The Tucker's Red Sea 650

Nob35

First for me also but I guess you want it slow so it doesn't bring down salinity on a large portion of water without giving it a chance to mix. I also measured water in sump my general area in sump is holding between 10"-10.5" and my return area is 8"-8.5"

LucienBM

I guess I don't understand why it has to be a really slow drip. Doesn't the valve keep it from putting in too much? We've never had an ato so this is new to me. I know we got more tank than what we can handle.

Change in a reef tank needs to happen slowly. Those mechanical float valves are not really precise and subject to circumstances that we might not anticipate. What if you've pushed something against the float valve so it is stuck in the closed position. Then you notice it (or maybe not) and move whatever is causing the valve to hang up. Then you get a quick slug of fresh water changing your salinity quickly. Not always a huge problem, but it would be better if it changed slowly dripping the top off water.

Do you plan to add kalk to your top off water? If so, then that becomes even more problematic and you will definitely need to drip the top off solution to avoid large swings of pH.

Mine is adjusted to 1-2 drips per second and I get no more than 0.03 increase in pH whenever top off water is added. I use a weak solution of kalk for top off. No more than 4 teaspoons per 10 gallons premixed before I add to the top off reservoir.

Our Big Upgrade 650 Tank Build

Part of our problem is that since this was the same tank used by Red Sea at macna there were a few parts missing. I'm missing the elbow for my return pump and also the upgraded skimmer pipe. I'm also missing a couple of end caps. The lfs that sold it to me said he will have them drop ship everything that is missing or damaged. I think the elbow is the biggest problem because the return pump keeps sucking air.

LucienBM

Part of our problem is that since this was the same tank used by Red Sea at macna there were a few parts missing. I'm missing the elbow for my return pump and also the upgraded skimmer pipe. I'm also missing a couple of end caps. The lfs that sold it to me said he will have them drop ship everything that is missing or damaged. I think the elbow is the biggest problem because the return pump keeps sucking air.

The water level in my pump section is 2-3 inches above the pump inlet without the elbow. I don't think it would suck air with that water level. Could you go to the hardware store and find an elbow that would fit on that inlet? It shouldn't cost over $1 and even if it doesn't fit exactly, it should help eliminate the problem of sucking air. Waiting on the Red Sea folks can be time consuming....I finally had to have the LFS owner contact the sales rep to get the attention I needed for a replacement part for the light.

The store where I bought it had already contacted Red Sea about the parts and said I should have them this week.

My water level is probably 3-4 inches above the pump as well but I still get a vortex occasionally.

LucienBM

The store where I bought it had already contacted Red Sea about the parts and said I should have them this week.

My water level is probably 3-4 inches above the pump as well but I still get a vortex occasionally.

Good luck....it looks like you're getting plenty of help on the forum. I hope you enjoy your S650 as much as I have.

Choff

You should contact RS about the ato cap. I think they shipped out with 1 initially and then replaced it I assume due to some flaw. When I got mine, there was an ato cap in the bundle and the another replacement one in a separate pack and it said to use that one. Perhaps the macna build had the old one?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Choff

The water level should be 8 in the sump return area and you should have a grey 90 deg elbow on the pump intake pointing down. If you don't have the elbow, you will vortex at the 8in level. I didn't attach mine initially and had the same issue.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Lucien.

Choff I think the lfs owner probably pulled the upgrades off and put them on his. He said he is having it all shipped to us. The elbow and the skimmer pipe extension are something I want ASAP. Hopefully this week. I think the top off cap is fine now. It's not leaking after resetting it on the reservoir.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You can call Red Sea too... many times they will ship the same day - if this helps

U.S.A. Office: Red Sea 18125 Ammi Trail Houston, Texas 77060

Tel: (281) 447-0205 Fax: (281) 447-1153

Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9

Nob35

Yes if you have any problems or need replacement parts call Red Sea, I had a problem with the center light fixture and called 2 days later ups dropped a new light fixture at my door. So far any questions or problems I had was solved soon after giving them a call, from what I seen so far they have great customer service at least here in the U.S. the only problem I have run into that they have not been able to solve is that all pipes and fittings are metric and that is not really not there problem since they are not a U.S. company and you can find most by doing a quick search online for the part or bringing part to local hardware and matching up what you need.

Still working on the aquascaping but we have most of it done. The loose rocks you see on the ground will find a place either in the sump or in our aquarium at school. It looks better in person. Three large caves and plenty of sand for us to put stuff in the sandbed.
nymavebu.jpg
e9egebys.jpg
ybasuzas.jpg

It's not the big rubble pile that it looks like in the pictures. There are plenty of caves for fish and shelves for corals.

sjordan

Hi fishouttawater, I actually met you at the lfs when you dropped your phone. I was the guy who got the 500 from the same store. Anyway just wanted to say hi. The tank looks great. I need to post a thread for mine.

Hey. Yeah I remember you. I was not in a good mood after shattering my iPhone 5. I hope everything is going well with your tank.

Mcnjenn

How many pounds do you have in the tank? And what type of rock are you using?

Just ordered my 650 and trying to figure out the logistic

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
plenty of sand for us to put stuff in the sandbed

I like this ^

Nice caves - looks like you will have lots of places to mount corals too ! :dance:

Mcnjenn

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Congrats on your new RSM 650 - Be sure to start a tank thread & share your tank with us, we love pics :dance:

We have about 180 pounds of rock in the tank right now. The white rocks you see are just dry rocks we bought at the lfs for base. About 50 pounds is dry real reef rock I won at MACNA. Then we bought an additional 55 pounds of live real reef rock at the lfs. Real reef Rock is pretty expensive. Part of the deal on the aquarium was that he would sell us real reef rock for 3.79/pound. That's dirt cheap for that stuff. The rock is painted purple to have the appearance of coralline algae.