The Tucker's Red Sea 650

Choff

Nice looking scape!

For me it has been a never ending process over the last 4 months. I hated my original rock wall and did a full tear down and ended up with a nice island and another large island that was really a partial rock wall. Recently I ripped apart the large island and split it into 2 more islands. I love the middle island and my original left island. Right island needs some love now..

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Our Big Upgrade 650 Tank Build

Thank you Choff.

We worked hard on getting our cave system built. There is a large shelf rock on the left side and we built the rock up pretty high in the tank so that we have a wide range of light for different types of coral. When we get all of the rocks on the sand placed I will make a video so you can see the detail we think we have. Of course we are not good at doing the rock. We actually really hate it. But we are proud of this effort. This is the third tank we've set up in the past year. Our 130d was a huge rubble pile with some small caves. The school aquarium we set up has an arch that we mortared together. Ill never do the mortar again. Pain in the but. I hope this is the last build for a long time.

I just hope we didnt get in over our heads with this tank. We've only been in the hobby since march.

Choff

Well you guys did great. I like the caves and you have a lot of good coral options.

I'm also brand new to the hobby. This 650 is my first tank and I have had it running for 4 or 5 months now . I fully credit this site and the folks here for any modicum of success I have managed. Best $50 investment I have made.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Mcnjenn

All these post are so informative. My tank comes in next Friday. I'll take some photos and post them in a thread. In the mean time I'm gonna be reading through all of the threads I can find about the 650's

Any tips for set up day?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Start a new thread... you can click here to do it - maybe something like - Tips for setting up a new S Series tank

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=180

or click on the Blue button +Post New Thread found at the top of the RSM Club forum

That way you will get lots of tips... members might not want to post here in FishOuttaWater's tank thread :)

One is watch the great setup vids... start a thread & I will post some links

Sailagain

All these post are so informative. My tank comes in next Friday. I'll take some photos and post them in a thread. In the mean time I'm gonna be reading through all of the threads I can find about the 650's

Any tips for set up day?

Dont try to move the tank with less than 5 people :banghead:

The Red Sea instruction manual isn't very good - if you have questions ask in this Forum! I got a lot of great info here!

Good luck - took me two days to set up stand/sump by myself - and 3 people to move my 500 series tank... one ruined his back! :(

Nob35

Yes please start your own thread so we can all follow along on your progress. I always like to see what others are doing and see if there is anything I will try on mine it is also good to have your own so you are not having conversations on others threads even though I think most do not mind, at least I do not. Once started I will tell all that I have learned setting up mine. Good luck! And welcome

Choff

Plan your system, not just your tank. How are you going to make RODI and mix your SW and do WC so it's not a painful chore? You may not mind now while the tank is new, but how about in a year? The easier you make it, the more likely you will keep up with your husbandry and overall enjoy your tank more. You will need/want to do approx 20G of SW/wk and another 10G of RODI into your ATO. Get easy test kits. I really like the Red Sea ones for reef foundation, API for cycling and hannah checker for phosphate. Milwaukee refractometer for salinity.

There are also some very good videos of tank builds. I found the manual good enough. The only thing I missed was the the elbow that went on the main pump. I also fought with the screws quite a bit until I got the torque settings right on my driver.

Take your time on your rock scape and love it before you fill it. It will just cause you grief down the road if you hate your scape.

Go slow and enjoy it. :D

.....where the hell was I when I started mine???

Very important to take your time on your rockscape. I refuse to pull the rock out after its done. So I want it perfect to start.

We received the elbow, carbon bags, and protein skimmer piping. I got it installed and everything seems to be good. Gone for a day or two. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Thank you Choff.

Of course we are not good at doing the rock. We actually really hate it. But we are proud of this effort. This is the third tank we've set up in the past year. Our 130d was a huge rubble pile with some small caves. The school aquarium we set up has an arch that we mortared together. Ill never do the mortar again.

What my husband failed to mention that this is my 6th aquarium and his 3rd. I've been teaching aquatic science for a couple of years. (Not this year since we are at a new school that only has 9th and 10th.) The way "approved vendors" for schools treat saltwater life is down right cruel. Basically you mix your salt in tap water, throw a little dechlorinator, and then add all the animals in at once because they will not ship them separately. It also gives you directions on how to "dispose" of the animals at the end of the year. I couldn't do it. I loved all my little creatures so tank #2 was this weird hexagonal aquarium someone gave me, and I'm embarrassed to say I just had a HOT filter like you would see in freshwater. I had every intention that once school started back up I would take them back. Well that's when tank #3 came into the scene. Didn't get it up and running until the spring because of cost, etc. well every thing kept dying. Fish that would get at different stores, chromis, large chromis, and a damsel. However, all the invertebrates survived. --no way was I going to bring my creatures up there. I spend my entire springbreak trying to "fix" whatever problem I was having. My husband saw how miserable I was so he broken down and bought us our little Red Sea max. Then something very strange happened.... He all of a sudden became very interested in this hobby. So long story short, that is our journey through saltwater that has let us here today. :)

Just wondering how many of you with the s series had to purchase a chiller?i keep my house between 65-72 throughout the year. I don't even have the lights on yet and it's hovering around 80-81 degrees. I don't have this problem with my 130. I'm able to keep it pretty steady at 79-80 all year.

Matt

Nob35

Just wondering how many of you with the s series had to purchase a chiller?i keep my house between 65-72 throughout the year. I don't even have the lights on yet and it's hovering around 80-81 degrees. I don't have this problem with my 130. I'm able to keep it pretty steady at 79-80 all year.

Matt

I think almost everyone one with the 650 has a chiller except me, but I changed to LEDs to keep from having to get a chiller. With LEDs, a compact fluorescent over refugium running 24 hrs and pumps, my tank is staying between 78 and 80 with my house ranging from 68 to 74.
My heater is set at 76 and I don't think it has come on since the second day after setting it up. From what I have seen the sump area holds alot of heat and with 800w of lighting it will heat up quickly. At the end of this month I will be changing refugium light to LEDs also, the only reason they are not already is because the lights I ordered were back ordered till 12-26-12 so I have to wait.

If you are able changing to LEDs I think will be well worth the money. If you take in the fact that more than likely you will not need a chiller, no bulbs to replace and and the energy savings. Which all of these could run you more than $500 a year.

I'm not sure why Red Sea did not include the chiller with the setup knowing with 800w of lighting it was probably going to be needed.

I was hoping to avoid having to buy a chiller until the summer but if it stays at 80 when the lights are off its going to be a problem. It's been a warm fall for us though. Ac has been running white a bit lately.

Nob35

You can try getting a fan to blow across the top of the water, that may help some also figuring out a way to vent the sump area will probably help as this is where I'm getting most of my heat from. When I open the doors it feels like a steam bath so just putting fresh air in would probably drop the temp of my tank by 1 or 2 degrees.

If you try either of these please let us know how it goes as I have been debating putting a exhaust fan in the sump area, but trying to hold off till I get the LEDs to see how much of a change they will make.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a post I think you will enjoy...related to Reef Temperature - small extract below...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lenns-if-interested-thread-5.html#post1067157

Ron Shimek's Website...Critters

"The average temperature calculated for all 1000 + coral reefs was 81.7°F. Over all reefs, the average lowest temperature observed was 76.4°F, and the average highest temperature was 86.4°F. One way that these data could be interpreted would be to say that for most corals and coral reef animals, the best conditions would be between 76°F and 86°F, with the average being about 82°F."

Choff

Will have to read that when I get home. I followed the lead of several seasoned pros and dropped my tank down to 78.

Sadly, you will need a chiller or swap to leds. It's kind of a bite in the behind to swap out to leds after what we paid for these tanks, but simply put they will pay for themselves in just a few years. Bulbs alone will run you 600/yr, the lights themselves are energy pigs and then add in a chiller.

I'm just waiting a bit before I do it. As much as I like what Nob did, I want something a bit more custom. I want to keep 4 t5s and add led strips. I bought 20 ati bulbs not that long ago so I have a year + to blow through those before I convert. Well see what the market does by then

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Nob35

Yes hopefully in a year maybe Red Sea will have something at least to supplement the t5's, maybe do away with the center t5 and put all LEDs instead. I would probably get it to supplement the Vegas I already put in.

We are considering the LEDs but not sure i can spend that money yet. Maybe when we replace bulbs. I'm leaning towards the radions because I have heard they have better coverage and I like that they can be programmed to work along with the mp40 we bought. I'm not sure i would go with the new 900 dollar option. Probably go with the 650 dollar option. Any thoughts on radions vs Vegas? I hope I didn't already ask this question. I started this post with one idea and went on a tangent a bit.

Matt