to buy them at your price, if you won't own up to the problem & replace them to start with.

I am in the market for a RSM 250 right now & they won't sell me one without the new pump.

Sorry tvreaves - you deserve better ! Hope you get the new pump soon!

tvreaves

Thanks Glenn! I hope I can get a new pump without much trouble. I'm having so much fun right now and don't want anything to ruin it.

Val

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hey Val,

You are welcome - I am sure Pinky will ship you a new one very soon, I hope it's a new model. I have ran my 130D for 11 months now stock & zero problems and every post says Pinky gives great support.

If it helps... during the cycle, you really don't need a skimmer, most recommend not skimming, so it won't hurt a thing - if say, you have to wait a week to get a replacement !
050.gif

Glad you are enjoying the fun !!! Now you can rock watch too
1016.gif

I am usually always very very positive in all my post, but somehow... your pump going out right away & the fact you could not get the new one, struck me as less than the best... made me go off on them.

Glad to hear you all are enjoying the new tank, minus this small bump in the road.
358.gif

I love the RSM 250, the most beautiful tank on the market imo.

tvreaves

LOL Glenn. I understand. When I get some time I'll check out your thread. I never would have guessed how much I would enjoy looking at a pile of rocks. I went to clean a smudge off the tank this morning and found out that it was a little bitty starfish...made my day! I'm in no panic about the skimmer yet. The guy who set it up for me said I didn't need to run it for a while. I really just turned it on for curiousity because of all I had read about it.

Val

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tim - you could check the impeller in the skimmer pump and see if it's broken or jammed. The rock looks really nice with lots of spots for corals. It was nice to see you started a tank thread, but my goodness - I hated to hear about the skimmer pump jamming up already. I would call Pinky Monday and demand the Sicce pump at no charge - this is getting ridiculous with continuing to send out new 250's with the Hydor pump! The least they could do is send out the Sicce pump in a separate box with all new tanks, if they don't want to have to open the boxes to do a switch. It's just not fair to take a chance on having new owners start out with a problem. grrrrrrrr!

tvreaves

Tim and I both took the pump apart to try to get it working. It's officially junk. I spoke to Pinky this morning and she is going to send out a new pump. She did ask which brand it was and I told her it was the Hydor. Unfortunately, I was afraid to ask which brand she was sending back to me. She already told me "no" once to the Sicce. I know I should have demanded the Sicce but I'm a wimp!

Here we are at day 5. We added another 9 lbs of LR.

Val

SaltWaterAquariumDay2009.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looks fantastic - I can picture a ton of corals ($$$) on those rocks! :) Hope you get the Sicce pump, and not another Hydor.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks great - I can see it added some more height
1015.gif
Hope you get the new pump ! If not & it happens again, you will have built a good case to ask for one.

PS - I bet your not a wimp - just nice !
1016.gif