The Tucker's Red Sea 650

We just got into the hobby a little less than a year ago. Our first tank was a 130d. We love the tank but decided we need a bigger tank. At Macna we fell in love with the metallic red 650 that was on display we also spent a ton of time at the booth admiring the tank. On Monday we walked into a lfs and saw the same exact tank marked way down. After a night to sleep on it, we decided to waste 4k on an aquarium.

It took several trips in my truck and the hell of several people to get the tank in the house. It's up and running now. Everything except for the ato. I have a leak in the cap that connects the reservoir to the tube. I haven't tried it again after fiddling with it but the store we bought it from said to let him know if there was anything missing or broken and he'd have it drop shipped to us.

My wife is currently working on the rockwork. There is about 175 pounds of rock so far. We may add or remove some of it. Not sure how we want the rock yet.

The only upgrade so far is an MP40. We have thought about removing the good and putting radians or Vegas over the tank since bulbs will be so expensive to replace.

I want to start a thread so people can help me out with any suggestions or problems I have but also to share anything we do. If I don't update the thread often it's because I'm busy. My wife and I are both teachers that maintain a 90 gallon aquarium that was donated to our high school through my wife's hard work.

Here are a few pictures of our tank so far.

udema5y5.jpg

eqy9y2yn.jpg

Ill post a few more pics once we finish the aquascaping.

Nob35

Congrats on the tank. I'm in the process of working out the bugs with mine right now, well problems I caused by setting it up then leaving for 8 days on vacation. You do not need to remove the hood to put LEDs on the tank, check out my thread I installed 4 Vegas in the front section of my hood any they seem to work very well so far. I will be following along to see how your tank comes along

Our Big Upgrade 650 Tank Build

Here's a picture of the 130d that we will be moving everything from to the new behemoth of a tank.
ytaby9ud.jpg

It may look a bit empty but we have already removed a few corals to store in the school aquarium. I plan to frag them and and return to our new tank.

Nob35

Only time I run them right now is when I turn the Vegas off to do something in the tank. I see no need to run the T5's with them when I'm only running the Vegas at 70% white, 75% blue, 78% r. Blue, 80% d.blue, 50% green and 40% red. I will be trying to bring them up a little more but have to wait to get coral in so I can watch for bleaching and see where to stop. The way I installed mine if I ever want to put the T5's back in I will be able to do that also but don't think that will happen unless I'm selling the tank and want to keep the Vegas. The Vegas are the only complete unit I found that will fit outside of strip and DIY systems

Nob35

Also forgot to say but I had the same problem with ATO I unscrewed it and checked the o-ring and put back on and no leaks. The spout needs to be strait down do not over tighten as this is not a threaded cap, it is a twist lock so once it seats itself that's it,only about a 1/3rd turn to 1/2 turn. You was lucky only 4 gallons I had about 9 when I noticed. Lol

Nob35

Yes I have 4 color Vegas the bottom pics are with the hood down and you really can not tell that much was done
25915fd4a8c02acd6410cc4e61a3e36f_zps2098f503.jpg

f65bbc40dce989629d06f7fd7ad0845f_zpsd853fd46.jpg

3568e52cf252187672570eb5fda99258_zps65f3598b.jpg

I bet that adds some weight. It's not too heavy? I'm not sure i can afford 4 of them. But that is what I'd like to do eventually.

Nob35

They are only a little over 3 lbs each so total about 13to14lbs, but with all the T5 equipment out that was about 4to5lbs and with all the heat sink I cut out at probably about 2to3lbs they only added about 5to6lbs overall and could be less just not sure on the t5 weights. I think you could get away with 3 but may have some low par/pur areas, i always like to have more then i need. If you decide to use the Vegas and plan to start with 2 or 3 and get to 4 later make sure you measure out for 4 and cut only those areas so you do not have to recut later.i think to start with 2 in the center and also using the 2 t5's in the center section would not be to bad for a while but using the t5's really does take all the colors you get from the Vargas out. The cutting is very time consuming unless you know someone with a machine shop to do it for you. It took me about 4 days to get it how I wanted using a dremel with metal cutting wheels. If you decide not to cut for them they will sit about a 1/2" lower and you will be able to see them hanging below the canopy
109c480cb1ae11668f3067b988717956_zps709ada3b.jpg

517e499d01fc4fcb252fa483760f3b80_zpsd4143563.jpg

This pic is of only blues on right now with all below 20% going into night mode, but my pictures do not do it justice

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Congrats on the new tank. I love that red one. I fell in love with the color at MACNA as well. Look forward to following along with your thread.

Does anyone have a problem with the main return creating a vortex and spitting bubbles into the tank? I have it at the level it's supposed to be. It seems like they should have moved that return a bit lower.

Nob35

Yes this will happen until you get it set correctly and once you fix that problem it will probably cause another as it will start blowing a hole in the sand bed. I have a temporary fix on mine and should have some pipe in this week to make it look better
6ceae073ce07a9d30c46c3b3e5886565_zps1f3c0960.jpg

I will be trying to put a 90* elbow with a piece of pipe going to the bottom of the tank with a cap on the end then will drill holes on 2 sides as to get some flow behind the rocks

That's a major design flaw. It should have been out down an inch or two further in the tank.

I think we fixed the ato. I removed the cap and put it back on. I put a little water at a time while my wife checked for leaks. It seems to be good right now. I haven't set the drip up yet. I'm going to let it evaporate a bit since we had about 3 gallons dump in.

Does everyone run the tank level at the line that Red Sea suggests? The last line on the viewing window is their suggestion. Also, it also suggests a sump level of 8". Is that the consensus here?

Been working on the rocks some more. It's taking a long time and is getting really frustrating.

Nob35

I had weeks to work on most of my rocks as I had the tank for a month before putting water in it. I keep the water in the aquarium at the top line or a little above as for the sump I redid all the walls in my sump so not sure if its the same level as a stock one in mine I have a over under over wall between the refugium and the return area I just keep about a 1/2" drop out of refugium for my level not sure how many inches deep it is though will have to check later.

Ok. I set up the drip for my top off. I just got home and the level has dropped significantly. My drip may be too slow. How quick a drip do y'all set?

Nob35

Mine is set at 1 drip every 2 to 3 seconds right now. You will not know for sure how to set it till you have everything dialed in correctly and your not having to stick your hands in every day. You have to figure every time you stick a arm in to move something that wipes out a hour or so of the drip with the water that comes out of the tank on your arms plus will have to add salt to make up for it. Also the evaporation seems different with each tank and temp.

I guess I don't understand why it has to be a really slow drip. Doesn't the valve keep it from putting in too much? We've never had an ato so this is new to me. I know we got more tank than what we can handle.